University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeteM01)
    Very sensible suggestion; some of those streets look very narrow.
    If you're arriving in a helicoptor, make sure you don't land on their grass.
    Porters of many colleges won't like it.
    (Unless you're a fellow of the college)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duskstar)
    Haha well I'm alright - I've been rowing for the last two years but my coach got me in contact with them and I am of a good enough standard to contend I think.

Will do and thanks
    Awesome!
    Which seat now?

If I remember correctly, you're from London area, aren't you?
    So been rowing on the Thames?
    Went to see our daughter rowing for WEHORR a few times. Very different from Cam, in every sense.......

Watched Rio?
    I knew men's four will get gold but watching men's eight winning gold was happiest moment for me in Rio games. Thought the day will never come......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    If you're arriving in a helicoptor, make sure you don't land on their grass.
    Porters of many colleges won't like it.
    (Unless you're a fellow of the college)!

Or if your at homerton

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Or if your at homerton

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll need a helicoptor to go to your lectures in time from Homerton....... I've heard it's somewhere between Cambridge and Colchester.......

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard much from Trinity? I've had emails asking for my GCSE certificates and if family members have studied at the college but nothing about accommodation or the start of term yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW97)
    Has anyone heard much from Trinity? I've had emails asking for my GCSE certificates and if family members have studied at the college but nothing about accommodation or the start of term yet!
    I had an email with a workbook in and one about GCSE certificates

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably get a large envelope in the post maybe start of September, with "welcome to college" type letters, maybe some course info etc.

Accommodation-wise, you'll probably get an email from the accommodation office at the start of September telling you what you've been allocated. You might be able to see slightly sooner than this what your accommodation is if you get your raven account set up sooner, as there's a page on the mytrin intranet about accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    are there societies in cambridge that are not related to a certain activity (aka fraternity/sorority-ish)?
    is there initiation and hazing and that kind of stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomara)
    are there societies in cambridge that are not related to a certain activity (aka fraternity/sorority-ish)?
    ......................trying to figure out whether you're asking seriously or just looking for a laugh.......

ReputationRep:
    Must be some at St Johns.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Amazing! GOOD LUCK for the CUBC trial.

And I think Christ's could do with some good rowers too
    CUBC rowers don't row with their college.
    They're completely separate from college rowing.

....and with the state of Christ's boats in last May Bumps, not sure one good rower (if Duskstar join them, instead of CUBC), not sure if he can save them....................

ReputationRep:
    Well, there might be an initiation ceremony involving a pig's head...

ReputationRep:
    if family members have studied at the college
    Why do they ask that? :eek:

....and with the state of Christ's boats in last May Bumps, not sure one good rower (if Duskstar join them, instead of CUBC), not sure if he can save them....................
    That sounds reassuring to me that I won't be a burden and drag them down too much if I do decide to row for the college lol

ReputationRep:
    CUBC rowers don't row with their college.
    They're completely separate from college rowing.

Our M1 was headship for michaelmas and lent and then just got bumped in easter, they were really gutted lmao.

And yeah blues don't row for their college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Why do they ask that? :eek:

That sounds reassuring to me that I won't be a burden and drag them down too much if I do decide to row for the college lol
    You can be a cox.
    Have a feeling you'll be very good, esp. for men's boat.
    Seriously. Really.

ReputationRep:
    If you need to ask you won't be invited...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can be a cox.
    Have a feeling you'll be very good, esp. for men's boat.
    Seriously. Really.
    Lol what makes you say that? :lol:
    I just read the roles of cox and doesn't sound like what I'd be good at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    Our M1 was headship for michaelmas and lent and then just got bumped in easter, they were really gutted lmao.

And yeah blues don't row for their college.
    Yes, I know!
    We've been following Bumps every seasons (lent and may. Not michaelmath and Easter. )!even after our daughter's left. There's a convenient thing called Cam FM on digital, so been listening live or on podcast all the races (except very lowere boats)

My daughter's colllege's men will never be great in bumps as they're quite good with rugby & football, all the best sporty ones are taken by them......

This year's (I mean 2016) May bumps mens 1st division was totally unpredicted and exciting. Never seen so many bumps in the first div.
    and caius is not the head any more!!!!!!(pity it's Maggie who beat them......)

Better luck for 2017.
    One of the fun of Bumps is that you never know how each college perform each season because of big turnovers of rowers every year.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I know!
    We've been following Bumps every seasons (lent and may. Not michaelmath and Easter. )!even after our daughter's left. There's a convenient thing called Cam FM on digital, so been listening live or on podcast all the races (except very lowere boats)

My daughter's colllege's men will never be great in bumps as they're quite good with rugby & football, all the best sporty ones are taken by them......

This year's (I mean 2016) May bumps mens 1st division was totally unpredicted and exciting. Never seen so many bumps in the first div.
    and caius is not the head any more!!!!!!(pity it's Maggie who beat them......)

Better luck for 2017.
    One of the fun of Bumps is that you never know how each college perform each season because of big turnovers of rowers every year.
    It's actually really infuriating how we're not headship anymore lmao. This year's M1 had I think 3 freshers, so a really good year. And I think a couple of M1 are trying for the blue boat this year, so who knows how next year's 1st division is gonna turn out.

Pissing Maggie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claree)
    You'll probably get a large envelope in the post maybe start of September, with "welcome to college" type letters, maybe some course info etc.

Accommodation-wise, you'll probably get an email from the accommodation office at the start of September telling you what you've been allocated. You might be able to see slightly sooner than this what your accommodation is if you get your raven account set up sooner, as there's a page on the mytrin intranet about accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah okay, thanks! I just thought that we would've been given some information closer to results day than September but I guess that's me being impatient!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.