Turn on thread page Beta

Badges are live.... beta rollout! watch

• View Poll Results: What would you like to name the recognition system
    Badges
    61.61%
    Shields
    30.36%
    Something else (please post in the thread)
    8.04%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I probably won't ever get Hero 2, let alone Hero 3. I got a few thank yous today (a rare event) but no reps.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post61914173

As you can see from this post, it's way more complicated than that. We are answering them too quickly. I guess the Unanswered Thread team will be more likely to get the badge now.
    Yeah, I'm on that, but it seems that the posts I do in their time restraints don't get repped, but the ones that aren't do :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Yeah, I'm on that, but it seems that the posts I do in their time restraints don't get repped, but the ones that aren't do :emo:
    Well, I'm the same. I have quite a large amount of rep, but it looks as if where it comes from doesn't fit into the pigeonholes it has to, even for a level 2 badge, although tbh until this thread started, I had forgotten the very existence of the badges.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Well, I'm the same. I have quite a large amount of rep, but it looks as if where it comes from doesn't fit into the pigeonholes it has to, even for a level 2 badge, although tbh until this thread started, I had forgotten the very existence of the badges.
    There must be a flaw in the system if even you can't get one, with your incredibly large bundle of rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    There must be a flaw in the system if even you can't get one, with your incredibly large bundle of rep
    I think it is quite a lot, in the scheme of things, although it's taken me 5 years.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rayquaza17)

I got my hero 3 not long after joining.
    Show off

ReputationRep:
    Is it 25 posts a month to earn Chatterbox Level 1?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Charles Dupiau)
    Is it 25 posts a month to earn Chatterbox Level 1?
    See this page

It's 25/100/500 for 1/2/3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    See this page

There really oughtta be level 4 and 5 for those of us who accidentally hit 500 posts in one week lol
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Alexion)
    There really oughtta be level 4 and 5 for those of us who accidentally hit 500 posts in one week lol
    :facepalm2: or perhaps a 'study more instead of being on TSR' level 1 badge.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: or perhaps a 'study more instead of being on TSR' level 1 badge.
    wow, you just summed up my life

I NEED THAT BADGE

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** has this thread resurfaced hahaha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ekno)
    Why the **** has this thread resurfaced hahaha
    Because the staff has told it goes with the badges on in this year and is planning to make improvements. Wait and see...

ReputationRep:
    See this page

If I did 40 posts last month why don't I have a badge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Hello everyone,

Exciting news! Our development team are currently working on the beta version of the new TSR recognition system.

This has been designed initially following discussion with members and our mod team via surveys, threads and a combination of 1-2-1 conversations with members and face-to-face time with mods.

More recently we have tested a most helpful/unanswered thread competition and a most popular competition. The feedback you have been provided has been invaluable and has strongly suggested that the direction of your new recognition system is the right one.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'll say straight up that this OP may, for some of you, become a TL;DR (too long, didn't read ) but I think it's important to share as much information with you as possible at this stage because it is such a big piece of development.

I want you to know that this is a "beta" rollout, it's by no means the finished product. We wanted to share the plans initially and then together we can shape it.

So here goes TSR!

For a long time we have been discussing the options around having a badge system. The ultimate objective of this is to help the community better identify, recognise, endorse and commend our members that helpfully contribute on TSR. We plan to have an array of badges that do this across the board, for different forums, and to celebrate what members have to offer - you are all unique and bring something different to TSR.

We have three badges in development currently which we plan to roll out before Christmas. Each with three levels, the number of levels will continue to evolve over the coming months.

1. Unanswered threads
    2. Study Help
    3. Number of posts

The initial badge for each one is designed to be easy, then it will become incrementally harder to reach the next level. Again if you think level 2 and 3 are too tricky just let me know or too easy. The badge levels can then continue to increase as achieve more/ post more i.e. level 4, 5, 6......... 25..... 80.

1. Unanswered threads

Spoiler:
    Show
    Rules
    Spoiler:
    Show

This badge will be based on the total number of posts made in the study help forum that have received rep.

50 - 249 study help forum posts with rep - Badge 1
    250 - 499 study help forum posts with rep - Badge 2
    500+ study help forum posts with rep - Badge 3

Currently a new member may have 0 rep power, within this system this will no longer matter and the rep given will count towards the unanswered thread badge.
    Spoiler:
    Show

25 - 99 total posts made - Badge 1
    100 - 499 total posts bade - Badge 2
    500 + posts - Badge 3

Potential badge name: Chatterbox

Roll out

Each member will have a cabinet tab on their profile page.

There will be a new notification that will confirm you have been awarded a badge.

We will have a new page which provides information on our badges. In the future we will look to develop something along the lines of this: http://askubuntu.com/help/badges and http://stackoverflow.com/help/badges

After the go-live the first "criteria check" will occur per user. This will only happen once the member has made a post (unfortunately the unanswered thread and study help badge cannot be backdated)

An image relating to badges in their post user information will be displayed on threads.

FAQs
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Q: So are the badges based on posts or reps for the posts?
    A: They have different criteria

So Chatterbox is low for level three but it also makes it easier to get and then we'll increase it to 800 for level 4 if we are agreed this is sensible. Ultimately it will mean that initially a lot of members will have earned a badge already.

Some of the badges will be based on posts, some on rep... there is also a Pied Piper badge in the pipeline which is based on the most followed member of the month. And a centurion badge for members that create threads which have over 100 posts in them.

Q: Why did you choose those badges to roll out first?
    A: We felt that initially these would support the community a balanced way in terms of getting everyone involved, playing a role in actively helping other members, as well as just choosing to post and just have a chat.

Q: Excellent advice is given in money and finance, why don't they have a badge?
    A: It's only SH for now. In the future a similar badge can be introduced to money and finance if the community are agreed that this would be helpful. It could be a yellow badge with pound sign instead for example. So we know then that yellow means that a member is "helpful". Another example would be to have a yellow badge in health and relationships but they could have a heart logo and it could be the agony aunt badge for helpful members that are repped for their supportive contribution etc.

Q: What will happen to our rep?
    A: Rep will remain. so if you are repped in other parts of the site where a badge doesn't apply it will just go towards your general rep count

Q: Why haven't you chosen to launch more badges during this initial phase?
    A: Because we would like the community to identify the next set of badges to go into development. During this first phase we'll be testing the functionality and the criteria we have agreed. From a community point of view it's about identifying what's working, what isn't and now we have a platform, what do you want to get out of your community's recognition system. From our point of view (the CT) this is something that should be "owned" by you as members and invested in and developed by TSR HQ.

Q: The university forums are key to TSR, why isn't their a badge that recognises this yet?
    A: One that immediately springs to mind is "applications adviser" - based on the excellent advice posted in applications and UCAS and the supporting subject and courses forums.

Q: Will some users try to "game" the system
    A: There is always potential for this in any game situation but for those badges that can only be awarded through rep and sometimes via only the OP this will make it harder.

Q: Some members don't know to give rep, or even say thank you, this is going to make it harder to earn badges.
    A: The culture of "rep" will gently change via this system of recognition and this is something we will have to make sure we communicate alongside the launch and in the coming months. We are also planning a new TSR Help Centre style hub, which we hope will help our newer members and reassuringly introduce them to the ways of TSR.

Q: Using badges to identify helpful members - what does this mean?
    Members will be able to view other member's cabinets and see what badges they have.

This system also has the potential to be able to identify members that could become part of Team TSR - i.e. community assistants/ moderators etc. If certain members are being regularly endorsed through rep for badges in certain sections of the site then arguably it makes sense to ask them to join the team - the community has spoken.

So what will the badges look like?

Here is a preview of the first phase.

The badge cabinet on a member's profile.

Badge count on a member's user information on a thread - kindly modelled by the bear.

And on mobile pages - check out FKLW:

Questions for you TSR

1. Please post in the poll and let us know whether you would like to call your recognition system - Badges, shields or something else (post here a new name).
    2. Your thoughts on phase one
    3. If you don't like the current badge names, what would you prefer them to be called?
    4. How you would like this system to be developed in the future
    5. Any ideas for forum specific badges
    6. Anything else that comes to mind.......

Thanks alot for taking the time to read this and looking forward to building this together with you.

She-Ra
    Do you think there will be any new badges soon?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Blake Jones)
    Do you think there will be any new badges soon?
    There are no plans currently, but I hope they will be in the future.

What are you thinking?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What are you thinking?
    Universities? :flute:

ReputationRep:
    There are no plans currently, but I hope they will be in the future.

What are you thinking?
    Ah okay, I was thinking something along the lines of providing support/motivation/encouragement and maybe one for the amount of work completed etc like, something like a log of productivity?

ReputationRep:
    I suggest a ribbon award, with different levels, for those who report cyber-bulling,
    whether for racism, sexism, homophobia, religious, ethnic, nor national origin
    based. This should include reports that are substantiated by TSR,
    and also include a nomination be members who appreciate someone
    standing up for them or someone, too. So, perhaps its two different ones,
    a ribbon by nomination of the users, and then, a shield called "protector"
    from TSR, two different ones.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by luq_ali)
    I suggest a ribbon award, with different levels, for those who report cyber-bulling,
    whether for racism, sexism, homophobia, religious, ethnic, nor national origin
    based. This should include reports that are substantiated by TSR,
    and also include a nomination be members who appreciate someone
    standing up for them or someone, too. So, perhaps its two different ones,
    a ribbon by nomination of the users, and then, a shield called "protector"
    from TSR, two different ones.
    The danger being if those stats were public then you'd have some people who would take offense to someone who reports people frequently. :lol:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.