Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What case studies and facts and figures do we need? When do we have to include them in a question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsrking)
    What case studies and facts and figures do we need? When do we have to include them in a question?
    Well you need general facts on a developed country (UK) such as gdp, unemployment, taxes, inequality, BOP etc. and on a developing country (I recommend 2). And then some recent case studies on topics. I believe you only include it when they ask e.g. example from a country or in a country of your choice etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Well you need general facts on a developed country (UK) such as gdp, unemployment, taxes, inequality, BOP etc. and on a developing country (I recommend 2). And then some recent case studies on topics. I believe you only include it when they ask e.g. example from a country or in a country of your choice etc.
    To be honest a lot of people just go mad overboard with this. You can easily bag an A* without knowing the Gini coefficient of five different countries and figures that came out last week. love urself and know the whole picture rather than getting worked up about a single figure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4.2.0)
    To be honest a lot of people just go mad overboard with this. You can easily bag an A* without knowing the Gini coefficient of five different countries and figures that came out last week. love urself and know the whole picture rather than getting worked up about a single figure
    I agree, according to the mark scheme you only need four marks for application. So just explain your points and try to throw in an application mark where ever you can. You don't have to do it for every single point and evaluation you make.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, how is everyone tackling preparation for this exam? I myself have been making thorough essay plans for a majority of the topics. Personally I find that section B of this paper is very underestimated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aminkaram)
    I agree, according to the mark scheme you only need four marks for application. So just explain your points and try to throw in an application mark where ever you can. You don't have to do it for every single point and evaluation you make.
    How would you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Light_bulb)
    Hey guys, how is everyone tackling preparation for this exam? I myself have been making thorough essay plans for a majority of the topics. Personally I find that section B of this paper is very underestimated.
    No lifing all nighters while I also have a maths exam on the same day which I've done nothing on. Ah lifes good :cry:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4.2.0)
    Still it's not a bad thing to know and it can make your essay look impressive (Can probably add marks too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farringtonn)
    How would you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean how would I do it? I would just write down the application points which I know and not worry about it too much if I failed to apply a certain point to a context. If you really do want to brush up on application tutor 2u has a really good economic development revision pack.

ReputationRep:
    No lifing all nighters while I also have a maths exam on the same day which I've done nothing on. Ah lifes good :cry:.
    Me too, D1 which is my worst nightmare. I feel you . Plus got chem tomorrow so not done much revision, need a B

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aminkaram)
    What do you mean how would I do it? I would just write down the application points which I know and not worry about it too much if I failed to apply a certain point to a context. If you really do want to brush up on application tutor 2u has a really good economic development revision pack.
    Do you have the link please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im pressuming FP1?

Also I really hope globalisation/ or trading blocs come up on this paper.

Do you have any preferences on which topic comes?

ReputationRep:
    Me too, D1 which is my worst nightmare. I feel you . Plus got chem tomorrow so not done much revision, need a B

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did D1 last year, it was a pain in the ass, I've got boring stats on Tuesday, probably going to do an all nighter right now and try to cram it all in. Luckily I did S2 last year so I know normal distribution already everything else I don't have a clue about :P.

ReputationRep:
    Same, i have been making essay plans for the major essays aswell. Find it easier to revise. Do you know what policies to include when writing about developing countries? I have been told not to write about fiscal and monetary policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhassan)
    Same, i have been making essay plans for the major essays aswell. Find it easier to revise. Do you know what policies to include when writing about developing countries? I have been told not to write about fiscal and monetary policies.
    It all really depends on what the questions asks for example if it stated what at the policies to promote growth and development id write about:

Tourism
    Micro-finance
    Debt cancellation
    Aid
    Lewis model
    Inward and outward strategies

Whereas if the question is asking what are the barriers to growth:

Primary product dependency-prebisch singer theory

Capital flight link with savings gap and Foreign exchange gap- could add in harrod and domar model with rustow input on saving.

Lack of infrastructure

Civil unrest in Somalia (my case study)

Etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhassan)
    I'm going to do that tomorrow, can you give me the list of all the topics that could come up please?

ReputationRep:
    when talking about infrastructure...what sort of points you guys make to develop it. improvements in roads? bulldings? it seems too broad.. and how exactly does infrastructure help promote development and competetiveness ?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the link please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...dated-for-2012

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spartz)
    when talking about infrastructure...what sort of points you guys make to develop it. improvements in roads? bulldings? it seems too broad.. and how exactly does infrastructure help promote development and competetiveness ?
    Infrastructure is actually quite easy to expand on imo. So for example you say that if a foreign company decides to invest in a country, they will create roads and airports for transferring products, they will also bring in new machinery. This will improve both actual and potential growth (Show this on AD / AS). Higher growth will naturally lead on to higher living standards in the future which will promote development. (Remember growth is part of development)

For competitiveness there are two ways to approach it. Either the effect on price or the effect on quality. For prices you can possibly say that firms will benefit from external economies of scale since transport prices fall and then link that to higher competitiveness etc. (And draw a diagram for this, these are all easy marks which people fail to mention). For quality you can say that new machinery will allow for improvements in the quality of products making demand for them less elastic and hence raising competitiveness.

ReputationRep:
    Im pressuming FP1?

Also I really hope globalisation/ or trading blocs come up on this paper.

Do you have any preferences on which topic comes?
    I have FP1 as well. Not even gonna bother studying for it. I'd much rather try my best to get an A* in this than to turn 95% into 100% in FP1

P.S what would your points be for the question: evaluate the view that trading blocs are the main cause of globalisation.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.