Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed Cardiff University for Architecture, from London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afern)
    I'm applying for history and I'm currently living in the US (my family's from London though!)
    I'm doing history too! As a combined with religious studies. Have you decided on Cardiff as a firm choice?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am going to Cardiff Uni as postgraduate student in MSc Food, Space, and Society! From Indonesia

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I firmed Cardiff for Social Analytics & Politics a while back but might be switching to Journalism, Media & Sociology. Anyone else doing that course?

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed Cardiff for Mental Health Nursing, from Blackburn, Lancashire!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shotsboy123)
    Just firmed Cardiff for Mental Health Nursing, from Blackburn, Lancashire!
    Hi! I'm from Haslingden and I've got an offer for ODP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Hi

I firmed Cardiff for Social Analytics & Politics a while back but might be switching to Journalism, Media & Sociology. Anyone else doing that course?
    Hi I firmed for Media, Journalism and Culture. Seems like we'll have a few modules in common

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbrizio1)
    Hi I firmed for Media, Journalism and Culture. Seems like we'll have a few modules in common

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yay Nice to finally 'meet' someone taking a similar course! That is, if they let me change, I haven't heard back yet

ReputationRep:
    Yay Nice to finally 'meet' someone taking a similar course! That is, if they let me change, I haven't heard back yet
    Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you then! I have a conditional for AAB, which is very hard to get where I study because teachers are strict as hell and I'm starting to think I will fail :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you then! I have a conditional for AAB, which is very hard to get where I study because teachers are strict as hell and I'm starting to think I will fail :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AAB? It says on the website the typical offer is ABB... I hope they don't try and higher them if they let me switch course!

I'm sure you won't fail, although I think that I'm going to as well... I've completely lost all motivation. What subjects are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    AAB? It says on the website the typical offer is ABB... I hope they don't try and higher them if they let me switch course!

I'm sure you won't fail, although I think that I'm going to as well... I've completely lost all motivation. What subjects are you doing?
    Don't worry. In my case the grades I have to get are higher because I'm from Italy. Here final exams are structured differently and I think in the UK no one has ever fully understood how difficult it is to get a decent grade in Italy. First off, you don't chose the subjects. You have to prepare them all for the exam, except for one, which can be alternatively science or art, depending on what your school decides. Exams usually last about 2 weeks (the last week of June and the first week of July). The first part is an essay: the topic is chosen by the government and it's the same in the whole country. The second part refers to a specific subject you have studied depending on which school you attended. Every school has a couple of specific subject. For example, mine are classical languages, so in the second part of the exam I will be requested to translate an extract from ancient greek or latin to italian. This year it will be from ancient greek, since last year it was from latin. The third part is the trickiest: you have to write 4 different essays about 4 different random subject and random topics chosen by teachers, which means you have to remember every single thing you've studied during the school year because you never know what you'll be asked, and it's crazy. The last part is an oral test. You have to prepare a dissertation about a topic that is of particular interest to you and then you have 10 mins to discuss it. Since it's impossible to take every single subject into consideration, you will be asked random questions about those subjects you haven't included in your dissertation, so again you have to remember a lot of things. So basically the subjects I'm taking are italian, english, history, philosophy, maths, physics, ancient greek literature, latin literature, science, and probably some other subject I can't recall right now ahah.
    So don't worry about grades, I think it will be fine!
    Sorry for the long reply, I just wanted to make you understand why I'm so worried also, sorry for my awful English, but as you can imagine, writing in English when Italian is being spoken around you all the time isn't easy at all

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. In my case the grades I have to get are higher because I'm from Italy. Here final exams are structured differently and I think in the UK no one has ever fully understood how difficult it is to get a decent grade in Italy. First off, you don't chose the subjects. You have to prepare them all for the exam, except for one, which can be alternatively science or art, depending on what your school decides. Exams usually last about 2 weeks (the last week of June and the first week of July). The first part is an essay: the topic is chosen by the government and it's the same in the whole country. The second part refers to a specific subject you have studied depending on which school you attended. Every school has a couple of specific subject. For example, mine are classical languages, so in the second part of the exam I will be requested to translate an extract from ancient greek or latin to italian. This year it will be from ancient greek, since last year it was from latin. The third part is the trickiest: you have to write 4 different essays about 4 different random subject and random topics chosen by teachers, which means you have to remember every single thing you've studied during the school year because you never know what you'll be asked, and it's crazy. The last part is an oral test. You have to prepare a dissertation about a topic that is of particular interest to you and then you have 10 mins to discuss it. Since it's impossible to take every single subject into consideration, you will be asked random questions about those subjects you haven't included in your dissertation, so again you have to remember a lot of things. So basically the subjects I'm taking are italian, english, history, philosophy, maths, physics, ancient greek literature, latin literature, science, and probably some other subject I can't recall right now ahah.
    So don't worry about grades, I think it will be fine!
    Sorry for the long reply, I just wanted to make you understand why I'm so worried also, sorry for my awful English, but as you can imagine, writing in English when Italian is being spoken around you all the time isn't easy at all
    Argh that sounds horrific, no wonder you're worried... I'm only taking Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies and I'm panicking enough! Your English is great for someone who doesn't live in an English-speaking country, I don't think I'd ever be able to speak another language that well.

Best of luck, and I might see you around Cardiff hehe

ReputationRep:
    Argh that sounds horrific, no wonder you're worried... I'm only taking Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies and I'm panicking enough! Your English is great for someone who doesn't live in an English-speaking country, I don't think I'd ever be able to speak another language that well.

Best of luck, and I might see you around Cardiff hehe
    Wow, amazing subjects!
    Awww thank you! That's so sweet of you to say! 😘. Good luck to you too, see you in Cardiff hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Braith)
    Hi! I'm from Haslingden and I've got an offer for ODP!
    Really? That's ace! Someone who'll be close from home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapitalC)
    Maybe applying for Physics, from London.
    Did you apply for physics? I have an unconditional offer for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyjacked)
    Nope,I haven't firmed anything yet, only just got all my offers in. I think it will be my insurance.
    This is possibly due to lack of applicants. I mean i got unconditional offer for physics at cardiff. now this was my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, it doesn't seem very popular. Most of the students there seemed to have got in via clearing. Not sure whether to have Liverpool or Cardiff as my insurance.

(Original post by Midgeymoo17)
    This is possibly due to lack of applicants. I mean i got unconditional offer for physics at cardiff. now this was my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I have a conditional offer for Physics AAB which I've firmed, but I haven't found anyone yet who's actually firmed Cardiff. Worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyjacked)
    yeh, it doesn't seem very popular. Most of the students there seemed to have got in via clearing. Not sure whether to have Liverpool or Cardiff as my insurance.
    As I said in my post above nationally there is a higher supply of physics places than there is demand that does basically mean a lot get in via clearing. last year 8 russell group unis had places for physics through clearing- i think its likely to be the same this year.

liverpool vs cardiff thing- personally i much preferred cardiff and found the academics more encouraging and students to be happier, however this said i liked both enough to put them on my Lucas form and the offers were identical.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did, Mphys with a placement and congrats! Bsc or Mphys? However, I'm not sure if I'm going to firm it and my offer is a bit high for my insurance soo.. yeah.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 30, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.