Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How similar is the AR practice in medify to the real UKCAT test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceLewis)
    Hey it's not q bad score in general but be wise to choose unis. Kings and barts have very high cut offs so you have better chances with others. My advice don't, kings is def looking for a 700 the least. Unless you have done undergrad degree before (esp if you're a kings already) and applying for med undergrad at kings where you would still need the least 690... I'm telling you 100% sure cuz I finished there and have many ppl in this position.
    What would you say a person already doing biomed would need for kings. I'm hoping to get a predicted first as I got a first in year one and two

ReputationRep:
    I got:

VR-640
    QR-800
    AR-620
    SJT-Band 1

Where do I lie in terms of thresholds?? Are there universities that have requirements for the UKCAT greater than this?? I intend on applying to Cardiff, Newcastle, Birmingham and Liverpool. I know Cardiff isn't too UKCAT heavy, and apparently neither is Birmingham. I have 10 A*s at GCSE, AAAA at AS and predicted A*A*A* at A level in maths, bio and chem.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm applying for undergrad med and did UKCAT today. Thanks to everyone who posted help and tips it really helped.
    I got
    VR 630
    QR 770
    AR 720
    SJT Band 1
    Average 706
    GCSES 8A* and 2As but one A was in English language and I know unis always look at that. Great work experience (2 hospital placements 1 research placement and 1 care home) got 4 As at AS and predicted A*A*A-A*A*A*. Where should I apply? I really liked Nottingham but I'm worried that due to the way they score VR will let me down also happy to give tips if people want

ReputationRep:
    My UKCAT is today. Really hope I do well, but I doubt it because of my recent mock scores

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoemccarthy34)
    Hey guys. I'm applying for undergrad med and did UKCAT today. Thanks to everyone who posted help and tips it really helped.
    I got
    VR 630
    QR 770
    AR 720
    SJT Band 1
    Average 706
    GCSES 8A* and 2As but one A was in English language and I know unis always look at that. Great work experience (2 hospital placements 1 research placement and 1 care home) got 4 As at AS and predicted A*A*A-A*A*A*. Where should I apply? I really liked Nottingham but I'm worried that due to the way they score VR will let me down also happy to give tips if people want
    As an undergrad m you are fine with that score to pretty much anywhere I would say.... your tariff is high and is your UKCAT- Barts is a good option.

Any tips for VR, was it like mocks?

ReputationRep:
    I got
    VR 630
    QR 770
    AR 720
    SJT Band 1
    Average 706
    Great score. I'd avoid Southampton because their cut off was 730 last year, but I'm pretty sure you're fine applying anywhere else (not 100% sure though so do read up still).

Did you find that there were a lot of questions in VR without key words in them? Like "which of these can be concluded from the passage" or "which is the author most likely to agree/disagree" with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    As an undergrad m you are fine with that score to pretty much anywhere I would say.... your tariff is high and is your UKCAT- Barts is a good option.

Any tips for VR, was it like mocks?
    VR was definitely the worse. I was always scoring highest in VR in mocks then messed up in the real thing. All I can say is remember to flag and move on but I didn't get to the end and tbh I don't know how anyone does. May be I was nervous and it is the first section so make sure you're calm before you start xx

ReputationRep:
    VR was definitely the worse. I was always scoring highest in VR in mocks then messed up in the real thing. All I can say is remember to flag and move on but I didn't get to the end and tbh I don't know how anyone does. May be I was nervous and it is the first section so make sure you're calm before you start xx
    was it worse, because passages were hard to understand or... the length or did you end up with many questions without keywords like "what does this passage conclude?" ..?

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously starting to panic as I'm not doing well in the QR section in any of the mocks. Can someone please tell me what to expect in the real thing because I'm usually good at maths but can't seem to do the mock test ones as they are complex and I run out of time

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just did my ukcat a nd acheived a very low mark .
    I got 620 average
    VR-510
    QR-710
    AR-640
    I have 6A* 5A's gcse
    AS-AAAA
    Predicted-Alevels-A* A*A*
    What UKCAT unis can I apply to? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L7416)
    Would definitely recommend Medify
    I have used it for two weeks and am fine in the untimed conditions but as soon as the QR section is timed I struggle as there is quite a lot of data and text to read. That's why I'm hoping the actual data is simpler to analyse in the real thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayasparkles)
    I have used it for two weeks and am fine in the untimed conditions but as soon as the QR section is timed I struggle as there is quite a lot of data and text to read. That's why I'm hoping the actual data is simpler to analyse in the real thing
    I read somewhere that the medify mocks are harder than the real thing, and after my exam this morning I'd agree
    I guess maybe stop doing them untimed and just do timed questions from now on so you get into it (starts off horribly, but trust it gets better)

When's your exam'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L7416)
    I read somewhere that the medify mocks are harder than the real thing, and after my exam this morning I'd agree
    I guess maybe stop doing them untimed and just do timed questions from now on so you get into it (starts off horribly, but trust it gets better)

When's your exam'?
    It's in two days... It's just when there are loads of instructions to read I panic cause I feel like I'm wasting loads of time. I know how to do the calculations it's the amount of data to take in in the limited amount of time that I struggle with

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE HELP!! I need help in VR ... How can I answer the reading comprehension questions quickly.. should i be scanning for keywords or should i skim read the passage?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaVinciGirl)
    My UKCAT is today. Really hope I do well, but I doubt it because of my recent mock scores
    Good luck xx let us know how you got on

ReputationRep:
    It was more the lack of key words and for me the information was spread out throught the passage. Just each question took ages to answer it was awful 😭

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, my UKCAT is in nine days, was just wondering how soon before the actual exam would people recommend to start doing the medify mocks? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    PLEASE HELP!! I need help in VR ... How can I answer the reading comprehension questions quickly.. should i be scanning for keywords or should i skim read the passage?????
    Yo dude I have mine in 4 days so I was worried about the same thing if you aren't good at reading really fast or you're experienced with skimming just look at the question and dont jut look for the word but read like a line from each para in such a way you kinda understand whats where and then look for the keyword. That way for the next question you'll know approx where you need to look. And ALWAYS go with your first instinct when you think somehting is the answer. Its hard cause even i keep thinkign one is the answer and then mark somethign else and obviously the first one always ends up being right. THE MAIN THING i realised about VR is DO NOT look at the clock every question or so and take a deep breath before you start cause every time i panicked no matter how much i looked for the keyword either I'll miss it or I wont get a gist of the passage at all and fail miserably. hope I could help. Fingers crossed lets hope both us do well

ReputationRep:
    Whos actually seen an improvement in VR with medify? Been using medify for a month and seeing no improvement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.