Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    If it makes you feel better I have got 3 assignments due first week of January.

It can be done. If you didn't quit the course yet( it's already Xmas) then you have what it takes to finish the course.

Good luck
    Thanks, I guess I was just panicking I did a bit of work before and didn't take me too long so think I might be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    On my course you could still obtain QTS whilst failing the academic side of the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did that mean you didn't get tge the pgce? So on your cv you couldn't write pgce secondary qts etc etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itstough)
    I'm nearing my first placement, I will pass with a satisfactory (3) grade. Others on their placements do you have your own Sims or equivalent login? I never got given one, so access to student data/putting sanctions on/contacting parents etc I had to always ask other teachers to do things for me and I felt it inhibited my overall effectiveness. In addition, if the host teacher was late for me to do the register I had to wait for them to come and log onto the computer for me.

For my second placement I will insist on being given full access so that I can see all student data, see what actions other teachers have put in place for students, I can be more proactive then.
    I also haven't been given SIMS logins, which would have been really useful. I asked my mentor about it and was told it would be too comlex to switch everything over...

(Original post by Airfairy)
    Ugh. Got an essay back today and failed it. It didn't count so it's not the end of work though. Just annoying more than anything!

Does anyone know what happens if you fail an assignment that does count towards the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At my university you will just keep redoing it until you pass. Some universities give you a PgCE (Professional Grade Certificate of Education) instead of a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education), though - you'd still have QTS etc. but no masters credits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Did that mean you didn't get tge the pgce? So on your cv you couldn't write pgce secondary qts etc etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by tory88)
    I also haven't been given SIMS logins, which would have been really useful. I asked my mentor about it and was told it would be too comlex to switch everything over...

At my university you will just keep redoing it until you pass. Some universities give you a PgCE (Professional Grade Certificate of Education) instead of a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education), though - you'd still have QTS etc. but no masters credits.

This. At my uni you do 'viva's, basically an interview where you have to answer questions to show that you can meet the bits which weren't shown in the essay and caused you to fail. So if you didn't show enough subject knowledge they'd ask you to explain some concepts, if you didn't show enough reflection they'd ask you to reflect then and there.

ReputationRep:
    My second placement school cancelled! I have no school! Slightly panicking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)

I'm pretty sure this was the case with mine too. Don't know a huge deal about it though as it wasn't relevant to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camcam88)
    My second placement school cancelled! I have no school! Slightly panicking.
    This happens frequently. Leave it to your provider to sort out.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe that's 12 weeks of teaching gone!!!!! I loved my school I was in and cried when I left on Friday, I got thank you cards of kids and some kids begging me to stay!!! Makes it all worth it in the end . I'm nervous about my next school as it's the opposite of my first school, behaviour being one of the opposites! But it's all a challenge in my eyes. Now for 14 days of doing NOTHING but time with my own babies!!!

ReputationRep:
    So glad to have broken up but I now have 2 weeks of call centre work before being thrown into my next placement. Kinda nervous but definitely looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm on a training route that is half schools direct and half assessment only (it's the first of its kind and really unusual). However, in terms of my role, it's like a salaried schools direct I suppose. My school made a place for me after I had done some volunteering there.

My query is a bit complicated...

At the moment, I'm finding that teaching takes up less of my time than all of my other responsibilities (organising trips, extracurriculars, visitors, departmental stuff and so on). I like everything I am involved in, but I was just wondered about how much other trainee teachers are encouraged to do outside of planning, teaching, marking and so on? I think I need to evaluate how I'm balancing things!

ReputationRep:
    I am a little worried. I am studying a PGCE in post compulsory education. Last term I was in control of delivering a unit to level 1 group. It was the first ever time I had done this and I had very little guidance from the staff! I did my best and tried to come up with a set amount of work to be completed by students which would meet the criteria of the unit. I have just received an email invited to a 'Standardisation meeting' in the middle of January. to look at 'claiming award and certificates' for the group. I am worried I have done something wrong!!!!!! anyone got any idea what these meetings are about??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBBWI)
    I am a little worried. I am studying a PGCE in post compulsory education. Last term I was in control of delivering a unit to level 1 group. It was the first ever time I had done this and I had very little guidance from the staff! I did my best and tried to come up with a set amount of work to be completed by students which would meet the criteria of the unit. I have just received an email invited to a 'Standardisation meeting' in the middle of January. to look at 'claiming award and certificates' for the group. I am worried I have done something wrong!!!!!! anyone got any idea what these meetings are about??
    It sounds like it's a meeting to make sure everyone is marking in the same way and with consistency.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBBWI)
    Sounds like a moderation meeting to me. If anything it will be extremely useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrclown)
    Hi all,

I'm on a training route that is half schools direct and half assessment only (it's the first of its kind and really unusual). However, in terms of my role, it's like a salaried schools direct I suppose. My school made a place for me after I had done some volunteering there.

My query is a bit complicated...

At the moment, I'm finding that teaching takes up less of my time than all of my other responsibilities (organising trips, extracurriculars, visitors, departmental stuff and so on). I like everything I am involved in, but I was just wondered about how much other trainee teachers are encouraged to do outside of planning, teaching, marking and so on? I think I need to evaluate how I'm balancing things!
    My school expects me to be taking part in an extra-curricular activity at least once a week, plus any responsibilities that come with a class (key stage meetings, departmental meeting, parents evenings, all marking etc.). I don't run an extra-curricular club each week, so instead just help out when needed - so far I've run science club, conducted mock oxbridge interviews and taught a cross-curricular spanish and science lesson amongst other things. But this is for a PGCE.

People on my course who are school's direct are expected to help out at their school at least as much as me and often more. This is a symptom of the nature of school direct - you're meant to be almost like a proper teacher there, whereas PGCE students are meant to be treated as trainees.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please give me a good push or kicking should I say to get on with my lessons and plan them, I have sooo many to do, and it's like every 3 hours I get next to nothing done :|

HALP - procrastination... panick settling in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Can someone please give me a good push or kicking should I say to get on with my lessons and plan them, I have sooo many to do, and it's like every 3 hours I get next to nothing done :|

On Christmas Eve? Nobody expects that of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    On Christmas Eve? Nobody expects that of you!
    Okay, excuse enough - partay time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Okay, excuse enough - partay time
    Absolutely. I know of no actual teachers who would do such a thing, and I know some seriously sad teachers.

ReputationRep:
    Merry christmas guys,, i hope everyone is having a proper break right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)

I echo what carnationlilyrose said! Furthermore, I don't know how you have enough to do that you're considering working?! I mean, I know the pgce is tough, but we have two weeks off. Surely you can take some of those days off?!

My main worry is an essay I have due in but I've told myself to try to ignore all that for the first week at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.