Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan:£6,165
    Maintenance Grant:£3,387
    Bursaries:£6000 a year // £1000 a year total: £7000 a year
    Scholarships: N/A
    Savings: mmm around £500 i guess
    Money from Parents: not expecting any

Accommodation Cost: N/A (may be £190 a week :'( )
    Weekly spend after Accommodation:

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I have read through every single other persons post in this convo and decided that I should really work mine out so...

Maintenance Loan: £3610
    Maintenance Grant: Nothing
    Bursaries: Nothing
    Scholarships: Nothing
    Savings: I wish aha
    Money from Parents: Parents paying for accommodation and anything I need before uni like duvets, textbooks, phone contract etc

Accommodation Cost: £4824.40
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: Between £90.25 and £112.80 depending on how many weeks of my 40 week contract I actually spend living at Uni for (will go home in holidays etc) Also hoping to get a job so... maybe more! My mum has removed the overdraft from my account as I am an over-spender aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I like school)
    Okay so I have read through every single other persons post in this convo and decided that I should really work mine out so...

Maintenance Loan: £3610
    Maintenance Grant: Nothing
    Bursaries: Nothing
    Scholarships: Nothing
    Savings: I wish aha
    Money from Parents: Parents paying for accommodation and anything I need before uni like duvets, textbooks, phone contract etc

Accommodation Cost: £4824.40
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: Between £90.25 and £112.80 depending on how many weeks of my 40 week contract I actually spend living at Uni for (will go home in holidays etc) Also hoping to get a job so... maybe more! My mum has removed the overdraft from my account as I am an over-spender aha
    Will your mum pay my accommodation too? It's only £3175. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmanvi)
    Maintenance Loan:£6,165
    Maintenance Grant:£3,387
    Bursaries:£6000 a year // £1000 a year total: £7000 a year
    Scholarships: N/A
    Savings: mmm around £500 i guess
    Money from Parents: not expecting any

Accommodation Cost: N/A (may be £190 a week :'( )
    Weekly spend after Accommodation:

£7000 a year bursaries? :eek:
    What university is that? I'm transferring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    £7000 a year bursaries? :eek:
    What university is that? I'm transferring
    Loooooool XD
    Well my uni imperial is giving me 6k bursary (low income home) while my college is giving me a 1k scholarship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    Will your mum pay my accommodation too? It's only £3175. :cry2:
    oh man, I wish I could do that for you, I definitely feel super duper lucky ngl

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £2725
    Maintenance Grant: £3387
    Bursaries: £3000
    Scholarships: £1000
    Savings: £4000
    Money from Parents: :no:
    Total: £14,112

Accommodation Cost: £0
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £80/week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06shawm)

How'd you work out £80!!??
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    Well, you see, they may just anticipate weekly spending of £80, which wouldn't be incorrectly filled in given the wording.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

This has just made me think: Why the **** is SFE giving out loans and grants to people living at home, or do they anticipate huge costs travelling to the institution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    This has just made me think: Why the **** is SFE giving out loans and grants to people living at home, or do they anticipate huge costs travelling to the institution.
    It depends on the situation at home. Some parents cannot financially afford for their son/daughter to continue living at home. They would expect the son/daughter to contribute money for food,bills etc... through the money they had received through student finance.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the situation at home. Some parents cannot financially afford for their son/daughter to continue living at home. They would expect the son/daughter to contribute money for food,bills etc... through the money they had received through student finance.
    Loan I would say fair enough, Grant, not really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    That's roughly how much I spent weekly in year 1. So I presume it will be the same in year 2.

ReputationRep:
    I get £6332.00 this year from SFE as I'm living at home (it's cheaper that way) but my mum is on a low income so I guess that's why I get this much.
    I get a bursary of £700 because I come from a low income family but that's through university.

However I've worked out I'll have £38.75 a week to myself after I've paid money out so in that case, I'm not that much better off than someone who lives in halls.

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £3610.

Thats it. Parents earn too much but due to debts can't suppourt me so I have around £1900 saved up and will be getting a part time job or two to cover everything.

ReputationRep:
    Loan I would say fair enough, Grant, not really.
    But some of the loan gets taken off and is replaced with the grant (which is non-repayable)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplylldxo)
    But some of the loan gets taken off and is replaced with the grant (which is non-repayable)
    None of the grant is in place of the loan, you lose part of the loan (just over 1k) and part of the grant (about 500)

ReputationRep:
    None of the grant is in place of the loan, you lose part of the loan (just over 1k) and part of the grant (about 500)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408578938.459950.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  307.5 KBthis is what it says on my financial breakdown, I've had £1693 of my loan replaced by grant.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplylldxo)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408578938.459950.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  307.5 KBthis is what it says on my financial breakdown, I've had £1693 of my loan replaced by grant.
    Same effect, compared to in halls its 1k less loan 500 less grant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I get £5662 from sfe along with £1000 bursary and a £500 yearly travel bursary. I also get £750 yearly scholarship due to parents income. No accommodation costs as i am living at home

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.