Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alde123)
    I always run out of time on the QR - any tips to speed up? I've got mine tomorrow and have done most of the questions on Medify - how does the real thing compare?
    Take an educated guess for the questions that require you to use lots of data and calculations. The key for QR is to understand the question - the working behind majority of the questions is really simple.

ReputationRep:
    i got 767, kinda wanted 800 lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imnotsure)
    Now, I`m most certainly convinced I am a fool. Thanks anyway!
    aw no, I could have phrased it better...all in all your score is good for your circumstances cookie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beenieeee)
    I did mine last year, and thought I might have to redo it this year but I didn't

I found medify the most useful resource for prepping
    Don't be disheartened if the mocks don't go as well as you would like - my actual scores were completely different
    The candidate toolkit has lots of good advice on it

Um, I guess all you can do is practice as much as you can, and familiarise yourself with the question styles and your own techniques? I got a good score last year and most of it was just guessing
    The VR passages were a lot longer than I expected

Best of luck!
    I did the practice question for VR won the website... the ones where there are 60 questions and ended up with 40/60... eek!!

how did you score in VR...
    you say they were longer but were they harder to understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarabegum12)
    Take an educated guess for the questions that require you to use lots of data and calculations. The key for QR is to understand the question - the working behind majority of the questions is really simple.
    Thanks! Is Medify easier or harder than the real thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    I did the practice question for VR won the website... the ones where there are 60 questions and ended up with 40/60... eek!!

how did you score in VR...
    you say they were longer but were they harder to understand?
    I didn't finish a few and scored 600 (but somehow got 745 overall lmao)

I don't think so, it was just lots more to take in at once, or maybe I didn't practice enough under timed conditions / have a good strategy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alde123)
    I always run out of time on the QR - any tips to speed up? I've got mine tomorrow and have done most of the questions on Medify - how does the real thing compare?
    Same for mine tomorrow too! Have been doing really bad on the UKCAT Mocks. So worried that I'll do really bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardust-dream)
    In terms of VR, it's true that the real test has slightly longer texts than those given in kaplan. But the same principle still applies- skim read and pick out key words from the question! I don't think the questions were any harder than those in kaplan mocks, and I had about 3 sets of T/F/CT questions.

Have you got access to Kaplan practice tests 1 to 6? Because I've found that the QR sections for these tests are very representative of the real exam- that is to say, QR is MUCH easier than the practice mock tests on UKCAT website. Much less data to sort through, which is always nice Kaplan practice tests 7-9 I found harder than 1-6 for QR (and the other sections too tbf), but that might also be because those were the ones I did first (don't ask me why lol).

For AR, I found that I had more type 4 sets than are usual in kaplan mocks, though that might just be an unfortunate coincidence. I also had more complex type 1 questions (you know, ones with conditional patterns), whilst in kaplan mocks they tended to be more of the easier, single patterns. But its not too bad, I think I was just a bit unlucky

SJT was surprised by- I got band 1, even though in ALL my practice tests I've never gotten above band 2! The questions were similar to the kaplan mocks, so as long as you go through all the questions you got wrong in the mocks the SJT in the exam will be easy

Hope that helps!
    Ah right im doing the 1-6 online mocks and im just it a bit worried with my QR tbh as im getting low 600s even tho last year i managed to somehow get 700 in the real thing and i remember guessing loads at the end as well. With AR i think ill need a bit of luck on the day in the first 2 mocks i did i got in the 700s and just today i got 570 lmao its so hit and miss, thanks for the reply tho

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I sat my UKCAT today and I was a little disappointed but, given my huge lack of preparation, I wasn't expecting miracles.
    VR: 610
    QR: 650
    AR: 580
    Situational Judgement: Band 3
    Total: 1840
    Average: 613

My question is simply what universites would accept UKCAT results at that level? My GCSE's are high (3A*, 7A and 1B) and A Levels are predicted AAA with B already at AS Level.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm applying for undergrad med and did UKCAT today. Thanks to everyone who posted help and tips it really helped.
    I got
    VR 630
    QR 770
    AR 720
    SJT Band 1
    Average 706
    GCSES 8A* and 2As but one A was in English language and I know unis always look at that. Great work experience (2 hospital placements 1 research placement and 1 care home) got 4 As at AS and predicted A*A*A-A*A*A*. Where should I apply? I really liked Nottingham but I'm worried that due to the way they score VR will let me down also happy to give tips if people want

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    Ok so I'm so stressed about applying arghhh!!!
    At GCSE, I attained 10.5 a*s (including all core subjects) and 1 a in drama.
    In my as levels, I achieved AAAC, in biology, chemistry, religious studies and maths respectively.(I was really disappointed with my maths result as it used to be my best subject) I am continuing biology, chemistry and religious studies to A2, and I have been predicted a*a*a in these subjects. As as levels were not compulsory this year, (luckily) most units are no longer looking at as grades (like imperial, ucl etc) and they are my first 2 choices

After sitting my ukcat during the summer, I achieved a mean score of 670 and band 2 in sjt. And now I need two more uckat units, but I want to apply tactically and because I did badly in my UCKAT could someone please recommend which units I'd most likely meet the criteria for?? Also I heard that this year the national average will be considerably lower so hopefully this will work in my favour!

Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am a Canadian and wrote the UKCAT a couple of weeks ago. I just found the student room and was looking for some advice. I think i did pretty well. VR: 720, AR: 750, and QA: 800, with SJ Band 2. My relevant work experience for the personal statement is light, so I am hoping i can find some suggestions on which schools are "UKCAT heavy" in their judgement for candidates. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itwasntmebro)
    Sup. What area are you struggling with in particular? I think that will help decide what resources are best because they all have pros and cons.

I've personaly used the complete med guide, medify and 1000q and so far I feel they do a good job alongisde each other. Tips and questions side by side. For me they are all worth the money cos medify kinda has non existent tips which the complete gudie covers. But complete med guide doesn't really have questions.... I haven't sat the real thing yet though so who knows haha.
    Soooo... I bought complete med guide from their website and 1000q book. Had a flick through ukcat bit for med guide and its really good, its got a lot of helpful tips so I'd say it's worth it especially since it's cheap.

Just waiting on 1000q from Amazon to be delivered and hope it helps just as much hopefully since it should also have a lot of tips but I feel a lot more confident now anyway and I seem to be doing better in my practise questions now.

Thanks a lot for the help dude/dudette.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcg;[url="tel:67561404")
    67561404[/url]]I am a Canadian and wrote the UKCAT a couple of weeks ago. I just found the student room and was looking for some advice. I think i did pretty well. VR: 720, AR: 750, and QA: 800, with SJ Band 2. My relevant work experience for the personal statement is light, so I am hoping i can find some suggestions on which schools are "UKCAT heavy" in their judgement for candidates. Thanks
    Hi,
    First of all, congratulations on your score! ( abd to everyone else who did exceptionally well). Right now, I would advice getting some experience ASAP, as you mentioned you experience being quite 'light'.

The UKCAT heavy medical schools are unis such as: barts, southampton, manchester, nottingham, newcastle, east anglia, kings....

Can I just ask what GCSE grades you got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarabegum12)
    Hi,
    First of all, congratulations on your score! ( abd to everyone else who did exceptionally well). Right now, I would advice getting some experience ASAP, as you mentioned you experience being quite 'light'.

The UKCAT heavy medical schools are unis such as: barts, southampton, manchester, nottingham, newcastle, east anglia, kings....

Can I just ask what GCSE grades you got?
    We don't have them in Canada. I believe most schools in the UK look at your full high school transcripts for equivalence. wish i had a better answer. Thanks for the recommendations. I am working on getting some volunteer hours in a local hospital to try and fulfill some of the relevant work experience hurdles. Tough when your only 16

ReputationRep:
    I have just completed a medify mock and for abstract reasoning one of the questions was a series of clock faces and I had to say whether the subject fitted into A or B. I looked for obtuse and acute angles and that wasn't it.. the actual answer was in A hands point to odd number hours and in B hands point to even number hours. I thought we were meant to treat familiar objects as abstract shapes?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleuves)
    Yes, in so much as UKCAT goes you will be able to apply for any of the UKCAT schools with that. Well done!*
    Hi
    I have an average of 690 band 2
    VR: 540
    QR: 740
    AR:790
    I really want to apply to kings but I feel I'm risking it with this score. If possible please could you give me any advice?
    Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    The AR questions which ANNOY me THE MOST are those questions in which you're supposed to count the number of sides provided that the black or in some cases white sides should be considered to have double or triple the number of sides... sdfowesilvbwen;i l/jweds

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Finding reading other posts particularly helpful! I have my UKCAT IN 13 days and just wanted to ask if anyone had any advice regarding a few sections. Reviewing my modify mocks, I seem to not perform particularly well on the new question type on VR, my method is generally reading the question first and scanning the text for one answer at a time using keywords until I have eliminated 3 or come across something that gives that particular answer, although it still seems pretty time consuming and I am still not managing to get through all of the questions. Does anyone have any other techniques for those question types, particularly inferences and summarising passages? I found the medify mock 3 substantially more difficult than the first 2, is the 3rd particularly representative of the exam?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebro16)
    Did my UKCAT a few days ago and got
    QR 710
    AR 630
    VR 650
    average 663 :/
    Is this any good?...i was planning to apply for kings, barts, exeter and east anglia (norwich)
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Hey it's not q bad score in general but be wise to choose unis. Kings and barts have very high cut offs so you have better chances with others. My advice don't, kings is def looking for a 700 the least. Unless you have done undergrad degree before (esp if you're a kings already) and applying for med undergrad at kings where you would still need the least 690... I'm telling you 100% sure cuz I finished there and have many ppl in this position.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.