Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    The moon's landscape would hardly change, I don't see the furore about it. The select few people who would care would be those who live on the moon (which no one does) and the astronomers.
    I think you seriously underestimate the issue here

Aph we are talking about over £140bn. Means testing won't cover that and would still have to be done on people with disabilities, regardless if you think that's moral or not. I think Bennett should have known some inkling of how she was going to fund her key policy and this idea that it doesn't matter is scary.. Having someone who can't manage a budget on a national scary can only be a bad thing?
    yes she should I suppose but this is still something I would support regardless.

With regards to Islamic terrorism it will give a medium to any Islamic extremist to go and meet other Islamic extremists and I have no doubt they will discuss terrorism and be inspired to do hideous acts. Not to mention the public anger when they realise that the government is giving Al-Qaeda any sort of airtime or significance in the UK. And no, I don't buy into their big line that "the west don't accept them", there are many Muslims in the Uk who are fine here and they have (mostly) integrated well on the whole. The murder of Lee Rigby was done in protest against intervention in Iraq/Afghan and the same in Paris. I, for one, don't want fear instilled anywhere more in the Uk with regards to terrorism and think the Greens have went on too many fruit-loops to see any negatives to what they would be doing.
    and talking about terrorism is still a crime. And I can't see how they would suddenly grow rapidly like You predict. Yes I don't buy their strap like either but many people do and we should combat that. And why do you think that this would make people more afraid? If anything it would make people less scared then any right wing policy banning Islam or whatnot.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    And that is bad because? ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean why that's bad?! Do you care about nothing? What gives us the right to take whatever environment we want and trash it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    What do you mean why that's bad?! Do you care about nothing? What gives us the right to take whatever environment we want and trash it?
    Yes, I care about the welfare of humanity and animals. I don't see what argument you are actually giving other than the "how it looks" argument. It's not sentient for goodness sake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are totally wrong on that count! Just think about the incredible opposition about mining or resource exploitation in the relatively unspoilt Arctic or Antarctic. Do you genuinely think that people are going to be happy with the totally unspoiled moon? I don't see any reason why anyone should be allowed to mine on the moon. It doesn't belong to anyone, nobody has that right to give away. We can't even look after our own planet, god save us if we start industrialising other celestial bodies.
    Yet you're the one sitting using your first world computer eating plenty of food and consuming a lot of energy. You can't criticise humanity for their crimes against nature if you yourself are culpable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I think you seriously underestimate the issue here

yes she should I suppose but this is still something I would support regardless.

and talking about terrorism is still a crime. And I can't see how they would suddenly grow rapidly like You predict. Yes I don't buy their strap like either but many people do and we should combat that. And why do you think that this would make people more afraid? If anything it would make people less scared then any right wing policy banning Islam or whatnot.
    So the Green Party want to legalise joining Al-Qaeda but won't let them talk about terrorism? Pfft
    I agree that we should take more action on uniting society you'll find there will still be those that don't want to integrate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Yes, I care about the welfare of humanity and animals. I don't see what argument you are actually giving other than the "how it looks" argument. It's not sentient for goodness sake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's an unspoiled environment that we have no right to trash just because we're incapable of looking after our own environment. You mentioned earlier that you support leaving Antarctica alone. Why? There's not a lot of life in the centre of the continent, in the dry valleys. Lots of minerals there too. So let's go screw that up too!

The moon is a pristine environment and the fact that "nothing lives there" doesn't give us the right to destroy it. On top of that intrinsic fact, it's also a scientific goldmine. If we start contaminating the moon, we could potentially lose a lot of incredibly valuable information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Ohhh ok thank you
    what on earth are you on about?!
    Oh and I'd rather you not send me up with you you can't just send away anyone you dislike.
    Okay. Let's have a vote then. 85% of people would vote that I continue to stay here and 99.9% would vote that you get to leave. Goodbye, enjoy the monkey love on Alpha Centauri.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by temporary_user)
    Yet you're the one sitting using your first world computer eating plenty of food and consuming a lot of energy. You can't criticise humanity for their crimes against nature if you yourself are culpable
    The only way not to be 'culpable' would living away from society. If you do that no one would listen. Sometimes you need to make a deal with the devil to do the godly thing.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 41b)
    Okay. Let's have a vote then. 85% of people would vote that I continue to stay here and 99.9% would vote that you get to leave. Goodbye, enjoy the monkey love on Alpha Centauri.
    :rolleyes: bye. I'm staying.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by temporary_user)
    What an absurd argument. It is impossible for someone to live in a sustainable manner in an institutionally unsustainable society. That does not mean that you can't demand societal change. I live in as sustainable a manner as I can practically live in given the constraints that I have but that doesn't mean I can work a sudden miracle. You can only work within the constraints that you're able to work - that doesn't mean that you can't demand for those constraints to be changed.

ReputationRep:
    You are totally wrong on that count! Just think about the incredible opposition about mining or resource exploitation in the relatively unspoilt Arctic or Antarctic. Do you genuinely think that people are going to be happy with the totally unspoiled moon? I don't see any reason why anyone should be allowed to mine on the moon. It doesn't belong to anyone, nobody has that right to give away. We can't even look after our own planet, god save us if we start industrialising other celestial bodies.
    The only people who care about that are greenpeace activists and their sex-devoid followers.

I bet a large plurality of people, when it comes down to it, would personally shoot and kill a polar bear if it meant they could get a new, top of the line computer or something they value equally as much.

ReputationRep:
    It's an unspoiled environment that we have no right to trash just because we're incapable of looking after our own environment. You mentioned earlier that you support leaving Antarctica alone. Why? There's not a lot of life in the centre of the continent, in the dry valleys. Lots of minerals there too. So let's go screw that up too!

The moon is a pristine environment and the fact that "nothing lives there" doesn't give us the right to destroy it. On top of that intrinsic fact, it's also a scientific goldmine. If we start contaminating the moon, we could potentially lose a lot of incredibly valuable information.
    But environments don't have unilateral rights Chlorophile..

I'd be perfectly happy on exploiting the middle of Antarctica if it didn't affect any of the animal population, but in reality, it would. Antarctica is also a bit different to the moon. I think people would care a lot more about what happens on Earth than what happens on other celestial bodies.

The fact that it's a scientific gold mine of course is something that should be considered, but it's not as if by starting mining in particular areas the whole moon is going to be screwed over. The moon is a very large place...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by 41b)
    The only people who care about that are greenpeace activists and their sex-devoid followers.

I bet the vast majority of people, when it comes down to it, would personally shoot and kill a polar bear if it meant they could get a new, top of the line computer.
    I don't really have anything to say to that other than I feel sorry for you. Your life must be pretty miserable if you genuinely don't care about anything.

ReputationRep:

oh ffs, it's a lump of rock.

We should make sure it doesn't alter the tides or whatever, but seriously, it's a lump of rock. It's not like an alien rain forest or whatever.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    So the Green Party want to legalise joining Al-Qaeda but won't let them talk about terrorism? Pfft
    I agree that we should take more action on uniting society you'll find there will still be those that don't want to integrate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, insisting terrorism is still a crime. It's similar to saying well a few members of the scouts killed a person as 'scout purists' so we will outlaw the scouts. We are blaming the many for crimes of a few.

Yes there will but their voices will grow weaker over time.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    But environments don't have unilateral rights Chlorophile..

I'd be perfectly happy on exploiting the middle of Antarctica if it didn't affect any of the animal population, but in reality, it would. Antarctica is also a bit different to the moon. I think people would care a lot more about what happens on Earth than what happens on other celestial bodies.

The fact that it's a scientific gold mine of course is something that should be considered, but it's not as if by starting mining in particular areas the whole moon is going to be screwed over. The moon is a very large place...
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then why do we suddenly get the right to destroy it? The universe was just fine before humans came along. Why are you perfectly happy for your own species to operate in the exact same manner as a virus?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    oh ffs, it's a lump of rock.

We should make sure it doesn't alter the tides or whatever, but seriously, it's a lump of rock. It's not like an alien rain forest or whatever.
    Do you have any idea of the scientific value of the moon? Any idea whatsoever?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The moon is a completely pristine environment.
    of death!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    of death!
    What?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea of the scientific value of the moon? Any idea whatsoever?
    I'm sure you're going to inform me.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.