The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4600
Fabregas will be assessed tomorrow, according to Wenger on the BBC. If he's fit enough, he will most certainly play on Sunday: we all know how desperate he is to win something with Arsenal.
Diaby is injured (calf)?
I think we'll need a stronger team than that anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4602
Original post by T.Adams VI
Maybe Nasri for Diaby, but that side is more than enough to beat Birmingham. We have to remember this competition is designed for our kids/squad players. We'll have the players on the bench if needed.

Our second team drew to Leyton Orient ffs
Reply 4603
I hope fab is ready for CC.

Walcott injury is hard to take :frown:
Reply 4604
On a positive note it looks like Arshavin is hitting some form.
First off, it was a very good win. We're obviously going to be significantly weaker without Van Persie and Fabregas, and we weren't able to get the fluid movement and passing going. Although it's obvious that I rate the kid, all 'biasness' aside, Wilshere was again magnificent in terms of effort. He was all over the pitch making tackles and very composed on the ball as you'd expect. Nasri supported well but without Van Persie, everything that goes to Bendtner comes straight back and so they can't link-up well. The wins so far this year have mostly been comfortable and there has been no problem scoring goals but these type of scrappy, 1-0 wins are massively important. Djourou has really become an important player and tbf to him it's not something a lot of people were expecting. Another one, along with Wilshere and Szczesny, who has really stepped up this season when needed.

I'm more than capable of separating performance from result and even if Arsenal had drawn or lost today, there wouldn't have been any complaints about the ref from me, so I don't know what the fuss is about on here. The injuries were not caused by tackles (and even if the Walcott one was, it wasn't a reckless tackle -- just unlucky with the fall). Everyone knows how Stoke play and they did play to their strengths but our guys were handling it well and we weren't really troubled too much. The nervousness probably came from knowing that 2 key players had gone off injured and our less than impressive record with seeing out a lead but the corners and delap throw-ins were dealt with reasonably well.

I'm gutted for Theo because I'm sure he would've been playing at Wembley on Sunday but whatcha gonna do? If it's just the twisted ankle, it's a painful one but he should be back within 2 weeks -- maybe making the Sunderland game. But if it's ligament damage then he's screwed. Arsenal might not be though because the fat bastard put in another good shift today; running at defenders, his brilliant assist for Walcott's missed sitter, his tracking back....even an excellent sliding challenge at our corner flag which actually happened to hand Stoke possession but he had a good game overall.

Fabregas is obviously the bigger worry even if his injury isn't as serious. Our chances of winning are significantly reduced when Cesc's not on the pitch. By all accounts it's a hamstring problem but the club doesn't know whether it's just a strain or whether it's a real pull...assessment on Thursday. Although I understand that some fans want the players to taste some sort of success and think it could be a springboard for maintaining a strong challenge for other trophies but I couldn't really care less about the competition. It was fun to watch us beat Tottenham and initially we used the competition well to give players returning from injury, like Van Persie, some game time as well as checking out a few of the youngsters like Lansbury, Eastmond and Gibbs but now I think the CC run has served its purpose. It's not worth risking Fabregas, Van Persie, Nasri, Song or any other important player in. IMO.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4606
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/9406115.stm

Sprained ankle for Walcott, no need for the hissy. He'll miss the final and maybe the Orient game (which he probably wouldn't have played anyway) but i'd think would be back for your next league game. And Barcelona.
Original post by Louis.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/9406115.stm

Sprained ankle for Walcott, no need for the hissy. He'll miss the final and maybe the Orient game (which he probably wouldn't have played anyway) but i'd think would be back for your next league game. And Barcelona.

I think it depends on the severity of the sprain. could be anything from a few days to 4-6 weeks with a sprain. Can be unpredictable.

But if Van.P, Koscielny and Cesc are back for the Brum game I'm 100% sure we can win it.

Then onto Barca :colone:
If we don't win on Sunday I'm gonna tear my balls off in fustration
Original post by BlackVenom321
If we don't win on Sunday I'm gonna tear my balls off in fustration

Gonna hold you to that
We definitely have to go with our strongest side for the CC final and then rest everyone against Orient.

Stoke just resorted to trying to kick us off the park in the 2nd half, when in fact if they'd tried to play football they probably could have got a draw out of that. We were awful going forward, absolutely no threat at all. Once Cesc got injured we went back to that silly passing it around but not creating anything mode that we got stuck at last season. Players were just stationary, no creativity, I had braced myself for the equaliser. The defence done well though, and we got the win which is what matters. Hopefully the injuries aren't long term and Van Persie returns at the weekend otherwise we'll be in trouble over the coming weeks.
Reply 4611
Original post by Overmars
First off, it was a very good win. We're obviously going to be significantly weaker without Van Persie and Fabregas, and we weren't able to get the fluid movement and passing going. Although it's obvious that I rate the kid, all 'biasness' aside, he was again magnificent in terms of effort. He was all over the pitch making tackles and very composed on the ball as you'd expect. Nasri supported well but without Van Persie, everything that goes to Bendtner comes straight back and so they can't link-up well. The wins so far this year have mostly been comfortable and there has been no problem scoring goals but these type of scrappy, 1-0 wins are massively important. Djourou has really become an important player and tbf to him it's not something a lot of people were expecting. Another one, along with Wilshere and Szczesny, who has really stepped up this season when needed.

I'm more than capable of separating performance from result and even if Arsenal had drawn or lost today, there wouldn't have been any complaints about the ref from me, so I don't know what the fuss is about on here. The injuries were not caused by tackles (and even if the Walcott one was, it wasn't a reckless tackle -- just unlucky with the fall). Everyone knows how Stoke play and they did play to their strengths but our guys were handling it well and we weren't really troubled too much. The nervousness probably came from knowing that 2 key players had gone off injured and our less than impressive record with seeing out a lead but the corners and delap throw-ins were dealt with reasonably well.

I'm gutted for Theo because I'm sure he would've been playing at Wembley on Sunday but whatcha gonna do? If it's just the twisted ankle, it's a painful one but he should be back within 2 weeks -- maybe making the Sunderland game. But if it's ligament damage then he's screwed. Arsenal might not be though because the fat bastard put in another good shift today; running at defenders, his brilliant assist for Walcott's missed sitter, his tracking back....even an excellent sliding challenge at our corner flag which actually happened to hand Stoke possession but he had a good game overall.

Fabregas is obviously the bigger worry even if his injury isn't as serious. Our chances of winning are significantly reduced when Cesc's not on the pitch. By all accounts it's a hamstring problem but the club doesn't know whether it's just a strain or whether it's a real pull...assessment on Thursday. Although I understand that some fans want the players to taste some sort of success and think it could be a springboard for maintaining a strong challenge for other trophies but I couldn't really care less about the competition. It was fun to watch us beat Tottenham and initially we used the competition well to give players returning from injury, like Van Persie, some game time as well as checking out a few of the youngsters like Lansbury, Eastmond and Gibbs but now I think the CC run has served its purpose. It's not worth risking Fabregas, Van Persie, Nasri, Song or any other important player in. IMO.

If your talking about arshavin,i swear hes lost weight :colondollar:

I think winning the CC is important, not only cos its a trophy, but will give a massive boost to our squad, knowing that we can go the distance and actually WIN something, rather than falling at the last hurdle.

If we play without the key players you mentioned, i dont see us winning :frown:
Good win, disappointing from an attacking point of view though not unexpected losing Cesc, being without RVP with Nasri only just returning but solid from a defensive standpoint. Squillaci had one of his best games and Sagna was quality in the air winning headers. The sort of comfortable 1 goal victory we need more often on days when our attack isn't quite functioning
Original post by Cesc Fabregas
I dont know if ill make sunday or no, but all i know is that from this moment to sunday 16'30 i wont sleep if its necessary. Ive waited...Too long to captain a final for arsenal and i wont give up till the last second.

Hopefully he can make it but I hope he doesn't rush himself back for the game like he did against Barca last year as it will just end up going wrong.
And while I'm cynical of footballers and I think they'll just tell the fans what they want to hear, you can so obviously see that Cesc means that. He looked absolutely gutted as he was walking off.

edit: Not sleeping won't help though, Cesc.
Reply 4615
I think the carling cup is important because the players made it so. They've made the carling cup their first Hurdle. If wenger hadn't started trying then we would've never ever cared but since the players and the manager have talked it up so much. And this 'winning block' the players have, which I've always called bs on (we haven't won for the past 6 years because we weren't good enough) has been established in the psyche of the players. Then I think it's vital that we win the cup else we'll lose momentum significantly and the players will doubt themselves. Going into the barca game and the rest of the games as winners rather than losers is vital for a team who have dug themselves into a psychological mess
(edited 13 years ago)
^True, plus we've got this far might aswell go for it and send out a strong line-up.
Unfortunately it is Brum and so we are risking injuries by sticking out our big players, but I think the potential psychological damage of losing the final is too great to play the second string.
Original post by poly-
I think the carling cup is important because the players made it so. They've made the carling cup their first Hurdle. If wenger hadn't started trying then we would've never ever cared but since the players and the manager have talked it up so much. And this 'winning block' the players have, which I've always called bs on (we haven't won for the past 6 years because we weren't good enough) has been established in the psyche of the players. Then I think it's vital that we win the cup else we'll lose momentum significantly and the players will doubt themselves. Going into the barca game and the rest of the games as winners rather than losers is vital for a team who have dug themselves into a psychological mess

I agree.

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of the CC myself I think a few fans are underestimating the psychological importance of this final. Wenger has purposely talked it up this year to create a barrier we can most definitely break to give the squad a good mental boost.
Original post by Overmars
First off, it was a very good win. We're obviously going to be significantly weaker without Van Persie and Fabregas, and we weren't able to get the fluid movement and passing going. Although it's obvious that I rate the kid, all 'biasness' aside, Wilshere was again magnificent in terms of effort. He was all over the pitch making tackles and very composed on the ball as you'd expect. Nasri supported well but without Van Persie, everything that goes to Bendtner comes straight back and so they can't link-up well. The wins so far this year have mostly been comfortable and there has been no problem scoring goals but these type of scrappy, 1-0 wins are massively important. Djourou has really become an important player and tbf to him it's not something a lot of people were expecting. Another one, along with Wilshere and Szczesny, who has really stepped up this season when needed.

Thought Bendtner had a hard job but did it well tbh. He likes to drop deep link the play and then go forward but he had no runners beyond him after Cesc went off. RVP plays in a very similar way really and I thought that Bendtner linked the play well. Let's not forget he also got the assist.

Didn't think Nasri had a great game either but that's understandable, the Barca game was his first back from injury and although he likes playing in AMC I really don't think he plays well there. I would have preferred Arshavin playing there and Nasri going on the wing.

Agree with pretty much everything else though. I think that any time Stoke put in even a 50:50 tackle or injure one of our players there's going to be a lot of anger but that's never going to stop (not from me at least) :redface:

Latest