Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Scandalous stuff. What does this mean for the sport?

ReputationRep:
    Telegraph reports Djokovic said people offered him $200,000 for a match fix early on in his career, crazy.

ReputationRep:
    https://twitter.com/D_T_Tennis/statu...92213154942979

List apparently taken from a Swedish newspaper about rigging in 2011. Sad to see Arazenka and Kohly in there but I guess we don't know what the evidence is and what the newspaper's source was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRabbit)
    https://twitter.com/D_T_Tennis/statu...92213154942979

List apparently taken from a Swedish newspaper about rigging in 2011. Sad to see Arazenka and Kohly in there but I guess we don't know what the evidence is and what the newspaper's source was.
    yeah its a shame about kohlschreiber...

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Italians on that list and eastern Europeans for that matter. Makes sense given that Italian and Russian mobs are often behind these kind of things. I would be devastated if it turns out Schiavone has done something wrong.

I am not surprised match-fixing goes on. Of course it does. It would be naive to think otherwise but I am surprised that there are so many top players who earn a very good living linked to it. I would've thought it would be something that happened almost entirely amongst the lower ranked players because they don't earn much and then it would only happen at the top with a couple of bad eggs, like Davydenko.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all surprised to see names like Davydenko and Fognini appearing on the list. I still remember that match (Davy) against Arguello in '07 and the odds going beserk.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why would Djokovic throw a game for $200,000? He can just win the whole thing and bag millions ffs. Idiot fixers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Why would Djokovic throw a game for $200,000? He can just win the whole thing and bag millions ffs. Idiot fixers.
    He said he was offered early in his career when he was a nobody.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal loses in the 1st round - 5 sets. Had a 2-0 lead in the fifth set, but lost 6 games in a row. Very sad to watch now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Goodbye, Rafa.

ReputationRep:
    Think Rafa needs to retire now. It's just not working for him anymore. Maybe have one more crack at the French, but that's it. It's so upsetting to watch.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, Verdasco can be absolutely stunning when he turns it on. He produced one of the best semi's of all time with Nadal and only lost to Murray because he chocked at Wimbledon when 2-0 up in sets. He's just never had the mental strength to keep it up for a whole slam.

I didn't see the match though so no idea what happened.

At any rate, i'll remember Nadal fondly even if he does go down the drain..

https://youtu.be/8UVNT4wvIGY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash50)
    Think Rafa needs to retire now. It's just not working for him anymore. Maybe have one more crack at the French, but that's it. It's so upsetting to watch.
    Rafa would never retire just because he isn't performing well. It still takes an inspired performance for anyone outside the big 4 to beat him and I would actually have given him a reasonable shot at making the final at the Australian this year. What he needs is a couple of settlers in the early rounds, he always turns it on in the second week. I think he still has the form to beat anyone but Djokovic, he just needs to have one good run in a big tournament and he'll have the confidence back

ReputationRep:
    So given the early round form, who is everyone's picks for the semis? Here's mine

Men:
    Djokovic vs Federer
    Murray vs Monfils/Raonic

(perhaps a little controversial but I'm convinced that Wawrinka is gonna lose before the semis)

Women:
    Serena vs Radwanska
    Azarenka vs Ivanovic

(Also expect Ivanovic to lose before the semis but I can't decide to whom)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Good, professional job by Murray to advance to the third round. Some lovely shots, and he seems to love playing at the net right now.

ReputationRep:
    Hope Azarenka gets back on top.

ReputationRep:
    See ya, Lleyton. Still got photos of me playing tennis when I was about 10 years old with my cap on backwards because I wanted to be like him. Going to miss him.

ReputationRep:
    An epic between Djok and Simon, but 100 unforced errors from Novak!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Djokovic really toiled in that.

My thoughts go out to Kim Sears' dad Nigel, too. Hope he gets a speedy recovery.

ReputationRep:
    Wonderful performance from Raonic earlier today - that's a big win against Wawrinka. Held his nerve in the 5th after being 2 sets up.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.