Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a123a)
    Yeah same! In class they don't explain it as well and they actually confuse me more. When I get home to read the content it seems so much easier.

Are you doing OCR bio?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leer08)
    @Techno same here; don't know if people could share their notes or share any material on the matter of doing the biology AS ISA ? I am doing the

the effects of intracellular ion concentration on model plant cells
    click quote at the end of my post... let's me know you've replied

and yeah that's the same as me, i have no idea what to expect in the qualitative and evaluative parts :dontknow:

Moderator edit: Please do not discuss coursework specifics. General discussion is fine however.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've just joined TSR and discovered this thread! I'm studying OCR Biology at As level, not going to bad with exchange surfaces and plants but the cell module is more challenging, due to the fact we have a bad teacher for that module! Anyway, Helloo!(:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wondering if the terms diffusion gradient and concentration gradient mean the same thing and can be used interchangeably? If not, would you please clarify the two definitions for me? Thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Hilton184)
    x
    Really, the only difference is the specificity of the terms. A concentration gradient is a term which refers to any imbalance in the concentration of two objects (more As than Bs for example) while a diffusion gradient is just applying the idea of a concentration gradient to the concept of diffusion. You could really use both and never have an issue in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    First half term over How much have you guys covered? We've done 3/17 chapters. Causes of disease, Enzymes and the digestive system and Lungs and lung disease.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with OCR and we've finished the entire first module but one section on cell division and transport in plants My teachers are going really fast though :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kill3er)
    First half term over How much have you guys covered? We've done 3/17 chapters. Causes of disease, Enzymes and the digestive system and Lungs and lung disease.
    We've done the whole Chapter 3 and we're more than half way through Chapter 2. Now, comparing to others I see we actually haven't done that much O_o

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by overthelove)
    x
    It was worse under the january exam conditions because modules HAD to be finished by Christmas (essentially) so there was a lot of cramming, which, with OCR, isn't a good idea.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd like to take both F211 and F212 at the same time, it may have killed me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overthelove)
    I'm with OCR and we've finished the entire first module but one section on cell division and transport in plants My teachers are going really fast though :O

I'm doing OCR to and we've covered the whole first module! It's mad how quick they went though

ReputationRep:
    This thread is dead!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by finnthehuman)
    x
    Threads, such as these, are likely to become more active during the revision season.

In the meantime, feel free to propose a topic for other members' discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finnthehuman)
    This thread is dead!
    Watch in exam season ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Any revision notes for OCR: Chem+Bio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolface32)
    Watch in exam season ^_^
    Can't wait .

(Original post by Joseph_S)
    Any revision notes for OCR: Chem+Bio?
    What do you mean? Why don't you make your own, they will be tailored to fit you better and you will learn the while writing them

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I've just started my edexcel coursework for biology as but i have no idea what topic to choose?

We have to choose a biological issue and just base it around that

i've been thinking of either doing something like depression or diabetes

i find that with depression there is not enough solid information and there will probably be more for diabetes

however overall i just dont know what to do, i just procrastinate way to much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ema97)
    Hey!

I've just started my edexcel coursework for biology as but i have no idea what topic to choose?

We have to choose a biological issue and just base it around that

i've been thinking of either doing something like depression or diabetes

i find that with depression there is not enough solid information and there will probably be more for diabetes

however overall i just dont know what to do, i just procrastinate way to much
    Hey

I did edexcel bio AS last year and I did my issue report on stress, believe me it was a lot of work because there was very very little research/data on it and the way in which treatments actually affected it. In fact, I found that bit so hard that I ended up kind of redirecting the way I addressed the question from how I originally planned which was annoying to say the least, but I did end up with 56/60 in the end so it was worth it I guess.

I would suggest avoiding topics that have very little research, because it does mean that you will struggle like I did, which means you'll never really know how well you're doing in it. Depression isn't too bad if you're setting yourself the right question, but even that will be a bit complicated. The easiest ones I think would be ecology/conservation studies, where there's plenty of data availabile to you. Obviously if you don't want to do that, maybe choose a well known/researched medical issue like CHD. Diabetes is actually a good one I think, but you would need to think about whether its type 1 or type 2 you're talking about: don't make it too brief!

ReputationRep:
    i've just spent the past two hours google stuff to try and find a topic, im so indecisive i cant pick anything

however i have this idea but i dont know how to find something that fits it?
    basically i was to find an endangered animal that i could write about that has somehow contacted a disease that is also present in humans due to different reasons. say if the animal gets it through digesting something that causes their liver to fail and then they get it whereas say the human gets the disease from being obese?

so then ill be able to mention social issues but mainly i will focus on how to prevent exstiction on that certain animal?

see that seems really appealing to me but nothing seems to fit it

(sorry about rambling, hopefully talking this out might help ahah)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ema97)
    i've just spent the past two hours google stuff to try and find a topic, im so indecisive i cant pick anything

however i have this idea but i dont know how to find something that fits it?
    basically i was to find an endangered animal that i could write about that has somehow contacted a disease that is also present in humans due to different reasons. say if the animal gets it through digesting something that causes their liver to fail and then they get it whereas say the human gets the disease from being obese?

so then ill be able to mention social issues but mainly i will focus on how to prevent exstiction on that certain animal?

see that seems really appealing to me but nothing seems to fit it

(sorry about rambling, hopefully talking this out might help ahah)
    Don't worry about being indecisive, I didn't choose my topic until the actual deadline my school wanted them, but even then I was considering changing it.

So you're probably more interested in that particular disease as opposed to the endangered animal. The disease sounds good, and provided there's at least 2 biological therapies for it (drugs, gene therapy etc) (it could be 2 drugs even) and there are research and quantitative data on the therapies then it sounds like a good shout! But you would need to include social, ethical, economic and environmental implications of the actual therapies, the latter 2 is really general for most drugs.

When you talk about preventing the extinction of that animal, it does seem to make things a bit more complicated, and you don't want to make it too complicated or too broad, because that just leaves room for examiners to criticise your work. Maybe think about focusing on either that disease or the endangered animal. Of course if you're doing the disease, you could possibly mention the fact that it has led to the endangerment of the animal.

Edit: overall, just focus on one particular issue. You do not want to be overcomplicating it. You won't get extra marks for doing 'more'

ReputationRep:
    Guys how are we revising for biology??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 7, 2019

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.