Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA Sociology SCLY1 Family & Households 13th May 2013. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God I was SO happy with this paper. Managed to include so many sociologists within practically all my answers. I feel as if I wasted 8 mins at the start by not even opening the paper and writing ALL the sociologists I remembered straight off the bat on the front, which did
    effectively pay off as I didn't have to think if I had a writing block.

To the guy that said he mentioned NHS in the second question, it specifically said nothing to do with healthcare, so its good that you wrote 3 instead of just two so you hopefully won't lose the marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smir95)
    Yh for the last question I did the same but referred to the item exactly 3 times. For the first question I wrote similar to you apart from NHS because I'm sure that or improvement of healthcare was included in the item. For the third one I did the same but had one that it is cheap...should have mentioned stigmatisation. Yeah if you wrote it in bullet form it's okay because the examiner will mark you on making the point but if you haven't elaborated the point then they won't...hope that helps
    Oh I did elaborate, hopefully got 12/12 on the low mark questions then to make up for my bad essays! Why did you write for the first essay question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    No-one mentioned Edgell or Hardill or gender scripts on the first essay?
    I did!! I mentioned Edgell and related to decision making

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electro14)
    Dont you talk about how oakley talked about how womans role was socially constructed
    i think i said that by my essay didnt flow

i think i said that oakleys sees womans role as socially constructed, not biological as the new right and functionalists claim...

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried I've done terrible.
    Sure, the 2 4 and 6 markers were ok, but the essays were definitely not what I wanted.
    The first one was my least favourite, i spoke about the roles, women being 'naturally suited', reasons the family is becoming more symmetrical, how sexuality affects it and then a bit about domestic violence. Feel like i've missed out a massive chunk and just annoyed at myself after looking back at my work..... did about a side and a half.
    The 2nd essay went a bit better, I did about 2 and half sides and did about 1/2 of the functionalism viewpoint (was the one i was least confident on) and made reference to the item 3 times, so that was okay. Then i went into alot of detail about marxist and feminist, is that correct? I wrote about their views on the functions of the family. Please say its correct.
    Also did my conclusions, but think the one for the first essay wasnt correct and I shouldve linked to the question more in both. Hoping for a C..... what % of the mark is that if anybody knows?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    What happens if you didn't finish your conclusion (last sentence of the conclusion)? Will I be marked down?

ReputationRep:
    Oh man...functionalism was great, but this one damn :/

The short answer questions were okay too but still :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Think i messed up in this paper😫😭😪

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Ouch what a mess up for me!

I cant believe i screwed up. This was such a decent question and i messed up

Problem with my answer was it was all points and no evaluation
    I mentioned parsons and young and wilmott....
    but brought in oakley and domestic violence which doesnt answer the question.....
    I fee like crying
    Samee!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the first essay question was on factors affecting the roles and DOL...
    so it makes sense to talk about parsons biological differences in instrumental & expressive roles,
    oakley patriarchy is why the roles are like that,
    earning explains decision making (EDGELL) & violence,
    gender scripts influence expectations of what roles they should do
    stigmas declined of house husbands change roles
    feminism & womens opportunities and changed position affects roles & DOL
    wish id talked about class & ethnic differences though DAMNIT

that sound right?

alsoo, how hard was the 4 mark question! surely all reasons relate to health eg. housing, sanitation etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Ouch what a mess up for me!

I cant believe i screwed up. This was such a decent question and i messed up

Problem with my answer was it was all points and no evaluation
    I mentioned parsons and young and wilmott....
    but brought in oakley and domestic violence which doesnt answer the question.....
    I fee like crying
    Samee!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    NO MORE SOCIOLOGY Mixed reviews on this paper predicetd couples to come up but the functionalist one I only had 10-12 minutes to spare so had to rush it but nevertheless hopefully I get my 46/80 UMS min this paper to get my A overall in AS sociology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi12345)
    Oh I did elaborate, hopefully got 12/12 on the low mark questions then to make up for my bad essays! Why did you write for the first essay question?
    Yh I think getting 12/14 on the essays is good. For the first essay question I wrote about: conjugal roles,double/triple shift,how womens aspirations have changed,the 'new man', included the functionalist view on the 'biologically pre-determined' roles(balanced it with the critics=feminist),Young and Willmott(symmetrical family),Oakley,matrifocal families and I think thats it. I struggle mostly on the structure of the essay...are you ready for the unit 2 exam??

ReputationRep:
    THE PAPERS WAS EASY !!! hoing I get the grade I deserve ....

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    the exam was 'ok' could have done much better, and would of save time if iknew how pathetic these questions will be, would of not done such in-depth revision!
    anyway, i was wondering if you loose mark for writing the wrong date next to a study.. I think i wrote Dunne 1997 instead of 1999;(
    It went well apart from few spelling errors and having 10minutes to finish the last essay.
    In jan i got 38/60 and got marked a D, how does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurag4131)
    I did!! I mentioned Edgell and related to decision making
    For desicion making i wrote about Pahl and Volger and i motioned about dunnes gender script! So happy bout this paper... but got a feeling grade boundries r gonna be quite high

The exam was sosososososo easy! I'm so happy

(Original post by Work1)
    Hi guys,
    the exam was 'ok' could have done much better, and would of save time if iknew how pathetic these questions will be, would of not done such in-depth revision!
    anyway, i was wondering if you loose mark for writing the wrong date next to a study.. I think i wrote Dunne 1997 instead of 1999;(
    It went well apart from few spelling errors and having 10minutes to finish the last essay.
    In jan i got 38/60 and got marked a D, how does that make sense?
    You don't even need to write the date so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    I just loved including oacklys idea of women being takers of **** ...... easy one to remember

ReputationRep:
    The questions in the paper were nice :yep:
    Not sure how it went though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 13, 2014
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.