Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slsam)
    I have a 2:1 from KCL in paediatric nursing.
    How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    2:1 from St George's in Biomedical Science. why the switch from nursing if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Jesu)
    hoping the UKCAT cut-off will be friendly this year

any other grads applied here for the 5 year program?
    Yes! Have you also applied for their A101?

I'm a biomedical sciences graduate (2.1) with a UKCAT score of 3120 (780 average and band 3 for the SJT).

The previous UKCAT cut off scores for graduates applying to the A100 were as follows:

2012 cycle: 660
    2013 cycle: 670

What did you score in the UKCAT Jesu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by General Maximus)
    Yes! Have you also applied for their A101?

I'm a biomedical sciences graduate (2.1) with a UKCAT score of 3120 (780 average and band 3 for the SJT).

The previous UKCAT cut off scores for graduates applying to the A100 were as follows:

2012 cycle: 660
    2013 cycle: 670

What did you score in the UKCAT Jesu?
    I'm a graduate applicant applying for the 5-year MBBS program Maximus, so it's A100 for me

I managed to get 765 (band 2 for SJT), but just hope their cut-off doesn't sky rocket. The average this year for the UKCAT seems to have risen :s

where did you study Biomed buddy?

ReputationRep:
    Why do graduates apply for the 5 year course? Just wondering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by games211)
    Accelerated courses are more geared towards highly qualified professionals in biomedical sciences/health sciences/clinical sciences (although this is a bit of a generalisation. Most applicants are science graduates but not necessarily in the medical sciences). Arts/humanities graduates often prefer standard A100 courses just so that they won't have to learn all the hard science in the short span of a year like most graduate entry medics have to in their first year.

Also... it is (arguably) easier to get into A100 than GEP but that's not always true. I think it's just down to personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    How do you get funding and stuff like that for the 5 year course for a graduate?

ReputationRep:
    the intake of graduates for the undergrad course is also pretty high, and the less compacted first year of the A100 course makes it preferable to a lot of us.

ReputationRep:
    the intake of graduates for the undergrad course is also pretty high, and the less compacted first year of the A100 course makes it preferable to a lot of us.
    How do you know the intake is high, if you dont mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    When I called them, I remember they said their intake of graduates to their 5 year course was high. Also some of my friends who did Biomedical Sciences there told me there are a lot of graduates studying the A100 course

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received a confirmation email from here yet? I sent my application off two weeks ago and still haven't. I'm starting to get concerned.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it goes down to personal preference, involving intensity of the course; The A101 is more intensive, and difficulty in getting in; the A100 is generally easier for graduates to be invited to interview (The cut off is much lower).

For me, it's to maximise my chances of being accepted at Barts; I have also applied for the A101.

(Original post by Cephalosporin)
    Accelerated courses are more geared towards highly qualified professionals in biomedical sciences/health sciences/clinical sciences (although this is a bit of a generalisation. Most applicants are science graduates but not necessarily in the medical sciences). Arts/humanities graduates often prefer standard A100 courses just so that they won't have to learn all the hard science in the short span of a year like most graduate entry medics have to in their first year.

Also... it is (arguably) easier to get into A100 than GEP but that's not always true. I think it's just down to personal preference.
    You are quite right!

I'm a graduate applicant applying for the 5-year MBBS program Maximus, so it's A100 for me

I managed to get 765 (band 2 for SJT), but just hope their cut-off doesn't sky rocket. The average this year for the UKCAT seems to have risen :s

where did you study Biomed buddy?
    From the University of Westminster.

You have a high UKCAT score! (>10 Decile), I'm sure you would have had an interview for their A101 programme Jesu

The number of places for the two different courses are as follows:

A101: 40
    A100: 260 (of which 56 were graduates for 2013 cycle).

Generally there are more graduates on the A100, as opposed to the A101.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it goes down to personal preference, involving intensity of the course; The A101 is more intensive, and difficulty in getting in; the A100 is generally easier for graduates to be invited to interview (The cut off is much lower).

For me, it's to maximise my chances of being accepted at Barts; I have also applied for the A101.

You are quite right!

From the University of Westminster.

You have a high UKCAT score! (>10 Decile), I'm sure you would have had an interview for their A101 programme Jesu

The number of places for the two different courses are as follows:

A101: 40
    A100: 260 (of which 56 were graduates for 2013 cycle).

Generally there are more graduates on the A100, as opposed to the A101.
    I didn't want to take the risk Maximus.
    So does that mean you'll have 2 interviews for Barts (assuming you meet the cut-off, which you almost definitely will), as opposed to just 1 where they judge you for both courses?
    Where else did you apply if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Watching. Can answer any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't want to take the risk Maximus.
    So does that mean you'll have 2 interviews for Barts (assuming you meet the cut-off, which you almost definitely will), as opposed to just 1 where they judge you for both courses?
    Where else did you apply if you don't mind me asking?
    Yes I will be invited to two interviews (if successful). For the GEP Barts invite candidates to a selection centre (where Warwick Medical School are partners).

I've also applied to KCL A100 and Warwick A101.

What about you Jesu?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

Just to point out that in addition to personal preference financial practicalities will play a role in a grad's choice between A100 and A101 due to the massive differences in funding. I know for me and many others A100 course were not a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manupalace)
    Just to point out that in addition to personal preference financial practicalities will play a role in a grad's choice between A100 and A101 due to the massive differences in funding. I know for me and many others A100 course were not a possibility.
    Very true, I just didn't point it out as the question was geared towards why graduates apply for the A100, which financially, as you've mentioned, gives you incentive NOT to apply.

By the way, are the NHS still paying for most of the tuition fee, for the graduate programmes?

Where else have you applied Palace?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I will be invited to two interviews (if successful). For the GEP Barts invite candidates to a selection centre (where Warwick Medical School are partners).

I've also applied to KCL A100 and Warwick A101.

What about you Jesu?
    I was almost going to go with the exact same choices as you haha. But in the end, I just thought it was too risky going with Kings and Warwick. I ended up choosing Barts, Hull York, Queens Belfast and Newcastle all A100 courses. From what I heard, they base their interview invitations solely on UKCAT alone since I am a grad.

Warwick would be so good if you got in though, I've heard it has such a great GEP program!

Is the format for the selection centre interview the same as the Barts A100 one Maximus?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very true, I just didn't point it out as the question was geared towards why graduates apply for the A100, which financially, as you've mentioned, gives you incentive NOT to apply.

By the way, are the NHS still paying for most of the tuition fee, for the graduate programmes?

Where else have you applied Palace?
    Fair enough. Just wanted to put it out there as there are still people unaware of the financial differences.

The NHS cover £3,465 in years 2-4 with the rest of the fee which this year is £5535 covered by student loan (this will increase if the fee increases due to inflation). In year 1 we have to self fund £3465 and get a £5535 student loan. On top of this we get a maintenance loan in year 1 (means tested) and in years 2-4 we get a means tested NHS bursary (which can literally be £0 for some people), £1000 NHS scholarship (I think) and a reduced non means tested maintenance loan.

I'm not an applicant, I'm in my first year of the Imperial grad entry course. I applied to Barts last year for GEM (A101), got to the selection centre but got rejected after that. I'm hanging around to share the (limited) benefit of my experience

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many people applied to Barts and Warwick this year...If not could someone phone them?? im not at home atm

ReputationRep:
    My school sent my UCAS off on Monday morning - still haven't got my confirmation e-mail from Barts. This is completely normal right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.