why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's? Watch

realcloud
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
I call bull**** on your grades..

You were asking about getting into IB from the likes of Sheffield Hallam and Northumbria a few months ago. Don't try to make up **** to prove your point, if you actually had those grades you would be going to much better institutions.

Lying *******.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually share my account with my brother

Posted from TSR Mobile
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by realcloud)
I actually share my account with my brother

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure,

Posted from TSR Mobile
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
3A*s and D*D*D* which gives me 800+ ucas points minimum. You're jealous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would I be jealous when I got in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
3A*s and D*D*D* which gives me 800+ ucas points minimum. You're jealous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw they dont care about UCAS points. Even though u havent got 800+. They care about how you think and top marks (95+) your relevant subjects. You obviously can't think with as your an extremely bad liar. You lack common sense if you say Cambridge and Oxford are overrated

Posted from TSR Mobile
realcloud
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by physicsmaths)
Why would I be jealous when I got in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You must be butthurt that I'm telling you the truth about Oxford and Cambridge that is why you're angry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You must be butthurt that I'm telling you the truth about Oxford and Cambridge that is why you're angry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol whatever floats your boat mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gijops
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The assessment on BTECs is harder to flop than A-levels because it's a lot of coursework as opposed to exams which, in the eyes of higher education institutions see as a better demonstration of one's ability.
Fydwraig
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did a BTEC in health and social care level 3, I'm now into my second year of a midwifery degree at a russell group university.
I also did a level previous and I feel a levels only test what you can Remeber on that day where as BTEC encourages you to evaluate and analyse the information you learn
FahzB
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To answer the original question.
I have studied and are studying both A-Levels and Extended BTEC Level 3 and I can provide you with my own experience which will answer
'Why do A-Level students look down on BTEC's?':
I am predicted Bs and DDD. Unlike my 2 years from studying A-levels, I have not learned a single thing from the BTEC, other than information which would be regarded as common sense. The specification of the BTEC does not stimulate me nor do I have an interest in it whatsoever, I'm merely studying it for extra UCAS points also I've noticed that BTEC teacher assess a student's work based on their quality of writing especially since the work essentially consist of regurgitated information and since at least 90% of the BTEC students (I've met) are students who have not acquired a C in Maths or English, they would obviously struggle with writing a 'decent' piece of coursework.
Yanyul
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with BTEC.

For all these years, I always think people who good at coursework will take BTEC courses while people who good at exams will take A-Level courses.

But hey, everyone is different. Some people may prefer BTEC courses, some people may not.
So I don't see why some people want to bully or look down on BTEC -_-?
abbalarr95
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've done a levels and BTECs and the teachers I had for my a levels made fun of btec students and it was only because if them that their students started making fun of btec students. Was quite sad really..:rolleyes:
Sandra1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FahzB)
To answer the original question.
I have studied and are studying both A-Levels and Extended BTEC Level 3 and I can provide you with my own experience which will answer
'Why do A-Level students look down on BTEC's?':
I am predicted Bs and DDD. Unlike my 2 years from studying A-levels, I have not learned a single thing from the BTEC, other than information which would be regarded as common sense. The specification of the BTEC does not stimulate me nor do I have an interest in it whatsoever, I'm merely studying it for extra UCAS points also I've noticed that BTEC teacher assess a student's work based on their quality of writing especially since the work essentially consist of regurgitated information and since at least 90% of the BTEC students (I've met) are students who have not acquired a C in Maths or English, they would obviously struggle with writing a 'decent' piece of coursework.
What btec did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zenarthra
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ryanx623)
Just wondering why people seem to think A-Levels are superior?

I'm on a Level 3 Extended for EEE Engineering, backed up with a A-level in Maths, planning on going to University of Southampton for EEE...

Just to be clear, I have nothing against A-Levels.. What's your opinion on the whole A-Level > BTEC thing?
A levels teach you to think logically and very quickly. In BTEC there is not thinking whatsoever.
SO its not a surprise really that A Level students are more superior. You think you're able until you do alevels.
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zenarthra)
A levels teach you to think logically and very quickly. In BTEC there is not thinking whatsoever.
SO its not a surprise really that A Level students are more superior. You think you're able until you do alevels.
"More superior."
XxSophie01xX
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because BTECH's are not academic, yet students are told that 1 BTECH equals 3 A-levels or whatever, which is just ridiculous and annoying to those who do A-levels and experience actual HARD WORK.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zenarthra)
So are you saying that on my computing BTEC I was able to write hundreds of lines of code and produce algorithms without being able to think logically??
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by XxSophie01xX)
Because BTECH's are not academic, yet students are told that 1 BTECH equals 3 A-levels or whatever, which is just ridiculous and annoying to those who do A-levels and experience actual HARD WORK.
Standard 3 A levels = up to 18 exams/coursework pieces (6 each)
1 BTEC Extended Diploma = 18 units

Its the same amount of work covered in the same depth, try taking Computing A level and BTEC Computing you'll quickly see that they are same except the BTEC covers a lot more
Sandra1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't understand why people always look down on btecs come on!! They dont look down on Access course (normally a one year course for people who dont have their gcse English and maths and are mature)or apprentiships?Anyways all of these courses like these should be praised because of the different ways of learning and the different work experience you can get...And of course at the end you can get a qualification and do what you want with it!! Work...higher education...

Employeers/admission tutors want people with variety of qualifications and experience...so it is a good idea to have a mixture of some of these qualifications(a level..btec..ect ect)
BioStudentx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sandra1)
I don't understand why people always look down on btecs come on!! They dont look down on Access course (normally a one year course for people who dont have their gcse English and maths and are mature)or apprentiships?Anyways all of these courses like these should be praised because of the different ways of learning and the different work experience you can get...And of course at the end you can get a qualification and do what you want with it!! Work...higher education...

Employeers/admission tutors want people with variety of qualifications and experience...so it is a good idea to have a mixture of some of these qualifications(a level..btec..ect ect)
I look down on Access courses, BTEC courses and "apprentiships". Do you feel better now?
Sandra1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
Standard 3 A levels = up to 18 exams/coursework pieces (6 each)
1 BTEC Extended Diploma = 18 units

Its the same amount of work covered in the same depth, try taking Computing A level and BTEC Computing you'll quickly see that they are same except the BTEC covers a lot more
Just to add on normally one unit has four assignments in total soo for one btec its 72 assignments!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads