Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    Oooh I did this question and at first I got that too, but then I literally drew out all the bonds on the diagram, okay, let me do that for you now and take a picture okay?

thanks mate. i just really wanted to know where i was going wrong cos these questions actually carry on and you lose marks when using the formula later.

so i want to be able to apply itlike that in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NielsBohrsDad)
    thanks mate. i just really wanted to know where i was going wrong cos these questions actually carry on and you lose marks when using the formula later.

so i want to be able to apply itlike that in the exam.
    Yeah no, of course I understand

I've attached how I do it btw!

Good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NielsBohrsDad)
    Guys there is a question in the may 2012 paper which i dont understand where ive gone wrong in

question 1b in the june 2012 paper. i dont see how its c15h22o??

i keep counting 20 or 21. can somebody please explain properly to me?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...586&p=42591735

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whostolemycookie)
    How does everyone feel about the exam?
    I'm actually quite prepared, other than the advanced notice and just some revision here and there. I'm going to spend the day going through the advanced notice, gonna summarise each paragraph and come up with questions they can ask there. And after that I'm gonna go through the specification once more.

How are you feeling about it?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please answer my question

How do I know whether I should put state symbols in a reaction?

Do I just assume they are not needed unless asked for?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    Can someone please answer my question

How do I know whether I should put state symbols in a reaction?

Do I just assume they are not needed unless asked for?

Thanks
    they ask for it, but for ionic equations I would always put them on regardless.

ReputationRep:
    they ask for it, but for ionic equations I would always put them on regardless.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    x
    Not to well tbh, I'm really tired and so I'm gonna revise for a bit and wake up at 2am and do more work
    Also how did you do the question before, how do you know where the hydrogen bonds are?

ReputationRep:
    For the first 4 questions I think out of the 80 marks for them I'll do okay and drop like 5 marks so long as no stupid mistakes occur, paper is not weird like our unit 1 physics one and mark scheme does not change. But then the advance notice Q5 questions will be annoying and a bomb and I'll probably loose at max 10 marks

You?

ReputationRep:
    This advance notice idea for an exam totally sucks IMO! It allows OCR to be have a 'unique' spec, but it totally rubbish and so hard for us!

ReputationRep:
    For the first 4 questions I think out of the 80 marks for them I'll do okay and drop like 5 marks so long as no stupid mistakes occur, paper is not weird like our unit 1 physics one and mark scheme does not change. But then the advance notice Q5 questions will be annoying and a bomb and I'll probably loose at max 10 marks

You?
    Just do a summary of each paragraph and since you've done all the past paper questions on the advanced notice you will have sort of an idea of what kinda stuff they ask, right? so just like come up with your own questions, oh and definitely look at storylines.

I'm feeling okay too, other than the advanced notice haha.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a complete list of the compound ions and their charges they expect you to remember?

ReputationRep:
    Not to well tbh, I'm really tired and so I'm gonna revise for a bit and wake up at 2am and do more work
    Also how did you do the question before, how do you know where the hydrogen bonds are?
    That's a good plan haha.

I just know that there are 4 bonds coming off one carbon atom, so I just draw them all in until I get 4 bonds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick d terrier)
    anyone have a complete list of the compound ions and their charges they expect you to remember?
    no3(-)
    so4(2-)
    co3(2-)
    oh-
    nh4(+)
    hco3(-)

Edit: Dunno why they changed to small letters

ReputationRep:
    That's a good plan haha.

I just know that there are 4 bonds coming off one carbon atom, so I just draw them all in until I get 4 bonds.
    Thanks

So the fact carbon can hold 4 bonds, and if it's a double bond that means there is only 2 bonds available to join. Is that correct?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to put the white sharp calculator into scientific mode? Like so it's all in standard form?

ReputationRep:
    That's a good plan haha.

Say if they say ozone problems in troposphere?
    Ow we say respiratory diseases or respiratory problems or breathing difficulties or what? They are really annoying with their mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick d terrier)
    Anyone have a complete list of the compound ions and their charges they expect you to remember?
    These ones. they're on page 12 of the official revision guide.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

So the fact carbon can hold 4 bonds, and if it's a double bond that means there is only 2 bonds available to join. Is that correct?
    Yep!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.