Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    I know this wasnt directed at me, but that at C3 exam was very nasty. My worst maths module, but I hope that it wasn't too bad and the grade boundaries are forgiving. I'm doing an EPQ as well, its definitely lots of work

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's cool

I know, it was horrible. And I think I could have gotten more marks than I did if I wasn't so concerned about how I was going to finish some of the truly difficult questions. That's the thing I have a problem with- the grade boundaries won't take into account how different people react different to unexpected situations. Especially for the year 13s - if I'd been under pressure to meet an offer I know I would have done a lot worse.

What are you doing your EPQ about? I'm doing mine about India... To be honest I can't really be bothered to do it, but I guess I'll try. There's just so much else to do!

Are you doing any essay competitions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1717)
    It's cool

I know, it was horrible. And I think I could have gotten more marks than I did if I wasn't so concerned about how I was going to finish some of the truly difficult questions. That's the thing I have a problem with- the grade boundaries won't take into account how different people react different to unexpected situations. Especially for the year 13s - if I'd been under pressure to meet an offer I know I would have done a lot worse.

What are you doing your EPQ about? I'm doing mine about India... To be honest I can't really be bothered to do it, but I guess I'll try. There's just so much else to do!

Are you doing any essay competitions?
    I entered the RES essay competition and I got highly commended for that. My EPQ is about development economics as well. Hopefully if grades aren't as good as expected, then extra-curriculars related to economics can pull us up as they show passion for the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Which of Edinburgh and Bristol do you guys think are better for Economics (and Philosophy)?
    Never really considered university in Scotland but been browsing the Edinburgh website and it looks really nice, trying to decide which of the two I'd like most...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    I agree this is slightly strange how we have so many similarities haha.
    It really is scary how fierce the competition is for economics and how many applicants per place there are at the top universities. I'm already preparing for rejections but I'm literally praying for good AS results, I'm already s**ting bricks about results day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, so much competition but I guess that's one of the reasons Economics is regarded highly.

I just wish results day was a bit later, part of me doesn't want to know my results. Since I only have 3 weeks of relaxing before I'm thrown back in to school + UCAS work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    I entered the RES essay competition and I got highly commended for that. My EPQ is about development economics as well. Hopefully if grades aren't as good as expected, then extra-curriculars related to economics can pull us up as they show passion for the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh wow, congrats! I'm about to enter one - do you have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    The thing that will make your essay stand out is the content. Make sure what you are saying is well researched and well thought out. Know what you are going to say and make sure it is relevant to the question - keep referring back to the question throughout the essay. The essay should be structured in such a way that allows you to clearly and precisely convey your points without any waffle or unnecessary long words. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Yeah, so much competition but I guess that's one of the reasons Economics is regarded highly.

I just wish results day was a bit later, part of me doesn't want to know my results. Since I only have 3 weeks of relaxing before I'm thrown back in to school + UCAS work.
    Yeah thats how I feel. I'm giving myself this week to relax so I'm not doing any work whatsoever but then i've got to crack on with my EPQ next week

ReputationRep:
    What competition are you entering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Yeah thats how I feel. I'm giving myself this week to relax so I'm not doing any work whatsoever but then i've got to crack on with my EPQ next week
    Once again, same, I'm also doing an EPQ but really procrastinating since I need to ask real people questions for my research but leaving it late. Need to have most the research completed before my school ends, which is next Wednesday.

What's yours about? Mines a mixture of game theory and behavioral economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Once again, same, I'm also doing an EPQ but really procrastinating since I need to ask real people questions for my research but leaving it late. Need to have most the research completed before my school ends, which is next Wednesday.

What's yours about? Mines a mixture of game theory and behavioral economics.
    I'm doing mine on the minimum pricing of alcohol. It's quite an easy topic to find information on due to its regular appearances in the news so I don't think il have much trouble with the research.

My school finished on Friday and we only had to have completed the planning by then and we have to complete the research and have a 1st draft completed by September

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After doing an EPQ last year I think there's a lot of useful advice I can share

I assume most of you are applying to Oxbridge so make sure you write a decent chunk of your ps on your EPQ. It looks very impressive if you are researching your own topic rather than just saying I read freakonomics... Also keep in mind the ones interviewing you will also be doing there own research so you will come off much better than a wannabe investment banker

What you write is not really important. The marks come from planning, your project log etc. so you need to focus on writing something you can easily evaluate

Going back to you lot applying to Oxbridge try to make it so a very obvious questions can be asked from it eg: why was this the best method... I also included the coase theorm and we discussed this for 5-10 minutes. All obvious questions after reading what I wrote

In my fifth interview (yes fifth!) I was only asked one question on it but it took up a good 5 minutes of discussion. Luckily this was in January as I wouldn't of been prepared in December. So my last bit of advice is try to do most of the work before your interview! It allows you to focus the next few months on exams and the chances are you'll come across a lot of economic theory!

Any questions please ask!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amg_22)

I assume most of you are applying to Oxbridge so make sure you write a decent chunk of your ps on your EPQ. It looks very impressive if you are researching your own topic rather than just saying I read freakonomics... Also keep in mind the ones interviewing you will also be doing there own research so you will come off much better than a wannabe investment banker

What you write is not really important. The marks come from planning, your project log etc. so you need to focus on writing something you can easily evaluate

Going back to you lot applying to Oxbridge try to make it so a very obvious questions can be asked from it eg: why was this the best method... I also included the coase theorm and we discussed this for 5-10 minutes. All obvious questions after reading what I wrote

In my fifth interview (yes fifth!) I was only asked one question on it but it took up a good 5 minutes of discussion. Luckily this was in January as I wouldn't of been prepared in December. So my last bit of advice is try to do most of the work before your interview! It allows you to focus the next few months on exams and the chances are you'll come across a lot of economic theory!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, I initially wanted to do an EPQ but being merely human, I'm currently lacking the motivation to actually do it anymore as I think the logging and evaluation will prove too laborious. Would you say that entering an essay competition will be a suitable alternative?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)
    Hi, I initially wanted to do an EPQ but being merely human, I'm currently lacking the motivation to actually do it anymore as I think the logging and evaluation will prove too laborious. Would you say that entering an essay competition will be a suitable alternative?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would say don't do it unless you are genuinely interested in the topic and want to do more research into it. It is a complete waste of time if you're doing it for the sake of it as many universities recognise that many people don't get offered the chance to do it, so it won't make you look any worse if you don't do one. I'm doing one, but only because I feel genuinely interested about the topic area that I'm doing.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey Im planning on doing an EPQ but our school wants us to start in september. Im really unsure on what topic to do it on. Any tips or advice on how to choose it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Out of interest, what was your EPQ on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its entirely up to you. Keep in mind an EPQ is a recognised qualification and that admission tutors are guaranteed to know what it is, which may not be the case for the essay competitions. Then again it is a lot of work so if you are not up for it best go for the essay competition. I'd say they'd look equally impressive on a ps but you are likely to get more credit for an EPQ as it is a separate qualification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiirankapoor)
    Hey Im planning on doing an EPQ but our school wants us to start in september. Im really unsure on what topic to do it on. Any tips or advice on how to choose it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My best advice would be to skim though a few academic papers and see if anything catches your interest, that's what I did :yep: By doing this you are focusing on a topic which is clearly relevant and original - but obviously in less detail

(Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Out of interest, what was your EPQ on?
    I did mine on methods of privatisation and their impact on economic growth.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, five interviews! I've heard of this but at the Open Days and such they say you only have one or two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    The thing that will make your essay stand out is the content. Make sure what you are saying is well researched and well thought out. Know what you are going to say and make sure it is relevant to the question - keep referring back to the question throughout the essay. The essay should be structured in such a way that allows you to clearly and precisely convey your points without any waffle or unnecessary long words. Good luck!
    Thanks very much. I really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much. I really appreciate it.
    No problem mate, good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.