Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Hey Missy you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Missy, Hey Missy! :flute:

:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    I hope this season dosen't get ridicolously complicated with story arcs

heres hoping :crossedf:

(Original post by CoolCavy)
    I hope this season dosen't get ridicolously complicated with story arcs

heres hoping :crossedf:
    That's what I hated with the Matt Smith era. I found that I just couldn't invest myself in any of the storylines in any of the three series that he was a part of, so I just lost interest in him as a Doctor pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Same. Think it got ridiculous with the whole River Song, Amy pregnant stuff.
    Stopped watching for a year actually.
    I think you kind of have to view the new episode with the other as it is a 2 parter.
    At the screening they played the next straight after the other, didn't even play the credits so although you knew yourself where the cliffhanger was, it wasn't actually pointed out. Flowed much better and it was essentially a 1 1/2 hour episode. I may have just been in a high though as I thoroughly enjoyed them and didn't feel like it dragged, went in really quick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by lustawny)
    That's what I hated with the Matt Smith era. I found that I just couldn't invest myself in any of the storylines in any of the three series that he was a part of, so I just lost interest in him as a Doctor pretty quickly.
    (Original post by EverybodyLies04)
    Same. Think it got ridiculous with the whole River Song, Amy pregnant stuff.
    Stopped watching for a year actually.
    I think you kind of have to view the new episode with the other as it is a 2 parter.
    At the screening they played the next straight after the other, didn't even play the credits so although you knew yourself where the cliffhanger was, it wasn't actually pointed out. Flowed much better and it was essentially a 1 1/2 hour episode. I may have just been in a high though as I thoroughly enjoyed them and didn't feel like it dragged, went in really quick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    agree with both of u :five: and all that impossible girl stuff was stupid too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    missy is a terrible unfunny character

some parts of this episode were like a cbbc show, it deserves to have low ratings to be honest since it has been mediocre to awful since david tennant and russell t davies left.
    Last season with the episodes with the children it definitely felt like a cbbc show but worse! Although this episode wasn't bad, yet they are trying a bit too hard with missy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    Last season with the episodes with the children it definitely felt like a cbbc show but worse! Although this episode wasn't bad, yet they are trying a bit too hard with missy...
    the concept of the episode isn't bad, a new spin on genesis of the daleks fits in well with this doctor since we had the whole "is he killing people?" thing last series

my issue is just with missy really, she is basically a cartoon character

the bits that were like cbbc were the parts where missy came out of the tv screen and when the doctor was playing guitar for some weird reason

I know the master and the doctor have always been "arch enemies" and some argue that they have a weird love for each other, but in this episode there was no subtlety at all and they were basically best friends. The doctor even referred to her as a "friend".

The whole "flirty/cheeky" thing is just unbearable and cliched. Just because the master is now a woman why does that mean she has to make sexual innuendos and flirty comments?

On top of that, the character isn't even like the master at all anymore but a female version of moffat's moriarty from sherlock.

ReputationRep:
    the concept of the episode isn't bad, a new spin on genesis of the daleks fits in well with this doctor since we had the whole "is he killing people?" thing last series

the bits that were like cbbc were the parts where missy came out of the tv screen and when the doctor was playing guitar for some weird reason

I know the master and the doctor have always been "arch enemies" and some argue that they have a weird love for each other, but in this episode there was no subtlety at all and they were basically best friends. The doctor even referred to her as a "friend".

The whole "flirty/cheeky" thing is just unbearable and cliched. Just because the master is now a woman why does that mean she has to make sexual innuendos and flirty comments?

On top of that, the character isn't even like the master at all anymore but a female version of moffat's moriarty from sherlock.
    That is the problem I had with Missy last season! When John Simms played the master there was something unique about the relationship between him and the doctor - the scene where the master is dying and won't regenerate to spite the doctor is so beautiful - and that relationship has just disappeared. I don't like that the master flirts with the doctor because it is too excessive and just changes what I thought their relationship was and I liked how it previously was. In this episode there were moments when they toned Missy down a bit and I did like her, but then again there were moments that I could not stand her. The whole guitar thing I didn't understand the point of it - it felt so out of place and unnecessary. Clara was better in this episode but there is no way she is the doctors best friend - Amy is probably higher up on the list then she is...
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad

:ditto:

No way. Moriarty is much cleverer and much, much more of a psychopath - and a truly believable psychopath at that, whereas Missy simply isn't. He not only acts the part, he also looks the part too - genuinely looking and behaving like a complete and utter loose cannon who could and would do literally anything he wanted to you with nobody to stop him. I've always been under the impression that the Doctor was (and is) always cleverer than the Master in the Doctor Who universe, due to the fact that he always defeats him/her. In the Moffat/Gatiss Sherlock universe, though, I feel that there's always been a big (?) over who's the cleverest/most resourceful out of the pair of them, because I always get the feeling Moriarty can play Sherlock so seamlessly and easily and he always seems to go one step further, due to how insane he is.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    the guitar bit was ridiculous
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Danno190)
    So I have a theory about the return of Gallifrey:

Spoiler:
    Show
    In the last episode of Season 8, The Doctor flies the TARDIS to the coordinates given to him by Missy. He opens the doors to find nothing but an empty part of space.

In Season 9 Episode 1, Skaro is invisible until one has stood on its surface for a time. Until then, it presumably doesn't show on any sensors (I'm sure a combination of the Time Lord's and Lady's brain power and observational skills would have picked it up otherwise), and even from the doorway of Davros' hospital building it cannot be seen.

Am I the only one thinking that seeing as some of the Daleks' tech is pretty similar (albeit crude - time corridors as opposed to TARDIS style) then this could hint to the way in which Gallifrey has returned.

I'm pretty sure Gallifrey returning has been hinted at this season, and I have a sneaky suspicion that Missy - crazy as she may be - wishes to carry on her former Regeneration's final mission of bringing Gallifrey back.

Or am I just stabbing in the dark?
    I think you're onto something there, we'll have to wait and see. Although I was thinking something similar.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Then again, with the hint in the episode with John Hurt playing the War Doctor... Is it possible that later in the season they'll realise Gallifrey doesn't exist in the universe as such, but is stored in that painting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I thought the guitar scene was hilarious. And then when he came out riding a tank, I lost my ****.

Really enjoyed the episode, looking forward to part 2!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I think you're onto something there, we'll have to wait and see. Although I was thinking something similar.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Then again, with the hint in the episode with John Hurt playing the War Doctor... Is it possible that later in the season they'll realise Gallifrey doesn't exist in the universe as such, but is stored in that painting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could be some sort of mash-up of both

Spoiler:
    Show
    One other theory I did think about was that Gallifrey could be out of phase with normal spacetime, the way the TARDIS can go out of phase as a defence mechanism. After coming out of the stasis cube/painting thingy, the High Council decided they needed time to regroup and so deliberately went out of phase, or just as part of moving such a large object such as a planet out of the pocket universe it happened accidentally.

But then I figured, these are Time Lords with a number of TARDISes in their possession, they have all the time they need and all the power they need...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    Personally, I thought the guitar scene was hilarious. And then when he came out riding a tank, I lost my ****.
    :ditto:

I sat giggling for about 5 minutes. I had to make a serious effort to be quiet, 'cause I was watching it at about midnight, and everyone else in my house had gone to bed :mmm:

Yes, it was totally unnecessary, but that was kind of the whole point.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Danno190)
    Could be some sort of mash-up of both

Spoiler:
    Show
    One other theory I did think about was that Gallifrey could be out of phase with normal spacetime, the way the TARDIS can go out of phase as a defence mechanism. After coming out of the stasis cube/painting thingy, the High Council decided they needed time to regroup and so deliberately went out of phase, or just as part of moving such a large object such as a planet out of the pocket universe it happened accidentally.

But then I figured, these are Time Lords with a number of TARDISes in their possession, they have all the time they need and all the power they need...
    True

ReputationRep:
    Look, the guitar scene would be just a bit of fun in a lighthearted stand alone adventure episode. But in an episode where the doctor has to choose to murder a child or not the tone is just not right. Throughout most of the episode it was far too lighthearted for an episode which should raise interesting questions about morals and ethics. It is a family show so I expect some jokes and a bit of fun but the kind of jokes and humour they had in this episode was the wrong kind.

I didn't feel much dramatic tension because every other scene had a silly joke of some kind or missy being completely over the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    That is the problem I had with Missy last season! When John Simms played the master there was something unique about the relationship between him and the doctor - the scene where the master is dying and won't regenerate to spite the doctor is so beautiful - and that relationship has just disappeared. I don't like that the master flirts with the doctor because it is too excessive and just changes what I thought their relationship was and I liked how it previously was. In this episode there were moments when they toned Missy down a bit and I did like her, but then again there were moments that I could not stand her. The whole guitar thing I didn't understand the point of it - it felt so out of place and unnecessary. Clara was better in this episode but there is no way she is the doctors best friend - Amy is probably higher up on the list then she is...
    There is a complete lack of subtlety all round. Michelle Gomez plays the master over-the-top insane where it is used as comic relief instead of used to build on the character or the story in any way. Maybe others find it funny but I personally don't and I think it ruins the character that has been developed over all these years.

Then obviously the "frenemies" dynamic is so obvious and overt now that it is no longer interesting. There is actually a part where the doctor refers to missy and clara collectively as his "friends". As well as ruining this dynamic between the characters it also doesn't make sense for the doctor to say that. I can understand missy saying it because she is crazy but with all the things the master has done to the doctor and his friends over the years it is just stupid for him to say something like that.

I just wish missy was a new character instead of the master because I used to love the master and it pains me to see the character ruined.

(Original post by lustawny)
    No way. Moriarty is much cleverer and much, much more of a psychopath - and a truly believable psychopath at that, whereas Missy simply isn't. He not only acts the part, he also looks the part too - genuinely looking and behaving like a complete and utter loose cannon who could and would do literally anything he wanted to you with nobody to stop him. I've always been under the impression that the Doctor was (and is) always cleverer than the Master in the Doctor Who universe, due to the fact that he always defeats him/her. In the Moffat/Gatiss Sherlock universe, though, I feel that there's always been a big (?) over who's the cleverest/most resourceful out of the pair of them, because I always get the feeling Moriarty can play Sherlock so seamlessly and easily and he always seems to go one step further, due to how insane he is.
    Oh ok well I'm not a huge fan of Sherlock but Missy's personality definitely reminds me of moffat's moriarty (I keep saying "moffat's moriarty" because he is nothing like the one in the books). I haven't seen all of sherlock so this is just from the impression i got of him from one or two episodes.

ReputationRep:
    There is a complete lack of subtlety all round. Michelle Gomez plays the master over-the-top insane where it is used as comic relief instead of used to build on the character or the story in any way. Maybe others find it funny but I personally don't and I think it ruins the character that has been developed over all these years.

Then obviously the "frenemies" dynamic is so obvious and overt now that it is no longer interesting. There is actually a part where the doctor refers to missy and clara collectively as his "friends". As well as ruining this dynamic between the characters it also doesn't make sense for the doctor to say that. I can understand missy saying it because she is crazy but with all the things the master has done to the doctor and his friends over the years it is just stupid for him to say something like that.

I just wish missy was a new character instead of the master because I used to love the master and it pains me to see the character ruined.

Oh ok well I'm not a huge fan of Sherlock but Missy's personality definitely reminds me of moffat's moriarty (I keep saying "moffat's moriarty" because he is nothing like the one in the books). I haven't seen all of sherlock so this is just from the impression i got of him from one or two episodes.
    I completely agree that missy should have been another character or of they wanted to bring the master back they should have brought in a different actor! I'm completely for gender equality but I do think that the master should have been played by another man because missy is not the master we all loved! Missy could have been some other time lord and that would have been fine but she is too over the top to be the master...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, I don't like Missy much either and nor do I like that we've been robbed of her regeneration.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.