The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

For the sake of myself, everybody who sat that exam and AQA, I sincerely hope those grade boundaries are lowered for a couple of reasons;

•There was too much reading to do in the paper given the time limit in my opinion. Hard or not I usually finish an exam with the upwards of 5mins to spare and I ran out of time today, I did manage to finish though. However I know quite a few didn't manage this.

•They missed out a good chunk of the specification. Absolutely NO questions on the menstrual cycle, cell cloning, vaccination etc...

•I agree with most people who they say the difficulty of this paper compared to past papers was a very large jump. I've been hitting solid A's/A*'s (at the lowest B's) in Biology for a year and a half now and I thought that paper was shocking.

I am really not looking forward to the remaining science exams. I need 5 A*-C to stay in the school I'm in now (something I really really want to do) and I was planning on taking Biology, Chemistry and Performing Arts. If the remaining exams are anything like today's I can wave A-Level science goodbye. :frown:
Original post by habeeb_00
I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol same
Original post by 2016gcses
are you mad

Probably
wasnt the scattergraph answer because they had a lot of data points to plot?
Reply 444
For the sense organ I said eyes is that okay
Original post by Jobayori
My Predictions:
CAP (Full UMS) - 54/60
A* - 49/60
A - 43/60
B - 37/60
C - 30/60
D - 18/60

Sorry but I think you're having a laugh. The other year 39 was an A*, 37 is not going to be a B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by erodedsoul
Sorry but I think you're having a laugh. The other year 39 was an A*, 37 is not going to be a B.

I am genuinely having so many laughs loook __> :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Original post by TurquoiseSkai
For the sake of myself, everybody who sat that exam and AQA, I sincerely hope those grade boundaries are lowered for a couple of reasons;

•There was too much reading to do in the paper given the time limit in my opinion. Hard or not I usually finish an exam with the upwards of 5mins to spare and I ran out of time today, I did manage to finish though. However I know quite a few didn't manage this.

•They missed out a good chunk of the specification. Absolutely NO questions on the menstrual cycle, cell cloning, vaccination etc...

•I agree with most people who they say the difficulty of this paper compared to past papers was a very large jump. I've been hitting solid A's/A*'s (at the lowest B's) in Biology for a year and a half now and I thought that paper was shocking.

I am really not looking forward to the remaining science exams. I need 5 A*-C to stay in the school I'm in now (something I really really want to do) and I was planning on taking Biology, Chemistry and Performing Arts. If the remaining exams are anything like today's I can wave A-Level science goodbye. :frown:

Very agreeable points there! There was too much reading to do i was overwhelmed and was skipping words as i was reading i was that traumatized with the first couple of Q's LOL
Original post by TracyEmu
EXACTLY! THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT. I put rats and maggots. Anyone else did the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i put camel
Is legs a sense organ??
For the scatter graph is it okay to wrote because you can see the distribution changes more clearly
Original post by Hboyce134
Is legs a sense organ??

no
I wouldn't worry, if the grade boundaries aren't lowered then everyone would have done poorly and it's unlikely they won't let anyone do Science A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So can you definitely not have lichens ?? Also for 2) can you just say because it is addictive and for the final question can you have satillites ? Just a random Guess 😂
Original post by LeoZango
I'm pretty sure lichens are animals. That's what I put anyway.

Lichen are plants. I put fish to detect water pollution
So the answer for the final question(s) was not about lichen growing more in places that lacked high concentrations of sulfur dioxide in the air?
I think I've got somewhere in the region of 30-33, what grade you guys thinking? Scraped a B? Damn in so disappointed :frown:
Reply 457
was the GM mosquito question about enzymes cutting the gene out?
Reply 458
Original post by Ahmed74
Yeah, that's slightly incorrect :/

do you think I got a mark for that?
I didn't include working out. I doubt it.
I think I got a B.
Original post by ammara-123
The percentage of people that died from malaria??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 0.66667

Therefore 0.67

Quick Reply