Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if you have an Ology you are a Scientist....
    Not quite true. Sociology isn't actually a science at all. Technically it's a pseudoscience. Psychology is a 50:50 split of science and pseudoscience, so depending on the field a psychologist works in they're either a scientist or they're not. Scientology is a religion not a science, ufology is a pseudoscience, I could go on and on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Not quite true. Sociology isn't actually a science at all. Technically it's a pseudoscience. Psychology is a 50:50 split of science and pseudoscience, so depending on the field a psychologist works in they're either a scientist or they're not. Scientology is a religion not a science, ufology is a pseudoscience, I could go on and on.
    :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Why would you laugh though?
    Where is an a level in religious studies going to get you in life?

ivybridge specifically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)

ivybridge specifically
    Depends on what you want to do in life..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Depends on what you want to do in life..
    Religious studies a level is a waste of time, no ifs and buts about it.

ReputationRep:
    Economics Graduates are the highest paid according to multiple sites and that is not a STEM subject...

ReputationRep:
    Doing religious studies at A level doesn't limit you to religious studies for the rest of your life. You do know that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    Economics Graduates are the highest paid according to multiple sites and that is not a STEM subject...
    yay! i feel like if you look at it from THE simplest point of view, it is the study of one of the most relevant parts of society (money) and therefore cannot be undermined simply by not being a part of the STEM group.

ReputationRep:
    well obviously the solution to this is to redefine STEM such that it includes economics. magic!

hmm, i wonder if i could recycle this trick and avoid ever being wrong again....

ReputationRep:
    BUT it encourages you to practice critical thinking. far more than critical thinking does, in fact. so IF you're interested in being less wrong, i'd say it's worth doing

ReputationRep:

ivybridge specifically
    tbf other than to uni where do any A-levels get you in life

ReputationRep:
    links or it didnt happen :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    links or it didnt happen :P
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36028368 forgive me but medicine appears to be at the top. THOUGH, economics is right behind and the earning potentials when working in an investment bank e.g are extraordinary and an economics degree could land you that job. OF COURSE OTHER DEGREES CAN too.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36028368 forgive me but medicine appears to be at the top. THOUGH, economics is right behind and the earning potentials when working in an investment bank e.g are extraordinary and an economics degree could land you that job. OF COURSE OTHER DEGREES CAN too.
    yeah I can understand why earns high amounts (most people likely to go into finance related careers with it) which is why I never really understood the stem vs non stem debate, salary varies from subject to subject not just stem and non stem and even within the same subject as people do lots of different things after finishing their degree
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    yeah I can understand why earns high amounts (most people likely to go into finance related careers with it) which is why I never really understood the stem vs non stem debate, salary varies from subject to subject not just stem and non stem and even within the same subject as people do lots of different things after finishing their degree
    Tendency of those undergoing different subjects to go into differing jobs varies, thus average outcome (salary) varies.

T'isn't subject to subject, t'is more about averaging out a combination of people's job/career decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    talking about economics related careers - is HMRC quite a good destination? i was thinking of IB but for me the lifestyle that comes with it is too demanding so i looked up more 'stable' career paths. im talking specifically about hmrc tax professional graduate scheme. anyone know much about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Tendency of those undergoing different subjects to go into differing jobs varies, thus average outcome (salary) varies.

T'isn't subject to subject, t'is more about averaging out a combination of people's job/career decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, I just feel like tsr only values money yet goes on and on about how more mathematical the subject is the higher salary you can achieve with it which just isnt the case (otherwise maths and physics grads would earn alot more than engineers that contrary to popular belief dont do too much maths imo)

I also think tsr, because of the younger age therefore in many cases mindset, think the best careers are the highest paying no matter the job security, hours, amount of moving about etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minjinoor)
    talking about economics related careers - is HMRC quite a good destination? i was thinking of IB but for me the lifestyle that comes with it is too demanding so i looked up more 'stable' career paths. im talking specifically about hmrc tax professional graduate scheme. anyone know much about it?
    Sorry bud its not something I know anything about, have you tried searching for it on prospects.com etc and seeing if they have any case studies on the career?

ReputationRep:
    Considering how quantitative the degree is one can put it as financial maths or a form of applied maths and stats, so basically the M in STEM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolatmaths)
    Considering how quantitative the degree is one can put it as financial maths or a form of applied maths and stats, so basically the M in STEM
    I see your point though Economics is considered an Art and many universities don't offer courses which are as mathematically rigorous as that of Cam, LSE etc.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.