Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -MLS-)
    How is everyone learning their case studies? I think I have learnt them fairly well for unit 1, it's just some specific figures and percentages I'm struggling with. Any advice?
    They're studies or research, make sure you don't refer to them as case studies in the exam!

Case studies are unique cases of usually one/two individuals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uglyula)
    Theres implications of studies daycare (trained staff, low staff turnover, 3:1 staff to child ratio) and implications of attachment (case study of JOHN- regular hospital hours, Circle of Security, Fostering within 1 week of childbirth) don't get that mixed up!!! my teacher told me to explain a study and explain how it influenced child care then evaluate itxx
    I don't understand how to distinguish between a02 and a01 for this question surely It won't come up?

ReputationRep:
    Can you use the Hodges and Tizard study for privation as well as the effects of institutional care, or can it only be used for the effects of institutional care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanherbert)
    Can you use the Hodges and Tizard study for privation as well as the effects of institutional care, or can it only be used for the effects of institutional care?
    it can be used for both same thing goes for the rutter et al study. And on that topic I am struggling with coming up with any evaluation points for Rutter et al, anyone got any decent ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    I don't understand how to distinguish between a02 and a01 for this question surely It won't come up?
    I agree that its very unlikely, I feel confident enough that it wont come up that im not gonna learn it, perhaps I will seriously regret this decision in a few days though lol. If it does come up a lot of it is common sense but its very difficult to distinguish between ao1 and ao2, basically think of it like research on day care in reverse, in a research on day care question youd talk about the studies and their findings first, NIHCD Field etc, then in ao2 talk about the implication such as staff to child ratios being changed. Well in the day care changes question switch it around talk about low staff turnover, child:staff ratios first and for your a02 talk about studies supporting it

ReputationRep:
    with day care can you use shea to evaluate NIHCD as they found contradicting results in agression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpopcuino)
    it can be used for both same thing goes for the rutter et al study. And on that topic I am struggling with coming up with any evaluation points for Rutter et al, anyone got any decent ones?
    You could talk about the pros and cons of it being a:
    - longitudinal study
    - natural experiment
    - opportunity sample

that's what I normally speak about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpopcuino)
    I agree that its very unlikely, I feel confident enough that it wont come up that im not gonna learn it, perhaps I will seriously regret this decision in a few days though lol. If it does come up a lot of it is common sense but its very difficult to distinguish between ao1 and ao2, basically think of it like research on day care in reverse, in a research on day care question youd talk about the studies and their findings first, NIHCD Field etc, then in ao2 talk about the implication such as staff to child ratios being changed. Well in the day care changes question switch it around talk about low staff turnover, child:staff ratios first and for your a02 talk about studies supporting it
    that's the thing I don't get what if the 12 marker is on how research has influenced child care practices? do you talk about day care research influence for example field found high quality can provide social development and low turnover etc .
    So when does attachment research come in? Like bowlby importance of SAF Because that influenced day care to have low staff turnover so children can maintain a SAF.

How on earth do you evaluate this. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    There is a possibility of it coming up as there is enough content for it to be a 12 marker let me give u an example

Implications in attachment for ao1 state the implications: regular hospital hours, circle of security and fostering within sensitive period. Then show evidence for these ideas such as Rutter et al - 100 Romanian orphans adopted by british families before the sensitive period had managed to show normal social development which helped establish rules regarding fostering within first weeks of birth, in order to form an attachment in the sensitive period. Link back to the implication saying that forstering within sensitive period is important because those adpoted after 3-6 months have shown difficulties in development

For ao2 you can evaluate Rutter et al and present a study which goes against its findings

a bit muddled but hope it helps
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain the working memory model as simply as they can? I've learned a really difficult explanation and remember it well - but don't understand it as well as I should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Can someone explain the working memory model as simply as they can? I've learned a really difficult explanation and remember it well - but don't understand it as well as I should.
    Would it be helpful if i sent you an image from the source i use to learn about the working memorY.

For psychology, iam usinf the aqa endorsed textboook and the collins eye-textbook...it is sufficient to get high a-grades using both these textbooks

ReputationRep:
    theres a chance this is wrong as i dont really understand it but...

central executive- control system, modality free, supervisory function, directs information to the correct slave system

phonological loop- limited capacity slave system containing the inner ear and inner voice and converts verbal information into speech based format

visuo-spatial sketchpad- limited capactiy temporary storage system for visual and spatial information, containing the visual cache and inner scribe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K3lvin)
    But by talking about john in a01 this would get full marks 6/6 how can it not because there isnt much else to write about
    Bowlby maternal deprivation and then bolwby abd 44 thieves too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've just learnt this today because had a quick panic and realised theres a possibility of it coming up as a 12 marker. I've done a plan of what to write, but I'm not 100% sure I'm right so please correct me if wrong!
    So if the question is: Discuss how reserach into attachment and day care has influenced child care practices...
    1. Bowlby
    - Principle of sensitive period: i.e. attachments form between 2 and a half and if you don't form an attachment in this period, problems later on...etc
    - How influenced child care: low child to staff ratio (3:1) for 0-2 year old as according to Bowlby, this is when attachments are most likely to form and haveing a low child to staff ratio means the children get enough attention. Also, adoption practices have changed as usually the mother was encouraged to keep the baby for as long as possible before putting it up for adoption, but now adoptions are made ASAP because after 2.5 years, it's increasinly difficult to form an attachment - according to Bowlby.
    (you could also talk about minimal staff turnover and consistency of care etc)
    For evaluation, you would just evaluate Bowlby normally. So, Hodges and Tizard support it, Kagan says he ignores temperament, and all that
    2. Hodges and Tizard
    - Explain briefly the study and explain they found children who had formed no attachment acted aggressively later in life.
    Influences for child care: Staff in institutions are now encouraged to form attachment with the children to avoid this aggressive behaviour. Therfore, they need qualified staff to help communicate with the children and respond sensitively to their needs.
    You would then evaluate this study as usual, e.g. only 65 children
    3. Roberton and Bowlby - PDD model
    Explain the study briefly and explain they found children who were separated from primary caregivers were likely to: protest, despair, detach...
    Influences for child care: Hospitals have more flexible visitng times for chldren to ensure attachment is not disrupted or broken, reducing the PDD effects. The visiting arrangements are allowed and encouraged.
    Then evalute the study as usual.

Sorry if this is really long! Hopefully it doesn't come up, but it is probably worth knowing just in case because it is on the spec, and there is enough for a 12 marker. Hope this help some people xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanoff)
    They're studies or research, make sure you don't refer to them as case studies in the exam!

Case studies are unique cases of usually one/two individuals.
    Ahh yes, thankyou for pointing that out! Too much revision my brain has seem to exploded with info

ReputationRep:
    WMM consists of multiple stores, with active processing of information in each system
    TCE= coordinates systems by directing attention to particular tasks. Information from LTM, capacity is limited
    PHONO LOOP= vocal information comes from phonological stores known as inner voice. Articulatory process reherses information acting as inner ear
    VISUOSPATIAL SKETCHPAD= concerns our preception of movement and processes visual and spatial information from our senses or LTM
    EPISODIC BUFFER is a general store added years later

ReputationRep:
    can someone outline bowlbys theory that would get 6/6 please for a01

ReputationRep:
    Baddeley and Hitch (1974) proposed that memory is divided into 4 components. The central executive monitors and co-ordinates mental functions in the working memory and can be used for mental arithmetic and problem solving. The phonological loop is divided into the phonological store (inner ear) which holds speech based information and the articulatory process (inner voice) which allows for vocal rehearsal from the store. The Visio-spatial sketch pad is responsible for visual and spatial information. It can be used for navigation and referencing. The episodic buffer gathers information from all these components + LTM and stores it as an 'episode' of your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bowlbys attatchment theory or maternal deprivation hypothesis

I think the best way to get a brief summary would be to refer to a mark scheme...that way you will know exactly what points to include to get full marks without you waffling on or leanring bags of informtion.

Good luck and all the best.
    If you dint mind me aksing, what exam board do you study

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you a plan you can follow:

John Bowlby (1958)
    - Evolutionary perspective/theory
    - Attachment, specifically care giving, is adaptive (has survival value) and is innate (inborn)
    - Therefore, evolved because of survival and reproductive value.
    - Critical period: biological systems take place most easily and quickly, second quarter of a childs year but can continue after this too i.e. the sensitive period.
    - After sensitive period, attachment becomes difficult/impossible to form - child can suffer long term consequences due to maternal deprivation
    - Infant produces social releasers e.g. smiling or crying - stimulates care giving from care giver (monotropic figure)
    - MF refers to bias towards one individual (usually mother, the primary attachment)
    - Infants can form further attachments to form a hierarchy of how sensitively the people respond to their needs. hierarchy of people include: father, grandparents etc
    - There's also a secure base , baby can explore but if threatened, returns to the mother (secure base). so attachment encourages independence
    - depending on attachment type e.g. secure or inconsistent, trustworthy etc it can give expectations about future relationships which is the internal working model
    - Links to continuity hypothesis - if infant has secure attachment with caregiver, they grow up more emotionally and socially competent than infants with insecure attachments

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.