Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    Did you study analysis at least a little bit ? I mean I have that problem of rigour because in my school we study analysis and rigour is our god (if we are to solve a dif equation we should consider continuity differentiability etc so that we get all solutions) and our book is full of proofs ( 3 quarters proofs 1 quarter questions about proofs lol ) so I guess that's why I have that problem .
    I did study very rigorous calculus from a textbook (not finished though, will finish over summer) so that's one of the reasons. But generally I like to be very technically precise as that is what's required in maths as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    For 1,2007 question 7, how did they jump from the second to last line to the last line?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465138258.032365.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  90.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you study analysis at least a little bit ? I mean I have that problem of rigour because in my school we study analysis and rigour is our god (if we are to solve a dif equation we should consider continuity differentiability etc so that we get all solutions) and our book is full of proofs ( 3 quarters proofs 1 quarter questions about proofs lol ) so I guess that's why I have that problem .
    Lots of STEPers have probably looked at some analysis, but it's definitely not on the A-level syllabus. I think most A-level Maths students probably think of formulas for differentiation etc. as magical rules that they can't know the origin of. The nearest my class got to rigour was "well the chain rule isn't quite cancelling dx and du, but we'll pretend it is".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glavien)
    For 1,2007 question 7, how did they jump from the second to last line to the last line?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465138258.032365.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  90.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't read the question but isn't D the length of P1P2 ?
    the length of a vector (a,b,c) is sqrt(a^2+b^2+c^2) ....

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read the question but isn't D the length of P1P2 ?
    the length of a vector (a,b,c) is sqrt(a^2+b^2+c^2) ....
    Yeah but in the picture, how did they jump from the second to last line to the last line?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but in the picture, how did they jump from the second to last line to the last line?
    second to third line : what I said in previous comment
    third to last : algebra ... expand your expression so that you reach the printed result
    where's the problem I don't get it ?

ReputationRep:
    second to third line : what I said in previous comment
    third to last : algebra ... expand your expression so that you reach the printed result
    where's the problem I don't get it ?

For the third to last line how do you factorize once you've expanded out?

ReputationRep:
    For the third to last line how do you factorize once you've expanded out?
    That's printed on the paper , if you want you can expand the result and get the same terms so that you can deduce they are equal .

ReputationRep:
    That's printed on the paper , if you want you can expand the result and get the same terms so that you can deduce they are equal .
    Ohh, thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here done Q8 from III 2014? I feel like that question was so awesome the next step is literally just bending spoons with ur mind.

(Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Has anyone here done Q8 from III 2014? I feel like that question was so awesome the next step is literally just bending spoons with ur mind.
    Did it last question in my mock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Did it last question in my mock.
    nice, same with me. The ideas seemed simple but the last part was satisfying how did ur mock go?

nice, same with me. The ideas seemed simple but the last part was satisfying how did ur mock go?
    Hard to say. I wrote something about it when I did it, can't be bothered looking for it.

BTW Question 10 on that paper. I haven't checked I did it correctly yet, but I loved it.

But I woke up today having lost the ability to do any STEP questions. poor me.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=282
    Not so hard to find.

ReputationRep:
    Hard to say. I wrote something about it when I did it, can't be bothered looking for it.

BTW Question 10 on that paper. I haven't checked I did it correctly yet, but I loved it.

But I woke up today having lost the ability to do any STEP questions. poor me.
    haha. yeah I did q 10 in my mock too, probably one of only mech ones Ive done during one. but yeah it was nice to have an easy to draw situation followed by some standard pure stuff

haha. yeah I did q 10 in my mock too, probably one of only mech ones Ive done during one. but yeah it was nice to have an easy to draw situation followed by some standard pure stuff
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Did the argument from the irrationality of sqrt(3)? I've just checked the mark scheme and it was the way to go. just loved that.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Did the argument from the irrationality of sqrt(3)? I've just checked the mark scheme and it was the way to go. just loved that.
    Oh yea I forgot about that, that was great!

ReputationRep:
    How many marks do you think I would get for establishing the first two inequalities on STEP II 2012 Q9?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    How many marks do you think I would get for establishing the first two inequalities on STEP II 2012 Q9?
    12 or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    12 or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Merci.

Anyone else done II 2012. If so, what did you think about it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.