Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    What game was that ? Against Norwich last weekend he came on and turned the game on its head along with the ox, he hit the bar and then scored playing through the middle
    No, it was before that

(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Ox should definitely start over Walcott, he'd cause Evra some serious problems. Rosicky also needs to start, to inject pace and directness into the game. Podolski should be given the nod up front, I can see Rio and Vidic easily dealing with Gervinho. Podolski may drift in and out of games but when he's given a chance you can count on him to put it away, can we say the same thing about Gervinho?
    the thing about gervinho is that he makes those chances to mess up whereas podolski wont make the chances

I wouldn't mind putting podolski up front and play on the counter attack. Our defence seems better so we may be able to do this:

Szczesny
    Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Monreal
    Arteta Ramsey
    Oxlade-Chamberlain Rosicky Cazorla
    Podolski

or walcott instead of rosicky or cazorla

This would make us a threat on the counter attack, which we could do well as man u will be attacking a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)

This would make us a threat on the counter attack, which we could do well as man u will be attacking a lot
    Utd will play deep or look to make the most of set pieces and attack on the counter not arsenal, they will try and dominate possession in UTD's half thus making fast players useless. Don't forget this is a must win for Arsenal so they will be attacking most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Utd will play deep or look to make the most of set pieces and attack on the counter not arsenal, they will try and dominate possession in UTD's half thus making fast players useless. Don't forget this is a must win for Arsenal so they will be attacking most.
    Exactly. They expect something - we do the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think RVP will start against us. I imagine they'd still be hungover from their title celebrations, well not literally but they won't be as motivated. Will SAF really play him just so he can get booed for 90mins

Assuming they win against Villa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahomyemane778)
    oh **** he's back
    i dont think we going to make fourth- we shouldnt have drawn 0-0 against everton- weve paid the price now
    Sp*rs still have to play chelski so its still all to play for. I pray spuds don't make it, tbh I wanted Everton to but heh! As along as we make its happy days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    We won and at this moment that's all that matters. Who csres we struggled to beat Fulham? Be grateful we got the full points and move on. Four more wins like today and I'm happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you even seen The I.T. Crowd?

I am an Arsenal supporter btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    I am an Arsenal supporter btw.
    From beyond the grave...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birdman1234567)
    Do you guys think RVP will start against us. I imagine they'd still be hungover from their title celebrations, well not literally but they won't be as motivated. Will SAF really play him just so he can get booed for 90mins

I think Fergie will play his strongest team (including RVP) just to take the piss and try and dent our CL hopes. The rivalry between Fergie and Wenger still exists, not to the extent of 10 years ago, but he'd still like to get one over his old rival. But yeah if RVP does start, he'd have a similar game to the one Nasri had when he returned, ie booed whenever he'd on the ball so unable to do anything of note.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Birdman1234567)

He'll be starting unless he picks up some kind of injury before the game.

Also, why boo a player for having ambition? He's won the league in his first season since moving, having seen several of his former team mates do the same, what have Arsenal done this season? It's not like he left on bad terms or for the money like Nasri/Cole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Also, why boo a player for having ambition? He's won the league in his first season since moving, having seen several of his former team mates do the same, what have Arsenal done this season? It's not like he left on bad terms or for the money like Nasri/Cole.
    His public "come and get me" statement springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Lol. No different from nasri and cole. It was for money and ambition. Only difference is that nasri was willing to sit on the bench while cole and RVP aren't. RVP won the league with nasri doing the same and cole won a cup double in his first season at chelsea too.

ReputationRep:
    "It's not like he left on bad terms...."

True that, it was all rosey and joie de vivre. We were pissed off we couldn't annex our gratitude and appreciation to him with an extended round of applause at the emirates before he left......

Seriously, do some people not live in the real world?

ReputationRep:
    Your yoof v our yoof at the Underhill tonight at 7pm, be there or be square.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jam277)
    Lol. No different from nasri and cole. It was for money and ambition. Only difference is that nasri was willing to sit on the bench while cole and RVP aren't. RVP won the league with nasri doing the same and cole won a cup double in his first season at chelsea too.
    Most people seem to forget he turned down a much bigger offer from £ity to come to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Most people seem to forget he turned down a much bigger offer from £ity to come to us.
    Why did Mancini spend months sulking that City wouldn't let him buy RVP then ?

Well, that was a very tedious game. Good three points but I can't be happy with that. It substantiates the view that what started in the Norwich game was a slide, not a blip. :sadnod: Honestly, I don't have much more to add from what I noted at half-time: the team didn't have much of a gameplan, had little idea of how to deal with Fulham's constant pressure (I always suspect we don't see enough training-ground routines being executed on the pitch) and didn't apply enough pressure ourselves. On a slightly more positive note, we're seeing the benefit of a Mertesacker-Koscielny partnership being more disciplined than our previous CB duos, with minimalized damage even when our midfield fails to close down the other team properly.

(Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    Excellent post, PRSOM. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him here, it's just that his injury record does instil some fear in me. I'd like to see him play perhaps out wide where he can stretch defences, (wide right, he's featured once this season for Fiorentina), and cut in and shoot, or involve some more natural finishers. He's got an excellent long shot on him and is equally good with both feet, so kind of similar to Cazorla in that respect, but a natural goalscorer he isn't although I don't think anyone expects that of him. He'll bring so much more to the team than just goals, as you've pointed out.
    There's a plethora of options though for Wenger to try out with him, whether it be wide, attacking mid or just off a more natural finisher.

What do you think about playing him in a 4-4-2 up front with Giroud?
    Sorry, I always meant to reply to this but it's been a very stressful time for me.

Well, because of the way a lot of teams tend to set up and play against us, I'd be a little wary of the idea of playing him wide too often. With our current setup, I'm most happy to see Podolski and Chamberlain playing on the wings - strong, direct wingers (or even more Gervinho when he's on form, but I still don't trust him yet). Putting someone creative like Jovetic, who seems to rely more on technique and agility than quick feet and strength, out on the wing would, I fear, risk a replication of the Arshavin situation.

Regarding him and Giroud, while I'm not sure about reviving the 4-4-2 as a starting tactic (our midfield cover is flimsy as it is, and we don't have the personnel to make a two-man dynamic work imo), I'm pretty sure we'll see this happen when we need goals towards the end of games. This is how I'd want it set up when it does happen:

Giroud
    Jovetic
    Gervinho Wilshere/Arteta Ramsey Chamberlain

I think the general dynamic of the fluidity here would be Jovetic drifting towards the left (lots of overlapping possibility there with both a wide midfielder and Gibbs/Monreal!), Wilshere moving forward, Chamberlain cutting into the centre and facilitating overlaps for Sagna/Jenkinson and Ramsey providing cover on the right. This should be a plan B/C, though; it clearly leaves the middle of the pitch vulnerable.

Also, regarding Ramsey's future role (discussed a couple of pages back I think) - I agree that there's suddenly potential for him to occupy a functional defensive role. I think he was our most important player against Fulham - he surprised me by taking on that destroyer role, even though he didn't quite excel at it. So, as of yet, I'd still prefer we brought in a DM - and I'm off the opinion that our structure would be best served by someone mobile rather than permanently deep-lying - but I would genuinely love to see Ramsey do well here and the performance against Fulham suggests to me that it might not be a disaster if we persisted with him in the middle.

Chamberlain
    Wilshere Ramsey

Ruining British football. :top:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Why did Mancini spend months sulking that City wouldn't let him buy RVP then ?
    Probably to do with FFP, but the offer was on the table. Even Wenger has confirmed that he turned it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Probably to do with FFP, but the offer was on the table. Even Wenger has confirmed that he turned it down.
    No, he said City were interesed not the RVP chose United over City. From Mancini's rhetorics and from how the negotiations went down, City didn't really bid for him.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 419)
    No, he said City were interesed not the RVP chose United over City. From Mancini's rhetorics and from how the negotiations went down, City didn't really bid for him.
    Never said they did make a bid. They made the player an offer which he turned down, so any indication he moved ''for the money'' as many Arsenal fans would imply he did, is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Never said they did make a bid. They made the player an offer which he turned down, so any indication he moved ''for the money'' as many Arsenal fans would imply he did, is absurd.
    Ermm......... *scraching head*

Wait, so, they never made a bid to Arsenal for him but made him a contract offer whilst he was still under contract to Arsenal with no agreement between the two clubs (in essentially the much-maligned tapping him up behaviour) whilst Wenger joivally confirmed this in the public medium.

You're not making any sense at all. :facepalm2:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.