Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmissi)
    My notes on Party List:

Used in European Parliament elections. Usually covers the whole country. Voters vote for a party, and a candidate needs to be high enough on the party's list to be elected.

Strengths: Most proportional of all PR systems, if a party receives 30% of the vote then it receives 30% of the seats in Parliament.
    Very easy for the voters to understand and use.
    Voters have to choose from only a small number of parties.

Weaknesses: Voters have little or no choice over the selection of candidates. This gives huge power to the parties who place the candidates on the list.
    There is no connection between MEPs and an area.
    Can create coalitions.
    Candidates are not truly popular unless they stand as parties of one.
    Many thanks!

I found a very useful report on US voting patterns that I thought I would post for the benefit of my fellow Modders
    http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/p20-562.pdf

ReputationRep:
    My notes on Party List:

Used in European Parliament elections. Usually covers the whole country. Voters vote for a party, and a candidate needs to be high enough on the party's list to be elected.

Strengths: Most proportional of all PR systems, if a party receives 30% of the vote then it receives 30% of the seats in Parliament.
    Very easy for the voters to understand and use.
    Voters have to choose from only a small number of parties.

Weaknesses: Voters have little or no choice over the selection of candidates. This gives huge power to the parties who place the candidates on the list.
    There is no connection between MEPs and an area.
    Can create coalitions.
    Candidates are not truly popular unless they stand as parties of one.
    have you could any examples of coalitions by PL for european parliament thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala4)
    PR- meaning Party list, STV and AMS.
    It have to be both STV and AMS ??

ReputationRep:
    I can't bear to revise in this lovely weather.
    I have a Q concerning the work of UNOs in Africa. How are we supposed to link case studies with the millennium development goals?
    Also, how many NGO case studies are people revising? I already have Christain Aid and Oxfam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarwalk49)
    It have to be both STV and AMS ??
    Do you mean in the same essay?- No. Usually a question will just ask about one of the PR systems vs FPTP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala4)
    Do you mean in the same essay?- No. Usually a question will just ask about one of the PR systems vs FPTP.
    Awww ok that's fine then Thankyou !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    I can't bear to revise in this lovely weather.
    I have a Q concerning the work of UNOs in Africa. How are we supposed to link case studies with the millennium development goals?
    Also, how many NGO case studies are people revising? I already have Christain Aid and Oxfam.
    I've just put things like 'The WHO acted on the MDG to reverse the spread of diseases by helping to eradicate polio with a mass vaccination programme in Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia, where 3m children under 5 were vaccinated.'

For the NGOs I'm talking about Save the Children as well, about how it works in countries like Mozambique to improve access to schools for all children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaLee123)
    have you could any examples of coalitions by PL for european parliament thanks
    I've been searching for some examples of coalitions in the EP but I can't seem to find any :confused:

The only examples I have are to do with its proportionality, e.g in the 2004 election out of 7 MEPs for Scotland the three parties with the most votes (Labour, Con, SNP) got 2 seats each

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to really worry about this exam. I managed to get a high B in the prelim with night-before revision, but I NEED an A this time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to really worry about this exam. I managed to get a high B in the prelim with night-before revision, but I NEED an A this time.
    I only got a low C in the prelim.. and need a B minimum to be allowed onto do advanced higher and take part in the social science bacc. We already knew the questions in the prelim too and that is what is worrying about the final exam..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala4)
    I only got a low C in the prelim.. and need a B minimum to be allowed onto do advanced higher and take part in the social science bacc. We already knew the questions in the prelim too and that is what is worrying about the final exam..
    Yeah, exactly. I basically knew what Qs would be asked for the prelim, so naturally didn't bother revising the other topics. However, I was only a couple of marks off an A for Paper 1 in the prelim and that was with a half-finished essay which I failed, and I hope that I can get at least 25/30 for Paper 2.
    I'm sure you'll do well. It's this subject and English which I'm freaking out about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarwalk49)
    Awww ok that's fine then Thankyou !!
    Just to point out it could be PR in general vs FPTP (this was one of our NAB questions) and so there you would have to talk about FPTP, AMS and STV.

ReputationRep:
    When writing about AMS vs FPTP, do you write an advantage of the AMS and then balance that by putting in a disadvantage of FPTP straight after which counteracts the AMS advantage?

e.g- AMS gives a fairly proportionate result in terms of seats and votes as in the 2007 election SNP recieved 32.9% of the votes with 21 MSPs. Whereas FPTP can often result in majority governments being formed on the basis of minority support. For example in 2005 they had a 66 majority with a gain of only 35% of the votes.

Would that count as a balanced argument/point?

ReputationRep:
    When talking about social and economic inequalities in South Africa, do you have to give policies??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, exactly. I basically knew what Qs would be asked for the prelim, so naturally didn't bother revising the other topics. However, I was only a couple of marks off an A for Paper 1 in the prelim and that was with a half-finished essay which I failed, and I hope that I can get at least 25/30 for Paper 2.
    I'm sure you'll do well. It's this subject and English which I'm freaking out about.
    I know, im starting to really freak out now! Im not too sure about that but hopefully aha thank you! I am definite you will come away with an A for sure

ReputationRep:
    I've been searching for some examples of coalitions in the EP but I can't seem to find any :confused:

The only examples I have are to do with its proportionality, e.g in the 2004 election out of 7 MEPs for Scotland the three parties with the most votes (Labour, Con, SNP) got 2 seats each
    i know what you mean. lmao. I tried to find examples in my books but one of them just stated they make coalitions with no examples and i searched online but got stuck. I thought itd be on wiki page but it was long ass and i got confused.
    Thanks for the help btw. !
    maybe if worst comes worst well just have to say they make coalitions and say whats wrong with them and no examples

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UMARTIAN)
    American Dream is more about the success and failures of immigrants. Such as their economic, educational, political, health and housing success and failure. Where they have achieved the dream and where they haven't.

Immigration debate is less on the immigrants themselves but more on their impact on the US such as their impact on the economy, industries, crime, spending etc. also government responses to Immigration - US patriot act, border control agents, arizona law.
    Wow, that worries me a little. We did not cover the effect of immigration on the country itself at all.

How likely is it that this will come up? Does anyone have any essay plan or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fjords)
    Wow, that worries me a little. We did not cover the effect of immigration on the country itself at all.

How likely is it that this will come up? Does anyone have any essay plan or anything?
    see the marking guide for that paper. very very helpful gives you negatives and positives of immigration. Then you would bring in what the federal government has done in response to immigration like the USA Patriot Act.
    The likelihood of the Q coming up i would say is slim but who knows.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Best way to get an A is to make sure you don't make silly mistakes on the 10 marks of paper 2 (they're basically free marks), and write a good DME report. Don't panic and stress over it too much otherwise you'll just ramble a bit more than normal, so keep it concise.

So say you did get 25/30 for your DME, you'd only need 9's and 10's in your essays to get an A. And with all the revision you've done it looks like you've already got this in the bag!

What date is the exam? Looking forward to seeing what questions come up and what the DME is on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    Best way to get an A is to make sure you don't make silly mistakes on the 10 marks of paper 2 (they're basically free marks), and write a good DME report. Don't panic and stress over it too much otherwise you'll just ramble a bit more than normal, so keep it concise.

So say you did get 25/30 for your DME, you'd only need 9's and 10's in your essays to get an A. And with all the revision you've done it looks like you've already got this in the bag!

What date is the exam? Looking forward to seeing what questions come up and what the DME is on!
    It's this Thursday! :eek:
    I feel that I sometimes over-think the DME, but I just need to keep it sweet and simple.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.