Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else choosing between Bath and Warwick for Maths?

A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Aitch)

A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine was between bath, Durham and Warwick but I have decided not to consider warwick, much prefer Bath and Durham

ReputationRep:

A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Last year I was deciding between Bath and Warwick for Maths and I made my decision based on what I thought of the campuses when I visited. Personally I really didn't like Warwick so I chose Bath. If you've visited both and still can't decide, then I'm afraid I can't help, but if you haven't visited one or the other yet, I strongly encourage you to do so before making a decision - you are going to spend the next 3 or 4 years of your life there so you need to feel at home (I know your teachers have probably said this already but I can't stress enough how important it is...). Good luck wherever you go!

(First year CompSci and Maths)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got AAB for AS. I totally bombed my history one so let's not mention that one. I have received on offer for Social Work and Applied Social Studies. I'm not sure what the conditions of my offers are because UCAS track is done for a few days

But yeah Bath is amazing, definitely going to be my firm choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies above. All else being equal, I wonder how much more prestigious employers would view a good Warwick degree over one from Bath - it seems as though Warwick is often bracketed with Oxbridge for Maths (they appear to attract a fair few Cambridge applicants who miss their STEP grades...), with Bath in the 'next cluster down'? I guess that, in the end, you're more likely to perform well on a campus setup that you prefer anyway, so I guess it all equals out...

A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Dan)
    It's between Keele and Bath for firm, I'm struggling to decide, where else have u applied
    I love bath and the uni seems so good! I've applied to bath, cardiff, liverpool, st george's and bristol

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am struggling to pick a firm choice- it's between Durham and Bath.i was just wondering if anybody has been to Bath and if they could give me an insight in to what it is like.I am going to visit them both- I just wanted some info before I went.So if anybody could me any insight that would be extremely helpful!.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/bath
    http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-bath-b16
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...guide-uni-bath
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Bath

Take your pick...but there really is NO substitute for actually visiting.

FWIW, my impressions, when I visited last June:

- Relatively compact, and a bit ‘concrete brutalist 60s‘, in the central cluster.
    - Accommodation ranged from ‘acceptable‘ to ‘really quite plush‘ - but again, pricey.
    - Town pretty, but quite pricey.
    - Really VERY impressive sports facilities - if this is important to you.
    - Students relatively ‘WASP‘ in profile - maybe a little like a ‘mini-Exeter‘? Dunno...
    - My conclusion was really: Very nice - but you get what you pay for - and may not suit students on tight budgets.

A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by kateyl)
    Thank you!

Do you find the civil engineering course a tough transition from sixth form or not?
    What are the numbers like with regard to the number of people on the course (and what proportion do MEng)?
    And do you have any advice when it comes to choosing accommodation?
    Hi,

Thanks for the message. Personally I didn't find the transition a major jump. I don't think that the content is a massive amount more difficult than Alevel. In my opinion the main difficulties are that there is lot more content to learn and understand and at university it is down to you to take responsibility for your learning. It is down to you to make sure you understand concepts. Of course there is support available but only if you make the first move! This isn't to scare you, most people are more than motivated enough to take responsibility but you may find this a big jump.

In terms of numbers, there is around 100 on the current civil engineering course and I'd guess it'd be about the same for your year. This is reasonably typical and is probably similar at other universities. We often do projects with the architects and have some lectures with them. That makes a total of about 250 people.

In terms of accommodation, I live with 17 with shared bathrooms. I have no problem with this and like all my flatmates! I did however want ensuite accommodation (obviously didn't get it). My advice would be to think about your budget and go from there. If you want and can afford ensuite accommodation then great! If not, don't worry, all the other accommodation is more than good enough. Try and be quick if you want ensuite as this is the most popular. There are a few accommodation blocks not on campus but I'd definitely suggest you try for campus accommodation. Ultimately it's more down to who your flat mates are than where you're staying - and sadly that's down to the luck of the draw! Take a look at this link: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/accom...pus/index.html

I hope that helps.

If you have any more questions, please ask!

Rob
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by emzyyyyy)
    Hi guys, I am struggling to pick a firm choice- it's between Durham and Bath.i was just wondering if anybody has been to Bath and if they could give me an insight in to what it is like.I am going to visit them both- I just wanted some info before I went.So if anybody could me any insight that would be extremely helpful!.
    Hi,

I'm Rob - a first year civil engineer student!

Personally I think Bath is a lovely place! It's very beautiful and has some fantastic architecture if this interests you. The journey into town is about 10 minutes on the bus and has all the shops you'd expect from a city as well as the more 'cute' shops from a 'touristy' city like Bath.

Some people worry that the city is a bit small and boring. Personally I didn't find this and am more than happy with the city. I think this is only something to consider if you are used to very busy cities such as London or a party capital!

In terms of the campus, it's pretty small but I like this as everything is so close and really convenient. There are shops, banks, cafes, a club and much more on campus! I think it's quite a happening campus - things always seem to be on. We have really good sports facilities and some great clubs for all abilities. As with all universities we have hundreds of societies for any interest you may have.

In your first year you'll probably be living on campus which means you're just 5 minutes away from your lectures (great for a 9.15 lecture!). The accommodation is pretty typical for university and varies depending on price.

I hope that help, if you have any more questions then feel free to ask!

Rob

ReputationRep:
    If anyone cares about off campus accommodation I stayed there while at bath and it is underrated, buses come every 3 minutes in the morning from city centre to campus so that's not a problem. The john wood court accommodation is enclosed within a courtyard in the city centre with key card access to get in and is within 30 seconds walk of: an amazingly priced kebab, wetherspoons, nandos, a very decent fitness first gym with a pool and its also well within a 5mins stagger home from any of the clubs or bars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nivrap402)
    If anyone cares about off campus accommodation I stayed there while at bath and it is underrated, buses come every 3 minutes in the morning from city centre to campus so that's not a problem. The john wood court accommodation is enclosed within a courtyard in the city centre with key card access to get in and is within 30 seconds walk of: an amazingly priced kebab, wetherspoons, nandos, a very decent fitness first gym with a pool and its also well within a 5mins stagger home from any of the clubs or bars.
    On campus accommodation is primarily for first years right? I do like the sound of kebabs close by :lol: what's the nearest one to campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just received an offer for physics! Choosing between Warwick and Bath! :s

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer of A*AA for Civil Engineering. Between firming Bath or Sheffield, no idea which, any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else who hasn't received their offer? I sent my application in December and still no news.
    I'm getting pretty scared right now 😖

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got an offer for Management yet?

ReputationRep:
    anyone got an offer for Economics with Maths? Sent application beginning December, still waiting for a reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salken)
    anyone got an offer for Economics with Maths? Sent application beginning December, still waiting for a reply
    I got an offer for Economics and Maths if thats what you meant. I wouldnt worry no news is good news
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Bude8)
    On campus accommodation is primarily for first years right? I do like the sound of kebabs close by :lol: what's the nearest one to campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Bude8,

On campus accommodation is almost exclusively for first year students. More info is available here. If you're interested in kebabs then there is usually a fast food van on campus for freshers who are returning from nights out!

Feel free to quote me with any other questions.

Sam

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Phew, just got an offer from bath for MMaths, does anyone know how long after the offer will they invite me to an UCAS day? Thanks! I'm also struggling to choose between Warwick and Bath here

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 19, 2015

University open days

• University of Bath
    Engineering & Design, Humanities & Social Sciences, Management, Science Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Engineering & Design, Humanities & Social Sciences, Management, Science Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Sat, 14 Sep '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.