The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusiK.622)
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread, I'm taking these subjects:
    Biology, chemistry and physics triple award (OCR)
    Music (OCR)
    English language and literature (AQA)
    Maths (edexcel?)
    Geography
    French
    German
    Latin
    Not sure about the exam boards for the last few... My teachers don't tend to tell us these things.
    As for predicted grades, I don't really know. I'd like mostly A*s, definitely in Chemistry, French, Biology and Music. My school did religious studies a year early, and I got an A*. Not looking forward to the English exam though!

I'm thinking of doing Biology, French, Chemistry and possibly Psychology at A level, but I'm not really sure yet.
    Then I'd ideally like to go to Oxford! I might as well aim high I suppose :-) There's a degree called Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics which sounds interesting.

Also, is there anyone here taking Latin? And if so do you know what sort of things are in the exam paper? I've heard that part of it is context about Roman history, but we haven't done any past papers in class so I don't know.
    Hey, I'm Cerian. Welcome to the thread! Congratulations on getting that A* in R.S by the way! Don't worry about the exams, I'm sure you will get those A*s! All of us on this thread support each other, so we believe in you. Don't be afraid to aim high; go for it! I wish you all the best for the upcoming year.

I'm the same for English. I'm doing a completely different exam board to you (WJEC) but i'm just wondering how you're finding the new spec. Can't say I'm doing Latin I'm afraid, but I wish you luck for Latin and all your other subjects.

When do you start school, out of curiosity? I start tomorrow. Good luck for Year 11; I wish the best for tue upcoming year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Music (OCR)
    Maths (edexcel?)
    Geography
    French
    German
    Latin
    Not sure about the exam boards for the last few... My teachers don't tend to tell us these things.
    As for predicted grades, I don't really know. I'd like mostly A*s, definitely in Chemistry, French, Biology and Music. My school did religious studies a year early, and I got an A*. Not looking forward to the English exam though!

I'm thinking of doing Biology, French, Chemistry and possibly Psychology at A level, but I'm not really sure yet.
    Then I'd ideally like to go to Oxford! I might as well aim high I suppose :-) There's a degree called Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics which sounds interesting.

Also, is there anyone here taking Latin? And if so do you know what sort of things are in the exam paper? I've heard that part of it is context about Roman history, but we haven't done any past papers in class so I don't know.
    I know this account panda_bae does GCSE Latin, try and see if you can message them for help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hello, my name is hannah Robinson. I am going into year eleven tomorrow, but, I am not taking any new GCSEs, woo! my GCSEs are all the old IGCSEs! thank goodness! it's lovely to meet you all and i will be on this thread often!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?Hannah)
    hello, my name is hannah Robinson. I am going into year eleven tomorrow, but, I am not taking any new GCSEs, woo! my GCSEs are all the old IGCSEs! thank goodness! it's lovely to meet you all and i will be on this thread often!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello Hannah, welcome to the thread! I go into Year 11 today too. I can't wait to see my friends after six long weeks. Of course, I enjoyed the summer holidays, but I guess now it's time for me to knuckle down and work hard. Well, my brain has had quite a lengthy rest so I'm prepared to use it and make more of an effort.

I wish you all the best for school today. Good luck in Year 11. Have fun on your first day back!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi quite late to this thread but anyway, my name's Kawsar and I'm doing English Language, English Literature, Maths, Triple Science, History, R.E, and Arabic. I managed to get an A* in core science
    in year 10 and quite looking forward to Year 11 since it's the last year and after that college. For A levels I really want to do Maths, Electronics and Computing. (I'm kind of a tech nerd).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatNerd)
    Hi quite late to this thread but anyway, my name's Kawsar and I'm doing English Language, English Literature, Maths, Triple Science, History, R.E, and Arabic. I managed to get an A* in core science in year 10 and quite looking forward to Year 11 since it's the last year and after that college. For A levels I really want to do Maths, Electronics and Computing. (I'm kind of a tech nerd).
    Hi Kawsar, welcome to the thread, don't worry I'm relatively new to it as well, I was just wondering what your exam boards are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)
    Hi Kawsar, welcome to the thread, don't worry I'm relatively new to it as well, I was just wondering what your exam boards are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just realised I forgot to add ICT to the list of GCSE's I'm doing. Everything Edexcel except ICT which is AQA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatNerd)
    Hi quite late to this thread but anyway, my name's Kawsar and I'm doing English Language, English Literature, Maths, Triple Science, History, R.E, and Arabic. I managed to get an A* in core science
    in year 10 and quite looking forward to Year 11 since it's the last year and after that college. For A levels I really want to do Maths, Electronics and Computing. (I'm kind of a tech nerd).
    Hello Kawsar! Well done on that A* in core science! It definitely provides a decent foundation to do well in your GCSEs. I wish you good luck! Out of interest, what are you planning to do in the future? (ie. career/degree-wise)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Some Person)
    Hey, I'm Cerian. Welcome to the thread! Congratulations on getting that A* in R.S by the way! Don't worry about the exams, I'm sure you will get those A*s! All of us on this thread support each other, so we believe in you. Don't be afraid to aim high; go for it! I wish you all the best for the upcoming year.

I'm the same for English. I'm doing a completely different exam board to you (WJEC) but i'm just wondering how you're finding the new spec. Can't say I'm doing Latin I'm afraid, but I wish you luck for Latin and all your other subjects.

When do you start school, out of curiosity? I start tomorrow. Good luck for Year 11; I wish the best for tue upcoming year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, good luck to you too!
    I just started school today. Already stressed out by how much work I'll be doing this year!
    We did some diagnostic tests last term for the new spec maths and English, I'll post them on this thread when I get the results.
    How about you, when do you go back to school?

(Original post by Simonexoxo)
    I know this account panda_bae does GCSE Latin, try and see if you can message them for help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I'll try messaging them!

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to consider psychology A Level but I'm not sure how much of it is science based, does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    Psychology isn't as respected as science a levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    I'm starting to consider psychology A Level but I'm not sure how much of it is science based, does anyone know?
    I also considered Psychology A Level before, because I was interested of perhaps doing psychology later on. However, I highly recommend Chemistry (or if you're already doing that, try biology) because to do psychology later on if you'd like to, chemistry is often the required A level.

From what I've heard it is very maths based, but don't take my words to heart - try perhaps asking someone doing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Psychology isn't as respected as science a levels
    I don't care about that... I don't want to do anything related to science/ maths at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseynh)
    I also considered Psychology A Level before, because I was interested of perhaps doing psychology later on. However, I highly recommend Chemistry (or if you're already doing that, try biology) because to do psychology later on if you'd like to, chemistry is often the required A level.

From what I've heard it is very maths based, but don't take my words to heart - try perhaps asking someone doing it
    Thank you! I'm really interested in the social theories that come with psychology more than the biological side of things so I'm not sure how well I'd be suited to the course, although I do suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to study some science/maths based theory.
    At the same time, I've been quite adamant on being essay subjects rather than science/maths so if that is the case then I don't know whether psychology is for me.

ReputationRep:
    Music (OCR)
    Maths (edexcel?)
    Geography
    French
    German
    Latin

Hi, I'm taking Latin! In the second year, tho, and the board I'm with is CIE; I think you may be taking OCR or something, because CIE specifically doesn't have too much on history, so I'm afraid I can't help you out, there! None the less, feliciter!

I'm doing maths (Edexcel) this year, although I finished the book over summer, so if there's any way in which I could help...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Hello Kawsar! Well done on that A* in core science! It definitely provides a decent foundation to do well in your GCSEs. I wish you good luck! Out of interest, what are you planning to do in the future? (ie. career/degree-wise)
    Thanks I plan to do computer science at university and hopefully after that become a programmer for one of the major tech companies like Apple, Google or Microsoft. However, I've dreamt of creating my own tech company one day as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone...
    I've not really said anything,but as I'm about to go into year 11, starting in like 2 days, I thought I might finally, after lurking around for a while, come in and say hi o/

Taking the new English language, literature and maths, Triple Science, Computing, Spanish(which I feel I'm a bit shaky with), Geography(which I kinda regret ) along with being forced to take RE .

I'm both quite excited, but worried at the same time because I want to do really well, the expectations of me feel really high (A and A* targets), but I can't bring myself to revise because I think I already know stuff, while in reality I don't know it as well as I could and should , as well as getting really distracted and playing video games etc, which'll get me nowhere

So yeah, I'll try to stick around

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, good luck to you too!
    I just started school today. Already stressed out by how much work I'll be doing this year!
    We did some diagnostic tests last term for the new spec maths and English, I'll post them on this thread when I get the results.
    How about you, when do you go back to school?

Thanks, I'll try messaging them!
    I want back today, actually. Not really fussed on the changes they've made at our school; our new tutor groups are our Maths sets and we have to do Maths three times a week in tutorial to prepare for our Numeracy exams in November. WJEC has a new spec for Maths and Numeray, and apparently, our papers are really difficult!

Hope you had a good first day back. Asides from the changes, mine was okay. I survived after all, so I know I can pull through until June. Good luck for all your exams this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I just wanted to say for those who are back at school already, how are you feeling about you're new timetable (if you haven't received it before Summer break) and how are you feeling. Feel free to share your feeling and vent out on here. #WeAreInItTogether #Determined

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post67341264 - Check out my latest blog post, explains how I'm feeling atm.

Anyways, I hope everyone is all well and good.

- JTran38

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Hi. I just wanted to say for those who are back at school already, how are you feeling about you're new timetable (if you haven't received it before Summer break) and how are you feeling. Feel free to share your feeling and vent out on here. #WeAreInItTogether #Determined

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post67341264 - Check out my latest blog post, explains how I'm feeling atm.

Anyways, I hope everyone is all well and good.

- JTran38
    Cant complain about my timetable. I have 8 periods a day so generally you always have a mix of good and bad subjects everyday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.