Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I think you should still apply for what you're most passionate about, and if that's early years that's even more important as the way of doing things is so different.

See what your head says and go from there. A few days might be enough. Before I did my PGCE I had my year 10 work experience (in a nursery) which was ages ago, then I had just a few days in early years, about a week/week and a half in KS1 and a few days in KS2. What is much more important is what you take from it that you can use to help you become a good teacher... what you learn about how children learn.

You could try also watching videos and documentaries, reading books etc to get a good idea. And I really would recommend the Nursery idea if you can, even perhaps pop in to one after you finish work as some don't send home till 6pm and just look at the environment for the 3-4y/os, ask them what they do, and see how they interact with the kids and how they record learning etc. It may seem like only tiny bits of experience but if you use it really well it can be invaluable. Plus it will assure your training provider that you take it seriously and have seen what early years really looks like.

Also, forgot to say before, definitely speak to the uni you want to go to about this. They are in the best position to tell you what you absolutely need and what they'll be looking for. They're usually very helpful, friendly and honest. And most of all remember this is one year, if you don't get on you could look for something which allows more freedom or is based in infant next year, and then try again

xxx

Ahhh thanks so much!! Will try a nursery I am thinking now that maybe I should leave it for this year, and apply next year when I have more experience and can say 100% if I would prefer infants or juniors! And why! I love year 3 and 4, but for some reason I've always thought I would teach younger children but I may not enjoy it nearly as much!
    Thank you very much for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I wouldn't imagine psychology teachers are in demand much at all. I know of very few schools who offer it. We had it at ours but only for the top two humanities sets, and the drama teacher taught it. There was only about 10 people in the class who opted to do it.
    Psychology was pretty popular in my school. It was taught at GCSE and A Level and loads took it. I remember the teacher who taught it also taught Health and Social Care, and then when she left a woman who taught it at a FE college taught it.

What does appeal to me about secondary though is that there are other opportunities such as tutor, head of year etc. I also find I can communicate well with teenagers from some volunteering that I did before.

But it would be risky to do a PGCE in Psychology and then hope there was another subject I could teach at a school. I would love to teach Health and Social Care, PSE type lessons as well.

I'm gutted because Edge Hill has stopped offering the PGCE Psychology course, and the other places that offer it are too far away for my liking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl92)
    Psychology was pretty popular in my school. It was taught at GCSE and A Level and loads took it. I remember the teacher who taught it also taught Health and Social Care, and then when she left a woman who taught it at a FE college taught it.

What does appeal to me about secondary though is that there are other opportunities such as tutor, head of year etc. I also find I can communicate well with teenagers from some volunteering that I did before.

But it would be risky to do a PGCE in Psychology and then hope there was another subject I could teach at a school. I would love to teach Health and Social Care, PSE type lessons as well.

I'm gutted because Edge Hill has stopped offering the PGCE Psychology course, and the other places that offer it are too far away for my liking.
    Ah yeah, I forgot about the schools that have sixth forms integrated (there aren't any around me so I sort of forget they exist ). A-Level was massively popular at the college I went to, so I know what you mean.

You could always do a post-16 PGCE. I know Edge Hill do one because I was also interested. They changed it too, so it does allow you to teach secondary if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Bit confused about the application process... From what I understand the applications are changing from the GTTR website to UCAS. It says on the UCAS website that applications begin 1st november? Is this right? Because on other university webpages it says apply early - in september or november?

Ah confusing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faithlaura)
    Bit confused about the application process... From what I understand the applications are changing from the GTTR website to UCAS. It says on the UCAS website that applications begin 1st november? Is this right? Because on other university webpages it says apply early - in september or november?

Ah confusing!
    They open in November, like UCAS states. When unis say apply early it means try to apply as soon as possible after it opens.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah, I forgot about the schools that have sixth forms integrated (there aren't any around me so I sort of forget they exist ). A-Level was massively popular at the college I went to, so I know what you mean.

You could always do a post-16 PGCE. I know Edge Hill do one because I was also interested. They changed it too, so it does allow you to teach secondary if you want.
    I will have a look, thanks.

Wouldn't be able to apply for it this year though because I won't have time to get 10 days in a secondary school before the applications open because of work! They have given me a thursday afternoon off once I start to do the primary, so I'm fitting in as much as I can before I start!

All the schools where I live have 6th forms. I can't think of one that doesn't. But the colleges aren't really that big on A Levels round here, it's mainly vocational courses and NVQs. My sister did A Levels in college and there was only 2 or 3 in some of her classes.

ReputationRep:

Wouldn't be able to apply for it this year though because I won't have time to get 10 days in a secondary school before the applications open because of work! They have given me a thursday afternoon off once I start to do the primary, so I'm fitting in as much as I can before I start!

All the schools where I live have 6th forms. I can't think of one that doesn't. But the colleges aren't really that big on A Levels round here, it's mainly vocational courses and NVQs. My sister did A Levels in college and there was only 2 or 3 in some of her classes.
    That's insane! I've never heard of A-Levels being so unpopular.

Anyway, that's a shame about your job getting in the way. I know someone who applied for the post 16 PGCE with no experience at all and got on. I have no idea how...

I'm on 7 days at the moment. Trying to get it to 14 hopefully, but I can't see it happening.

ReputationRep:

I only had experience lined up when I applied. I wrote in my PS about what I was hoping to get out of my placements and by the time I had my interview I was halfway through my work experience, so I had plenty to talk about and reflect on.

I'd say it's still worth applying. Worst case scenario is you try again next year, which is what you're currently planning on anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's insane! I've never heard of A-Levels being so unpopular.

Anyway, that's a shame about your job getting in the way. I know someone who applied for the post 16 PGCE with no experience at all and got on. I have no idea how...

I'm on 7 days at the moment. Trying to get it to 14 hopefully, but I can't see it happening.
    Yeah A Levels are much more popular in 6th forms. Most people would go to college for vocational courses. I also got the feeling the A Levels in the college weren't taught as well as at 6th forms, just the impression I've got from my sister.

I did one afternoon a week in a primary between February and June so it equals about 10 days altogether. Now I've had another 2, hopefully another 2 next week and then one afternoon a week for as long as I can carry on for. I am just getting more experience really in a Welsh school to improve my Welsh (cause I've barely used it the last 3 years) and to see how it's different from a big city school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)
    I only had experience lined up when I applied. I wrote in my PS about what I was hoping to get out of my placements and by the time I had my interview I was halfway through my work experience, so I had plenty to talk about and reflect on.

I'd say it's still worth applying. Worst case scenario is you try again next year, which is what you're currently planning on anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest I don't think I would apply for a Psychology PGCE because they are too far away and got family issues etc meaning I need to be at home or not too far away

Wolverhampton is the closest to me and that's 3 hours on the train if not more!

I absolutely love History - did it at A Level and I was thinking of maybe doing an Open Uni History degree. Just a thought really. And then do a PGCE in maybe 5 years time.

I'm not going to rush into it though I couldn't start until Feb 2014 anyway, and I'm going to see how the Primary School and job goes then decide which path I want to take.

I was so sure I wanted to do Primary from my experience before and now I'm getting doubts but I've only been there 2 days so I'll see how it goes, I'm still going to work on a PS in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if Uni's/colleges will accept Religious Studies as my National curriculum subject?
    My subjects are Business Studies, Sociology and Religious Studies

Has anyone had exeprience of getting onto a Primary course with similar A-Levels? I
    Thanks
    Barry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barry2011)
    Does anybody know if Uni's/colleges will accept Religious Studies as my National curriculum subject?
    My subjects are Business Studies, Sociology and Religious Studies

Has anyone had exeprience of getting onto a Primary course with similar A-Levels? I
    Thanks
    Barry
    Are you thinking of studying RS at University then?

As long as you had good experience and can demonstrate what you learnt then I don't see why not. I'm applying for Primary PGCE this year and my degree subject is Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseyElla)
    Are you thinking of studying RS at University then?

As long as you had good experience and can demonstrate what you learnt then I don't see why not. I'm applying for Primary PGCE this year and my degree subject is Psychology.
    I meant Primary Education. (Primary school teacher)

Regards
    Barry

ReputationRep:
    I meant Primary Education. (Primary school teacher)

Regards
    Barry
    Are you wanting to do an undergrad degree in Primary Education instead of a PGCE then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseyElla)
    Are you wanting to do an undergrad degree in Primary Education instead of a PGCE then?
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    This thread is for PGCE applications so you'll be better checking out the Undergrad Education forums

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=639

ReputationRep:
    In terms of our references - I've been aware for a while that we now need two, one being academic, the other personal. I will get the academic one from uni, obviously, but don't know about the personal one. I've been on the UCAS website, and it just says it should be someone from work OR someone who can comment on how you would be suited to teaching. So who could you ask if you didn't have a job? I would assume you couldn't ask friends or family, so I don't know?

I do have a job, but I really don't want to ask my boss. She's really unreliable with things, and she will most likely shout at me for asking her to do it, because that's what she's like. She's also not very good with computers which makes me worry she wouldn't be able to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A few questions I hope someone can answer, ro at least make an educated guess at: D
    Does anyone have any idea of roughly when interviews will be held for those of us applying right away in november?

ANd how much notice do you get if you are invited to interview? Days? Weeks?

And historically speaking, does every uni have them at about the same time?

I'm living overseas, so it'd be nice to have a bit of advance warning so I can plan my time off work and flights. And ideally, if I'm asked to interview at more than one place, it'd be good to be able to go to them during one trip, rather than two (or more...) seperate ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SharpyShuffle)
    A few questions I hope someone can answer, ro at least make an educated guess at: D
    Does anyone have any idea of roughly when interviews will be held for those of us applying right away in november?

ANd how much notice do you get if you are invited to interview? Days? Weeks?

And historically speaking, does every uni have them at about the same time?

I'm living overseas, so it'd be nice to have a bit of advance warning so I can plan my time off work and flights. And ideally, if I'm asked to interview at more than one place, it'd be good to be able to go to them during one trip, rather than two (or more...) seperate ones.
    Probably not what you want to hear but it will really depend on the uni. Some will give you 4 days notice, some will give you three weeks. I applied right at the start last year and my first interview was in December (applications opened late oct) but there were others who had them two weeks after applying. No one can really predict it I'm afraid. I would say interviews are roughly between November and early feb. But that's clearly such a wide window it won't be of any help to you .

ReputationRep:
    In terms of our references - I've been aware for a while that we now need two, one being academic, the other personal. I will get the academic one from uni, obviously, but don't know about the personal one. I've been on the UCAS website, and it just says it should be someone from work OR someone who can comment on how you would be suited to teaching. So who could you ask if you didn't have a job? I would assume you couldn't ask friends or family, so I don't know?

I do have a job, but I really don't want to ask my boss. She's really unreliable with things, and she will most likely shout at me for asking her to do it, because that's what she's like. She's also not very good with computers which makes me worry she wouldn't be able to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People tend to use someone from work experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.