Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ask the TSR Government - 22nd Parliament watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    What demonstrable influence have the Liberals exerted on government policy?
    Well, they are mostly voting robots to get through labour policy so I guess there's that
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They stopped me from further increasing the benifit cap, (I would have liked to remove it altogether actually), they stopped me from increasing corporation tax, they stopped me from increasing Capital Gains Tax to RL levels, they stopped me from getting rid of our nukes... It's quite a long list actually.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot, this is seen not only in parts of the budget, such as benefit caps being how low they are, and with things such as the three child child benefit cap. Their influence will also be seen a lot in future SoIs
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Well, they are mostly voting robots to get through labour policy so I guess there's that
    I wish...

See above

ReputationRep:
    Well you can be confident that the new TSR national liberal party backs trident and doesn't think protecting our nation is a bad thing or something to be ashamed of.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    Well you can be confident that the new TSR national liberal party backs trident and don't thing protecting our nation is a bad thing or something to be ashamed of.
    Mass surveillance?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    Well you can be confident that the new TSR national liberal party backs trident and don't thing protecting our nation is a bad thing or something to be ashamed of.
    Good to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    They stopped me from further increasing the benifit cap, (I would have liked to remove it altogether actually), they stopped me from increasing corporation tax, they stopped me from increasing Capital Gains Tax to RL levels, they stopped me from getting rid of our nukes... It's quite a long list actually.
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Quite a lot, this is seen not only in parts of the budget, such as benefit caps being how low they are, and with things such as the three child child benefit cap. Their influence will also be seen a lot in future SoIs
    Other than slightly diluting the government's high juice, have they had any positive influence?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Other than slightly diluting the government's high juice, have they had any positive influence?
    Yes, the home sec agreed with me on building 500,000 council properties

ReputationRep:
    Mass surveillance?
    No
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    At a rather meagre rate though with the RL government putting you to shame, and I thought you were supposed to stand up for the poor.

ReputationRep:
    I am referring to policies of their own which you had not previously considered or wanted being included on their insistence

Junior coalition partners usually bring at least a few of their own ideas, as well as acting as a brake on the larger partner
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    At a rather meagre rate though with the RL government putting you to shame, and I thought you were supposed to stand up for the poor.
    500,000 over 5 years.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am referring to policies of their own which you had not previously considered or wanted being included on their insistence

Junior coalition partners usually bring at least a few of their own ideas, as well as acting as a brake on the larger partner
    The Sugar Tax originally came from a Liberal, as well as the Inheritance Tax increase. The De-scaling of Trident was a Liberal proposal and they'll have a lot to say regarding education policy. In terms of the budget, I was most impressed with the Culture secretary's plans (so commendations again Imperion)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    500,000 over 5 years.
    And yet you only budget for 10,000

ReputationRep:
    I am sure many would see what we said they did above was a positive influence. However as I said there is a lot of liberal influence in the SoIs in the work, and mine in particular I would like to think has been a great result of Liberals and Labour members working together and both feeding in significantly to the process
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And yet you only budget for 10,000
    I don't think you know how Government Borrowing works. We borrow £100bn to build 500,000 homes, we then pay it back at current borrowing rates of £2bn per year, with the revenues of the homes being £2.5bn per year, we make a £500m profit from the scheme.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

We got the child benifit cap.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    We got the child benifit cap.
    Not exactly a positive...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Not exactly a positive...
    In your mind...

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.