Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    Your view of reality for yourself is just very mediocre and thats why your average..
    You're*

And yes, Very happy to be average

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Believe me, even if I weren't to do all that we would still be far from rich
    Statistically you are....

Feel free to correct me, but my guesses are you're making AVCs of £150/month after tax relief, mortgage over payments of £400/month, investments of £150/month?

£700/month gets a sod of a lot extra on top of your current standard of living.

Depends what you define as rich though, personally I'd say its the top 25%, others say its the top 1%. But I find it difficult to find another word decribing people with earnings better than 9 out of 10 of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I believe Reue earns massively more than you do, or indeed, will do for a good number of years.

Having high self confidence doesn't change the realities.
    Also probably a lot older then me though...I also won't start earning money till I'm 25.

Realities are different for each person though. Everyone has a different reality. What's realistic for one person might not be for another.
    Each individual can work harder for what they want and make things happen though. You're in control of your own future. If you end up average it's your own fault. That's what I'm trying to say. If your happy being average then by all means be average it doesn't bother me lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    I have. I've got one extremely wealthy guy who literally said his dad could help me get into banking, and he owns a Ferrari Enzo/he's very much up there...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you've got someone who can"help you get into banking", you've got more advantage in the field than the vast majority of the population so count yourself lucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Feel free to correct me, but my guesses are you're making AVCs of £150/month after tax relief, mortgage over payments of £400/month, investments of £150/month?
    You could pretty much double your numbers and be about right

(Original post by Quady)
    Depends what you define as rich though, personally I'd say its the top 25%, others say its the top 1%. But I find it difficult to find another word decribing people with earnings better than 9 out of 10 of others.
    The difference between the top 1% and the top 2-10% is huge, whereas the difference between the top 2-10% and the top 80% isnt all that much.

Remember my household is also (currently) childless, I ride a cheap motorbike which gets over 100miles to the gallon and our heating/electricity combined bill is around £30 a month. We live very cheaply. If we were to live averagely for those on our household income level; all the AVCs/Overpayments/Investments would drop dramatically.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I will earn that much haha, maybe even more. The thing is ill work for it, make sure I get through med school and then either work for my uncle or do my own thing in pharmaceuticals. Either way I'll make sure I'm on £100k at 32. The only way that isn't gonna happen is if I drop out of medical school. I'll make sure I get through it though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    You could pretty much double your numbers and be about right

The difference between the top 1% and the top 2-10% is huge, whereas the difference between the top 2-10% and the top 80% isnt all that much.

Remember my household is also (currently) childless, I ride a cheap motorbike which gets over 100miles to the gallon and our heating/electricity combined bill is around £30 a month. We live very cheaply. If we were to live averagely for those on our household income level; all the AVCs/Overpayments/Investments would drop dramatically.
    I was being caucious :P basically took my own figues and toned them down a bit (athough mine aren't as high as yours)

Yes, thats the point, you don't feel rich for your household nicome level as you're not living averagely, you're cash hoarding and living frugally, your standard of living is atypically low.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly not bothered. Like probably about 17,000. I'm not a materialistic person though and don't want to live a life dominated by posessions and money.. Do my job, go home, chill beans, have fun..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yes, thats the point, you don't feel rich for your household nicome level as you're not living averagely, you're cash hoarding and living frugally, your standard of living is atypically low.
    Ah I see your point

I still don't think even the average spenders within my household income levels would be considered rich though. It is all perception, just amusing to read about those on here who would be unable to live on less than 100k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE)
    LOL
    What's funny lol
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408624499.167159.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  210.3 KB

You can make £600 a day just doing circumcisions lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nursing £25k then after my 6 month prectorship done agency nursing which is £18-£30 per hour then maybe move on to health visiting

ReputationRep:
    What's funny lol
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408624499.167159.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  210.3 KB

You can make £600 a day just doing circumcisions lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    im not laughing about the plausibility. im laughing because you believe that between now and 32 nothing will change in your circumstances that will prevent you from pursuing that goal. you gotta have a back up plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Cute how people are actually getting excited and look forward to making 20-30k, apparently not knowing that they'll lead a pretty miserable life with that, especially living in London.
    It would be a pretty comfortable life if you hadn't need to pay tax, insurance, rent and bills

ReputationRep:
    im not laughing about the plausibility. im laughing because you believe that between now and 32 nothing will change in your circumstances that will prevent you from pursuing that goal. you gotta have a back up plan
    I do have a back up plan...work in pharmaceuticals instead. The only thing that can change is GP salaries dropping, I fail med school, or I can't get a job as a doctor lol. 2 of those 3 things I have control over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some kind of assistant, 12K.

ReputationRep:
    I do have a back up plan...work in pharmaceuticals instead. The only thing that can change is GP salaries dropping, I fail med school, or I can't get a job as a doctor lol. 2 of those 3 things I have control over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The NHS has no money, either the NHS will be privatised and you will have no control over your work or salaries will reduce and working hours will increase

The private sector is the only place where you can realistically make money, becoming a doctor is a stupid way to make 100k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    The NHS has no money, either the NHS will be privatised and you will have no control over your work or salaries will reduce and working hours will increase

The private sector is the only place where you can realistically make money, becoming a doctor is a stupid way to make 100k
    Hi, I don't know the exact context of your post, but I'm only replying in rebuttal to what I've put in bold:

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore...y-for-doctors/

Look under pay for consultants. It goes up in increments (I believe this is over an 8 year period) from approx. 75 to 101K as per standard. This is without any clinical excellence awards or private/locum work.

Doctors aren't the most well paid people definitely, in-fact when you first graduate your salary is up to 22K+50% for Band C work (i.e. extra time), which is about 32K. Not that much compared to bankers!

Indeed I have a mate who's starting with Nomura (Japanese bank) for 65K (including bonuses) next year (he graduates in PPE).

BUT- being a doctor is definitely a fine way to make 100K, as all consultants inevitably do given the course of time (increments are automatic), it's just hard to become one in the first instance.

EDIT: This is the 6th year in a row where doctors' salaries have fallen. Doctors are over-worked and not paid enough to become millionaires (mostly). If you're thinking of getting into medicine in order to be rich, don't. There are rich medics (are consultants + private), but it's too much hassle if you have no interest/passion in what you're doing- the trek takes too many years.

If you want to make money, and only make money- go into finance.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I like determination but people on TSR seem to be oblivious to the future. what you think you have control of , may not be in your control in the future. maybe something, god forbid, tragic happens and suddenly you dont have the mental fortitude to cope with the demands of becoming doctor. or for whatever reason you mess up in your residency. or maybe cuts continue and the NHS will have to cut back on doctors they employ. or maybe Glaxoklinesmith or Astrazeneca are bought by Pfizer and suddenly there are redundancies. im not saying dont be determined, im saying be prepared for the unexpected, which generally means being way more flexible than you describe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All Taken)
    Hi, I don't know the exact context of your post, but I'm only replying in rebuttal to what I've put in bold:

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore...y-for-doctors/

Look under pay for consultants. It goes up in increments (I believe this is over an 8 year period) from approx. 75 to 101K as per standard. This is without any clinical excellence awards or private/locum work.

Doctors aren't the most well paid people definitely, in-fact when you first graduate your salary is up to 22K+50% for Band C work (i.e. extra time), which is about 32K. Not that much compared to bankers!

Indeed I have a mate who's starting with Nomura (Japanese bank) for 65K (including bonuses) next year (he graduates in PPE).

BUT- being a doctor is definitely a fine way to make 100K, as all consultants inevitably do given the course of time (increments are automatic), it's just hard to become one in the first instance.

EDIT: This is the 6th year in a row where doctors' salaries have fallen. Doctors are over-worked and not paid enough to become millionaires (mostly). If you're thinking of getting into medicine in order to be rich, don't. There are rich medics (are consultants + private), but it's too much hassle if you have no interest/passion in what you're doing- the trek takes too many years.

If you want to make money, and only make money- go into finance.
    A lot of post ccts cannot find consultant jobs, and if you do get a consultant job youll be in your mid 30s after having gone through grueling training and work hours.

Every single doctor told me if i was interested in making money whilst having a similar job, dentistry is a much better choice

ReputationRep:
    I like determination but people on TSR seem to be oblivious to the future. what you think you have control of , may not be in your control in the future. maybe something, god forbid, tragic happens and suddenly you dont have the mental fortitude to cope with the demands of becoming doctor. or for whatever reason you mess up in your residency. or maybe cuts continue and the NHS will have to cut back on doctors they employ. or maybe Glaxoklinesmith or Astrazeneca are bought by Pfizer and suddenly there are redundancies. im not saying dont be determined, im saying be prepared for the unexpected, which generally means being way more flexible than you describe
    I agree with this, it's important to demonstrate a sense of foresight and prior planning with regard to any respect of your life. If you go about assuming the best consistently, when something negative and unexpected happens you'd be left high and dry.

Having said that you cannot be expected to plan for every possibly detrimental occurrence which may or may not occur in your life, because it takes too much time/effort than is reasonable (what if I die today? What if I get hit by a car next week? What if our National Healthcare System explodes and hospital beds aren't free for the public? Etc). I'm sure you agree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.