Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Madjackismad)
Patience is a virtue, but it's really annoying.

Campaign just seems a bit dull right now. Maybe it gets better towards the end where it's an all out fight. Nothing has matched Combat Evolved's campaign though. :nopity:

And don't lie. You did model. No one can forgot the X-Factor esque pictures you had. :shifty:

In fact, I'm going to find them just to prove a point. :gah:

Spoiler:
Show
I cba finding them
I've never played Halo 1 or 2 for more than a few minutes. :teehee:
unknownking321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
She'll prescribe you some Valium. :sexface:
Then I'll bed her.

Good work in H&R, comrade. :top2:
Ape Gone Insane
(Original post by unknownking321)
Then I'll bed her.

Good work in H&R, comrade. :top2:
:top2:

Check your PMs. Enjoy your subscription. :sexface:
Madjackismad
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
I've never played Halo 1 or 2 for more than a few minutes. :teehee:
You're missing out on a lot with Halo 1. Halo 2 was pretty mediocre IMO.

But the campaign on Halo: CE is just masterful, you should definitely see it through to the end.
Ape Gone Insane
You're missing out on a lot with Halo 1. Halo 2 was pretty mediocre IMO.

But the campaign on Halo: CE is just masterful, you should definitely see it through to the end.
I've been told that by quite a few people. Must be something :holmes: Microsoft are not going to even bother to release a Halo HD collection or even Halo: CE HD. Sony service their fans more on this front. :moon:

Hm, if it is on Xbox Originals/Games on Demand then I'll download it during Christmas and give it a playthrough.
Ape Gone Insane

I'm going to go after all my neg-ers one by one like The Bride.
:teehee:
Madjackismad
Report 8 years ago
I've been told that by quite a few people. Must be something :holmes: Microsoft are not going to even bother to release a Halo HD collection or even Halo: CE HD. Sony service their fans more on this front. :moon:

Hm, if it is on Xbox Originals/Games on Demand then I'll download it during Christmas and give it a playthrough.
It doesn't need a high definition remake. It's like Half Life and Half Life 2, the graphics now are not so good, but the gameplay and story are rock solid. It is on originals and I doubt that there will be an HD remake or transfer of Halo: CE. I don't want one to happen as it will be the new studio overseeing Halo and they are worthless compared to Bungie. :hmmm:
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just watched Scott Pilgrim again. Still can't find a fault with it, I'm utterly blown away by it in every area. Even right at the very end when you think the story's going to end unsatisfactorily and you get all disappointed it rescues it.

A brilliant, brilliant movie. It really is a toss-up between that and Inception for my favourite film of the year; although I've been going off Inception over the last month or so, feel like I need to see it again to see if it's as good as I remembered.
Madjackismad
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Just watched Scott Pilgrim again. Still can't find a fault with it, I'm utterly blown away by it in every area. Even right at the very end when you think the story's going to end unsatisfactorily and you get all disappointed it rescues it.

A brilliant, brilliant movie. It really is a toss-up between that and Inception for my favourite film of the year; although I've been going off Inception over the last month or so, feel like I need to see it again to see if it's as good as I remembered.
American reviews of the blu ray disc says it looks amazing in blu ray.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Abiraleft)
Just finished watching it, and I have to say, I am suitably blown away.

Mark Wahlberg is the perfect ********. :yep:
I really can't work out whether Wahlberg is a great actor who picks some god-awful projects (Cage-syndrome) or a bad actor who just occasionally lands in some good films and so gives off the appearance of being good (Bloom-syndrome). Thoughts?

Just watched Exam. Great idea. Disappointed with the end.

Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
How was she meant to communicate the answer? :holmes:
I agree, the ending is somewhat anti-climatic, and can't support the high-concept. It was really interesting though, and I look forwards to seeing what Hazeldine does next.

Spoiler:
Show
I can't remember the details of it all too clearly to be honest with you. Who did she answer "no" to at the end?

Master Chief was born in Elysium City and Blomkamp was supposed to direct the Halo movie.

Spoiler:
Show
Only kidding. Pretty sure it's not Halo since Blokamp wrote the movie himself and Jackson isn't attached to it. :p:
Plus there weren't any odd dead pigs on planet Earth in Halo. :p:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
American reviews of the blu ray disc says it looks amazing in blu ray.
I saw it in HD and it was pretty damned impressive. Not cinema-good, but still beautiful to look at.

Oh, for the day when I can have my own mini cinema complete with projector...
Madjackismad
Report 8 years ago

Plus there weren't any odd dead pigs on planet Earth in Halo. :p:
Could be his interpretation of what The Flood look like. :p:
Ape Gone Insane
I would rate Inception above Scott Pilgrim. Not because of the 'hype', but rather looking back (and I've watched both recently back to back), there is more you take away from Inception. The compilation of great actors, a refined and unique storyline, an exceptional soundtrack and great setting/scenes - not to mention spending more time thinking on the film - that all, for me, outweights what Scott Pilgrim offers as a complete package. Scott Pilgrim is still a pretty superb movie with most of its strengths lying in (unique) visuals which pay homage to the video games of old and the humour.

The Social Network would also be in the running.
unknownking321
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I really can't work out whether Wahlberg is a great actor who picks some god-awful projects (Cage-syndrome) or a bad actor who just occasionally lands in some good films and so gives off the appearance of being good (Bloom-syndrome). Thoughts?

I agree, the ending is somewhat anti-climatic, and can't support the high-concept. It was really interesting though, and I look forwards to seeing what Hazeldine does next.

Spoiler:
Show
I can't remember the details of it all too clearly to be honest with you. Who did she answer "no" to at the end?
Spoiler:
Show
She answered to the Invigilator.

I agree that Wahlberg is hit and miss. Great in The Departed. Poor in The Lovely Bones. If rumours are true, he's not bad in The Figher.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Could be his interpretation of what The Flood look like. :p:
I have to say I really hated Halo. Played the third one, none of it made sense to me and I gave up on the last level because it was ****ing impossible for me to do. Then I tried online and kept dying, I just really didn't like the controls or gameplay.

Make a film on Assassin's Creed, then I'll be interested. You can have Christopher Lee as the evil Abstergo man, Richard Armitage as Desmond and have it directed by the Wachowski Brothers.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
She answered to the Invigilator.

I agree that Wahlberg is hit and miss. Great in The Departed. Poor in The Lovely Bones. If rumours are true, he's not bad in The Figher.
Spoiler:
Show
Wasn't one of the rules that you couldn't speak to him? So didn't she lose by doing that?

I would rate Inception above Scott Pilgrim. Not because of the 'hype', but rather looking back (and I've watched both recently back to back), there is more you take away from Inception. The compilation of great actors, a refined and unique storyline, an exceptional soundtrack and great setting/scenes - not to mention spending more time thinking on the film - that all, for me, outweights what Scott Pilgrim offers as a complete package. Scott Pilgrim is still a pretty superb movie with most of its strengths lying in (unique) visuals which pay homage to the video games of old and the humour.

The Social Network would also be in the running.
There both films which are unlike anything else, and should be lauded as such. But for me, there's absolutely nothing that's not right with Scott Pilgrim, whereas from memory that isn't the case for Inception:

1. Ellen Page is completely wasted in the film, she does no acting. Similarly so are pretty much all of the supporting cast, Cotillard excluded.

2. The storyline works because of how much you interpret from it. It gives the illusion of depth without actually doing very much itself. If you like, it "incepts" the idea of depth. The story at face value is not very good, relying on deus ex machinas and a quick pace to cover it's tracks.

I'm not saying I don't love the film, but there's definitely ways that it could still be improved. Whereas Scott Pilgrim nails everything; the visuals look unbelievable, the acting is flawless, the script is perfect, the humour is consistently funny, the direction is exactly right and I prefer the soundtrack (and score) in this movie to Inception.

Wait until I've seen Inception again and I'll probably change my mind again (:p:), but for now I simply see Inception as a great movie, whereas Scott Pilgrim isn't just a film for me, it's so much fun. I would happily sit down again right now and watch it.

As for Social Network, no way. Shutter Island has a far better claim than it, although I suspect that won't start to be appreciated properly for 5-10 years when people realise it wasn't just masquerading as a B-movie and is actually pretty complex.
Madjackismad
Report 8 years ago
I have to say I really hated Halo. Played the third one, none of it made sense to me and I gave up on the last level because it was ****ing impossible for me to do. Then I tried online and kept dying, I just really didn't like the controls or gameplay.

Make a film on Assassin's Creed, then I'll be interested. You can have Christopher Lee as the evil Abstergo man, Richard Armitage as Desmond and have it directed by the Wachowski Brothers.
Ubisoft are actually looking to break AC into the film industry:

I don't trust the Wachowski Brothers any more. Not after Reloaded and Revolution. :shifty:

The trailers for AC are ridiculously good though. The reveal one for Brotherhood is great even though they are all computer generated.

The third one isn't that great story wise. The first one is definitely the best, but I guess that style and pace of combat isn't for everyone. Multiplayer can be challenging sometimes. :p:

Shifting away from movie talk again. How awesome would it be if Assassins Creed III flicked between the future - so you would be scaling large futuristic buildings in a city and society controlled by Abstergo as Desmond and then flicking back to the past for Ezio's last days as an assassin.

(Mind I've not yet played Brotherhood).
unknownking321
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
Wasn't one of the rules that you couldn't speak to him? So didn't she lose by doing that?

There both films which are unlike anything else, and should be lauded as such. But for me, there's absolutely nothing that's not right with Scott Pilgrim, whereas from memory that isn't the case for Inception:

1. Ellen Page is completely wasted in the film, she does no acting. Similarly so are pretty much all of the supporting cast, Cotillard excluded.

2. The storyline works because of how much you interpret from it. It gives the illusion of depth without actually doing very much itself. If you like, it "incepts" the idea of depth. The story at face value is not very good, relying on deus ex machinas and a quick pace to cover it's tracks.

I'm not saying I don't love the film, but there's definitely ways that it could still be improved. Whereas Scott Pilgrim nails everything; the visuals look unbelievable, the acting is flawless, the script is perfect, the humour is consistently funny, the direction is exactly right and I prefer the soundtrack (and score) in this movie to Inception.

Wait until I've seen Inception again and I'll probably change my mind again (:p:), but for now I simply see Inception as a great movie, whereas Scott Pilgrim isn't just a film for me, it's so much fun. I would happily sit down again right now and watch it.

As for Social Network, no way. Shutter Island has a far better claim than it, although I suspect that won't start to be appreciated properly for 5-10 years when people realise it wasn't just masquerading as a B-movie and is actually pretty complex.
Spoiler:
Show
Exactly; that's why I'm :confused: Though she answered him after the time was up.

It's too late for me to watch Primer. I'll watch it tomorrow. :yes:
Ape Gone Insane

With regards to Page, I also noticed this, particularly in the re-watch. She seems to be the "ask a lot of questions, keep the audience informed" character.

2. The story at face value is not very good, relying on deus ex machinas and a quick pace to cover it's tracks.
I disagree. The only real 'deus ex machina' for me was the limbo (and the returning from limbo) crap. I thought the rest was well scripted and written with a clear resolution and not a solution shoe-horned in at the last minute. And, the moment where they wake up in the plane and you see them smile, was great. The feeling that they have done so much and ultimately planted an idea inside someone's head yet done nothing in reality (if that makes sense).

Completely forgot about Shutter Island. It is indeed, there are a lot of hidden things that have been woven in (the water - reality and the fire - hallucinations).

2010 has been a bit of a blur for me in terms of memory. :moon:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ubisoft are actually looking to break AC into the film industry:

I don't trust the Wachowski Brothers any more. Not after Reloaded and Revolution. :shifty:

The trailers for AC are ridiculously good though. The reveal one for Brotherhood is great even though they are all computer generated.

The third one isn't that great story wise. The first one is definitely the best, but I guess that style and pace of combat isn't for everyone. Multiplayer can be challenging sometimes. :p:

Shifting away from movie talk again. How awesome would it be if Assassins Creed III flicked between the future - so you would be scaling large futuristic buildings in a city and society controlled by Abstergo as Desmond and then flicking back to the past for Ezio's last days as an assassin.

(Mind I've not yet played Brotherhood).
It's a game that could really work well as a movie with little effort, the story is an over-riding element and quite unique. Mind you, the same could have been said about Prince of Persia...

Regardless of how crap the Wachowki's have become, there's no denying that they created a thousand flourishes which pretty much every moviemaker has tried to riff on since. If I was going to make a film with such heavy computer links, I would want them involved in some way.

Aw, I don't want it to only be a trilogy, there's so many more awesome places they could go to.

England in the industrial revolution (I have wanted this scenario every since I played the first, it would be so perfect), WW2 (so many games have done this, it would be so refreshing to see something unique done for a change)...

I have serious doubts about how well the future will work. Guns are only fun so long as they're a sideshow rather than the main event, and I personally love the historical learnings and the epic feel as your character journeys through life (not to mention the unique things the animus allows - like the glyphs) which would be lost. Also up until now I've always hated the Desmond sections (although that's changing with 2.5...). Still, I have faith in the guys doing it, they haven't disappointed yet.

I haven't finished Brotherhood yet, only just started it really. Had my first go at the multiplayer earlier, I was awesome. :cool:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.51%
No (556)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (188)
20.59%

Watched Threads