Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do People Have a Problem with Gay People? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabz123)
    GOD, created us in pairs, male and female. Thats why.
    No he/she/it didn't. Go read some children's science books.
    I'm not surprised we have another religious hill-billy. It's usually those that have an obsession with what other people do with their genitals in the privacy of their bedroom.

being gay is not natural.
    It is, but so what if it isn't? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

Turn the clock back a few years, it was classed as a mental disorder, and people who were gay were treated,
    Similar attitudes were expressed towards black people not too long ago.

but now, if you got something against people being gay, your the one who needs to be treated. Goes to show what lobbying can do dont it.
    Goes to show what progress and treating people equally can do, you muppet.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    why is it not wrong
    I don't see why it's wrong for a same-sex couple to be in a relationship, and raise children and what not, when it's not wrong for a heterosexual couple to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    evolution, bro, seriously, its lobbying.. im sure bestatilty would soon be legalized in the uk, we just need a few people who have an urge to do with it a horse, and then after a few years of lobbing of how its our freedom to love whom wwe want to, and have sex with what and whom we want to, were gonna have the same arguments that we are having to defend it the "ok" of bein gay.
    How did we go with having sex with people to having sex with animals?
    That's like comparing marrying someone in reality to marrying an anime character...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wardah2)
    I don't accept it because of religious beliefs and the pure fact that I don't think its 'natural'.
    I mean natural in the sense of how I see God had created us..
    So your saying you use nothing today because it was made by humans? If god existed and he did create this earth, he certainly wouldn't of created anything that we, us humans, created.

Your car is more unnatural than gay sex.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus had two 'dads' and he turned out just fine, so those taking the religious stance against the gay community can shut their pie holes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    How did we go with having sex with people to having sex with animals?
    That's like comparing marrying someone in reality to marrying an anime character...

ok, lets leave that.

what if, a group emerges and argues that theres nothing wrong with bein a pedophile. I mean, we may consider it morally wrong, just as we did with being gay, but we might "evolve" in our thoughts and argue that, theres nothing wrong with pedophilia, its a desire just as is homosexuality, and with lobbying, just as the gay rights lobbied, it may soon be legal and not be seen as something wrong.

so my main point is, where do you draw the line

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who doesn't accept me (she's Christian) and yet we're still friends, and we get on great. It's kind of surreal. But there are parts of some of my friends I don't like, same as everyone. I just focus on the many good parts, and she does the same for me. Only difference is, my 'bad' part isn't a personality flaw, it's just a sexuality I can't help.

To be honest, I would far rather be straight. Not because of homophobic people, but because of the few gay/bi people who are so hyped up on political correctness that whenever someone finds out I'm bi, they kind of stiffen up, as if they're worried they'll offend me. Its annoying for both hetero and LGBT people. We need to lighten up! It's just a part of people, like hair colour. But hair colour doesn't start so many threads. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I don't see why it's wrong for a same-sex couple to be in a relationship, and raise children and what not, when it's not wrong for a heterosexual couple to

Posted from TSR Mobile

its about morailty, if you use that argument, then there should be nothing wrong with pedophailes.

where do you draw the line. And with the mindset of "Were free to do what we want" you cant draw the line

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    There's your answer. With even the followers of religion noticing the flaws, it's not hard for the rest of us to do the same. I don't understand your issue with AlexandrTheGreat's post if you acknowledge that his points are valid :confused:.

And sadly it's not just the religious followers that are the problem. The core doctrines behind many monotheistic religions look down upon homosexuality in one way or another - Islam thinks it's OK to be attracted to the same sex as long as you don't have sexual intercourse and I assume the same applies to Christianity.
    My issue with his post didn't lie in the fact he clearly has a rather large issue with religion. It lay in the fact he was discriminating against someone because of their religion in answer to them discriminating against others due to their sexuality. I was confused as to why he felt it was acceptable to be discriminate against one minority in order to support another.

I probably did answer my own question, and to be honest, it was a little rhetorical, because I know why homosexuality and religion don't exactly work together. I may be religious, but I completely accept that religion in general is causing huge problems . So yes, his points in general were valid up to a point, I just felt he put it across incredibly aggressively and was out of order putting down what someone believes in like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ok, lets leave that.

what if, a group emerges and argues that theres nothing wrong with bein a pedophile. I mean, we may consider it morally wrong, just as we did with being gay, but we might "evolve" in our thoughts and argue that, theres nothing wrong with pedophilia, its a desire just as is homosexuality, and with lobbying, just as the gay rights lobbied, it may soon be legal and not be seen as something wrong.

so my main point is, where do you draw the line
    Is this for real?
    Consent. It's that simple.

ReputationRep:
    its about morailty, if you use that argument, then there should be nothing wrong with pedophailes.

where do you draw the line. And with the mindset of "Were free to do what we want" you cant draw the line
    pedophiles hurt the children involved. Gay people aren't harming anyone.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Acting on peodophilia would be classed as rape. Same sex couples generally consist of two consenting adults

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by incipientT)
    pedophiles hurt the children involved. Gay people aren't harming anyone.
    lol how do they hurt them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Acting on peodophilia would be classed as rape. Same sex couples generally consist of two consenting adults

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what if they both consent?

ReputationRep:
    lol how do they hurt them?
    Are you seriously telling me you don't see how raping children doesn't cause harm?

ReputationRep:

First of all, it's 'paedophile' and not 'pedophaile'. Secondly, are you that dumb and cannot see the difference between being gay and being paedophile? Darling, you have put too much of peroxide onto your head.

ReputationRep:

As long as this doesn't negatively affect other people. Having sexual intercourse with a minor is going to raise questions of negative implications.
    Can the child consent without being persuaded or pressured by the adult? Will that have a significant effect on the child's emotional and mental faculties? Are we putting a child at unnecessary risk by allowing them to have sex? Will they be physically hurt? Most importantly is the first point: are they in a position to be able to give consent and not be pressured or unknowingly lead into sex?

In almost all cases, the answers to these questions are obvious and demonstrable and therefore paedophilia is outlawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by incipientT)
    Are you seriously telling me you don't see how raping children doesn't cause harm?
    how is it rape, if a an 8 year old kid agrees to having sex with a 25 year old women and vice and versa?

whats wrong with that, according to the argument that you use for gay people, which is that we should have the right to love whom we want to, have sex with whom we want to, as long as theres pure love.

hence if an 8 year old boy loves a grown women and vice versa, they should be allowed to have sex, and it shouldnt considered rape- of they love each other.

and shouldnt their love be equall to that of a hetrosexual couple and gay couples? its only fair right?

end sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    how is it rape, if a an 8 year old kid agrees to having sex with a 25 year old women and vice and versa?

whats wrong with that, according to the argument that you use for gay people, which is that we should have the right to love whom we want to, have sex with whom we want to, as long as theres pure love.

hence if an 8 year old boy loves a grown women and vice versa, they should be allowed to have sex, and it shouldnt considered rape- of they love each other.

and shouldnt their love be equall to that of a hetrosexual couple and gay couples? its only fair right?

end sarcasm
    There are good reasons for having an age of consent, which has already been explained to you by other posters just above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenRef)
    In fear of going into a full-blown religious argument, I'm just going to say this. For a God who "regards all people the same" and "loves us all equally", (for I believe this is what Christians think), I don't know how you can say, "Well, actually, homosexuals are wrong".

Contradiction? And seriously... It's one of many.
    Im not religious, but if he regards all people the same, to me that would mean that he 'created' us all the same (so no gays etc.) but i dont agree with religion and neither believe this is true.

I was bought up with parents that 'downgraded' gays and implied it was wrong, since my cousin came out this all stopped. Personally I have nothing wrong with gay people, as long as the dont shout about it and be in your face about it (by this i mean being overly gay and energetic, makeup on etc.) I find that weird creepy and just over the top, like theres no need for it.

by all means be gay, but please just dont be all airy fairy and shove it in peoples faces. I think this is what most people would use when arguing that being gay is wrong and unnatural saying men should be masculine and not acting like women

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.