Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Its just about to pass 2 million...
    Only 15 million to go before it becomes at all relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    That was 67:33 - rather more clear cut.
    Results are results if referendums were to be obligated to use that criteria then we'd never be able to come to any conclusions. The Scottish independence referendum end result wasn't exactly clear cut either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    That's nice sweetie.

ReputationRep:
    A large proportion of the votes are not even from the UK. This petition has been torn to shreds on Reddit. The remain campaign are repeatedly embarrassing themselves to no surprise at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    A large proportion of the votes are not even from the UK. This petition has been torn to shreds on Reddit. The remain campaign are repeatedly embarrassing themselves to no surprise at all.
    They really are disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. I also like that they're whining en masse about the grey Leave vote when turnout for 18-24 year olds was 36%. It's pretty hard to claim that 'we should get to decide, because it's our future!' when a majority of the group in question can't be bothered to go and vote.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. I also like that they're whining en masse about the grey Leave vote when turnout for 18-24 year olds was 36%. It's pretty hard to claim that 'we should get to decide, because it's our future!' when a majority of the group in question can't be bothered to go and vote.
    To the contrary, a lot of the older generation have experienced both life before and after the EU so were unlikely to be undeterred by the fear mongering nonsense spouted by the remain campaign. A lot of older people have wisdom and experience the younger generation do not, yet they continuously try to portray all older voters as the crazy old man down the pub. I think I'll put my future in the hands of those with the experience and wisdom rather than 21 year old self proclaimed know it alls who need to climb down from their own asses.

ReputationRep:
    That's whats funny, 18-24 are the ones complaining and yet they couldn't even be bothered to turn up and vote

ReputationRep:
    To the contrary, a lot of the older generation have experienced both life before and after the EU so were unlikely to be undeterred by the fear mongering nonsense spouted by the remain campaign. A lot of older people have wisdom and experience the younger generation do not, yet they continuously try to portray all older voters as the crazy old man down the pub. I think I'll put my future in the hands of those with the experience and wisdom rather than 21 year old self proclaimed know it alls who need to climb down from their own asses.
    I agree entirely. Frankly I'd make the next referendum an increase in the voting age. I bet you'd still get less than half of 18-24 year olds showing up.

ReputationRep:
    There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
    => https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 1.75 million signatures.
    This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.

86% of signatories are in the UK. The rest are UK citizens living abroad.
    We just reached 2 million signatures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    With 600,000 + votes who don't live in the UK, congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_BCFC)
    Wow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Wait till you see your tears when you realise your mistake.

190bn wiped off of the FTSE in just 12 minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol, the market responds poorly to unpredictability, completely natural and expected. Look, the FTSE over the last week:

And the FTSE over the last year:

You might reason by looking at the actual data that it's not that bad at-all.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Still honestly doubt that this 2nd referendum will actually happen...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    Results are results if referendums were to be obligated to use that criteria then we'd never be able to come to any conclusions. The Scottish independence referendum end result wasn't exactly clear cut either.
    Which is why they were always going to jump at the slightest chance of calling another one.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Source?

If it's based on the JSON then you can't add up, and the JSON is out of date.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be racist/xenophobic pls

Clearly an e-petition from a far smaller proportion of the population than that which actually voted Remain should be enough to overturn the referendum result, and the fact that some of them are 'foreign' is just typical fear of 'the other'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Still honestly doubt that this 2nd referendum will actually happen...
    Yea, I know but I'm just hoping for the best at this point. If it never happens, at least we tried.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It takes a 75% vote for a men-only golf club to allow women members, and 50.01% vote to fundamentally change the sociopolitical and economic destiny of a country.

ReputationRep:
    It takes a 75% vote for a men-only golf club to allow women members, and 50.01% vote to fundamentally change the sociopolitical and economic destiny of a country.
    Given that we were never given a vote on Maastricht or Lisbon, you could quite readily formulate an argument that Remain should require a 75% vote, if we're accepting an inbuilt status-quo bias as proper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.