Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theocider)
    But surely understanding space and what makes great architecture is so much more important than learning technicalities that can be picked up in Part 2 or in placements?
    yeah I guess you are right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by larra7)
    Thank you all verrrry much! Yes, I think it will be my firm with Bath being the insurance (as a EU applicant, the conditions are quite high and... interesting, so to say). The college is Sidney Sussex and it was a direct application (not pooled).
    I have one more UCAS choice left, what do you think I shoold choose? I have Cambridge, Bath, UCL and Manchester.

I am not really familiar with this Firm/Insurance thing, but what would you choose in my place? I am quite confused. I would really appreciate some advice.
    The firm is the university that you would most prefer to go to.
    The insurance is the university that you'd like to go to with lower grade boundaries so that in the event of not receiving the required grades for your firm, you can get into there.

Unless the Cambridge offer is A*A*A or above (equivalent); then I would probably recommend not choosing bath as your insurance, as if you were to not get the grades of A*AA for Cambridge, then you wouldn't get into the insurance as Bath's requirements are also A*AA...

If you're more than happy with a firm and insurance choice then there is no need for you to apply to another university - which from the selection of offers you've been given, I would see no sense in doing.

Out of interest what were your offers for your currant 4 offers?
    Could you please, perhaps share your interview experience at UCL with me? - I have an interview there in about a month and want to know what to expect...
    Also how much work did you bring in your portfolio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by larra7)
    Thank you all verrrry much! Yes, I think it will be my firm with Bath being the insurance (as a EU applicant, the conditions are quite high and... interesting, so to say). The college is Sidney Sussex and it was a direct application (not pooled).
    I have one more UCAS choice left, what do you think I shoold choose? I have Cambridge, Bath, UCL and Manchester.

I am not really familiar with this Firm/Insurance thing, but what would you choose in my place? I am quite confused. I would really appreciate some advice.
    Don't waste time applying for another u. Cam for firm and Bath for insurance. It is a a great privilege to be offered Cam - do treasure and TYB to meet their conditions!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure tbat Bath is insurance, if looking for A*AA, but presumably Larra isn't doing A-levels? Hard to give advice without knowing the offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewinelake)
    Not sure tbat Bath is insurance, if looking for A*AA, but presumably Larra isn't doing A-levels? Hard to give advice without knowing the offers!
    That is the reason I said "...interesting". Bath asked for 9.5 overall with 10 and 9.5 (2 subjects), while Cam asked for 9.5 with two 9.8. I think they do not fully understand our system, as 9.8 would mean no mistake (for one mistake I instantly lose 0,3) ...they could have simply asked for 10. They are obviously very high conditions, but I hope it will be okay. Well, these are the disadvantages of being international...

ReputationRep:
    Confusing!! What other offers do you have?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys? anyone here applied to Newcastle and Nottingham? Newcastle asked me a 10 pics portfolio while Nottingham just sent a thanks for applying e-mail where they stated they would make their decision within a month and if they would need more infos they would just mail me? has anyone get an interview at Nottingham or knows further details about their application process?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys did you have to produce any writing alongside the Bartlett task... Sort of to explain your concepts? Can't find anything on this on the email sent to me or on the Bartlett site ... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francescopsq97)
    Hey guys? anyone here applied to Newcastle and Nottingham? Newcastle asked me a 10 pics portfolio while Nottingham just sent a thanks for applying e-mail where they stated they would make their decision within a month and if they would need more infos they would just mail me? has anyone get an interview at Nottingham or knows further details about their application process?
    I have sent my portfolio last monday and haven't heard anything from them yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archincent)
    I have sent my portfolio last monday and haven't heard anything from them yet.

did you send it to NC or Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    did you send it to NC or Nottingham?
    I sent it to Newcastle. I hope I'll receive their decision next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archincent)
    I sent it to Newcastle. I hope I'll receive their decision next week.
    good luck! I'm sending mine off this week! where else did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nairline)
    Hey guys did you have to produce any writing alongside the Bartlett task... Sort of to explain your concepts? Can't find anything on this on the email sent to me or on the Bartlett site ... :/
    it s up to u. i personally included another piece of paper saying my name, UCAS ID and a short description of my work, about two sentences.

ReputationRep:
    People!
    There was no CAE box to enter my English exam score in the UCAS application procedure (only IELTS and other 2 things) and I didn't write about it in my personal statement. Applied on the 4th of January- Oxford Brookes, GSoA and UCL asked for portfolio/task to be sent but heard nothing from Kent and Sheffield. I'm concerned now as I think they might not consider me because I haven't told them about my English skills. Should I write them an email or I should wait to see if they are interested first? I don't want to face a rejection because of a silly misunderstanding..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galanacci)
    I didnt have a clue also but i believwd in myself and my gut feeling of creating a story that shows progression; visually through my drawing techniques and the actual story that i made up. Make sure your task stands out and i did that by cutting the A4 paper and sticking it on another A4 to give depth and just to stand out really. But im not sure if you can use coloured paper nor coloured pens or pencils. So i suggest stick to black and white.

And i got an interview by doing so, hopefully i helped 😂
    Thank you so much, my friend!
    Best of luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nairline)
    nope I didn't, if there was anything they wanted to ask you about it they'd have the opportunity to ask you at interview! I think they're looking for images that tell a story on their own, at their open day in the summer they spoke a lot about story telling so I kind of feel like the task is tied to that idea x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzdevzz)
    my advice to you is. Be unique but don't risk it. my task was let's say 70% imaginary. I only used a black byro pen and really the purpose of it was for my style. Think about the task, it wanted 3 x 5 minute drawings. Most used pencil which is fine for what they wanted as their main 'purpose'. I used byro because I thought it would look really nice in 5 minute sketches all rough and 'sketchy'.

In terms of materials, they said they wanted only pen / black ink and/or pencils. Im not sure if people used both pencil and pen but mine was strictly byro. They said they wanted it on a clean white paper so i don't think colour pages are allowed.

Can you write on the pages? I used a little bit of typography on the drawings them selves so it fit in with the artwork. Around 3-4 words per piece that was actually incorporated in the work. I myself, and a few others that I know sent a 7th page. It stated my UCAS Number - name etc. and then let's say a small paragraph explaining my ideas. Not something as big as half a page or small as one sentence. But something short and sweet so they can understand your piece a bit more when they read that. I think this could be a make / break situation. Since my idea was very 'abstract' and related more to me than than my surrounding + architecture. However when i writ that small paragraph, it gave it a huge sense of belonging.

"The whole of the space" is something you must think about. I used my 'mind' as the whole of my space, like I drew parts of imaginary places / moods I was in, and i stated that in the small paragraph. My idea was more imaginary and "conceptual" rather than the detailed "physical". This is something I think is really important to have. Know what your main idea / purpose is and find different ways to explore that. This task is meant to be natural and get you involved as it's basically a storyboard about YOU. I drew my mind in a storyboard, whilst when i was at a westminister interview. Someone drew the daily routine from the perspective of the bike, and how his bike was always in the big picture. But there was so many things going on. I found this idea really interesting and unique and it's not something people would normally do. It also contributed to the "whole of the space" in such a simple yet effective way. His main idea was the perspective from his bike. And it inspired his whole storyboard and it turned out amazing,

Best of luck for you, I wish i could show you mine but I don't feel comfortable sending it around on the studentroom since 1) I had to work for it myself 2) I don't want a lot of tasks inspired by mine where they all turn similar.

Let me know how it goes
    You're too kind! Thank you so very much!
    I'm now preparing my drawings... So stressful and yet exciting! The ideas you presented were indeed great! Hope I'll be able to come up with something they'll find interesting too!
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else heard back from UCL I got an offer from there at the start of December and I'm so nervous about making friends at uni so I'd really love to join an architecture offer holders facebook group or something but I can't seem to find any people who have heard back from there!! Or maybe everyone else isn't as nervous about making friends on the course as I am so a facebook group isn't a necessity.....

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from Newcastle two weeks after submitting my portfolio, and Nottingham asked for a portfolio nearly 6 weeks after I sent off my UCAS. I was worried so I rang Notts. to ask if I'd missed something, then got the portfolio request email about 2 hours later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mh10)
    Has anyone else heard back from UCL I got an offer from there at the start of December and I'm so nervous about making friends at uni so I'd really love to join an architecture offer holders facebook group or something but I can't seem to find any people who have heard back from there!! Or maybe everyone else isn't as nervous about making friends on the course as I am so a facebook group isn't a necessity.....
    Go for it, I'm defo heading there next year so it would be nice to know others who are also going - if you do make one, link it to TSR,

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 4, 2017

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.