Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Feeling so useless. :sad: Can't even concentrate for long enough to copy out maths notes. What hope is there if I cant even copy stuff out, never mind actually DO the maths. Just want to curl up and hide from it- there's no way I'll pass this if this keeps up. Such an idiot. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Hey thanks, that seems a fair price, everywhere i had previously looked has been around 8-12 quid.

Any idea if it works or not?
    Imo if you want medication you are far better seeing your GP who will in all likelihood prescribe an SSRI (unless your specific symptoms merit a different antidepressant). The fact that St. John's Wort is a natural product does not make it safer or better than other SSRIs, and it has a very similar mechanism of action to the other SSRIs, which have *far* more scientific proof of efficacy, a far more regulated process of manufacture, and your GP will be able to inform you more about side effects and interactions - i.e. they are safer and there's more proof that they work. So it seems silly to pay more for St. John's Wort.

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks, that seems a fair price, everywhere i had previously looked has been around 8-12 quid.

If you're taking other medication st John's wort can counteract them so be careful. Never used it myself.

On the motorway. Nearly had a panic attack earlier cos four police cars blocked all three lanes and the hard shoulder to pull someone over... Cba with anything. I'm in such a **** mood.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfgah)
    Imo if you want medication you are far better seeing your GP who will in all likelihood prescribe an SSRI (unless your specific symptoms merit a different antidepressant). The fact that St. John's Wort is a natural product does not make it safer or better than other SSRIs, and it has a very similar mechanism of action to the other SSRIs, which have *far* more scientific proof of efficacy, a far more regulated process of manufacture, and your GP will be able to inform you more about side effects and interactions - i.e. they are safer and there's more proof that they work. So it seems silly to pay more for St. John's Wort.
    I've heard that SSRIs only work for serious depression, not so much mild or moderate, but that's just what i've read so it may have no truth behind it.

I've not built up the courage to see my GP yet unfortunately, every time i consider it i imagine walking in and being told i'm being silly and that there's people with far worse issues than me :erm:

ReputationRep:
    :cry2: I really really need someone to help me right now with stuff for my dissertation (lost some books, and I think they're in a pile of my stuff downstairs, only to sort it I need to lift things too heavy for me), but my friend's not able to because his depression's particularly bad at the moment. I do understand that, and there have been times when I've really wanted to help someone but couldn't make myself, but I still can't stop myself from asking him over and over again because I don't know what else to do. I need to get this work done, and to do that I need these books.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that SSRIs only work for serious depression, not so much mild or moderate, but that's just what i've read so it may have no truth behind it.

I've not built up the courage to see my GP yet unfortunately, every time i consider it i imagine walking in and being told i'm being silly and that there's people with far worse issues than me :erm:
    If you haven't actually received a diagnosis of depression, I'd say that's even more reason that you need to see your GP. Even if you decide to go down the non-prescription route, I can't emphasise enough how important it is to get a properm, medical assessment. Just as self-diagnosis is iffy when it comes to physical illnesses, it is not 100% accurate for mental health problems. You could be more or less severely depressed than you think, or you could have an underlying health problem which has caused depression symptoms (e.g. I have an underactive thyroid and they waited until medication had normalised my hormone levels before diagnosing clinical depression, since hypothyroidism can mimic depression). I promise that any doctor worth their salt will not tell you that you are being silly. You don't need to go in demanding meds or anything (I wouldn't recommend that approach!) but pop in, mention you've been feeling low and ask if there is any support they can offer, or any tests they want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladders)
    Hi there, im sorry to hear that, have you always felt like this?
    No, it is just the latest depressive episode coming on. Was better for about 8 months on my latest medications, however things have started getting worse and worse again over the last month or so.

(Original post by Kindred)
    :hugs:
    I won't be replying anymore for now cos i'm going to bed, but if you want to elaborate I will try to take a look and reply some time soon. Hope you're feeling better by tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not to worry - had gone to bed myself by the point you replied. Today hasn't been much better unfortunately ><

Tell me about it. I'm rapidly slumping back to "i have too much important stuff to do and it's too much so i'm not gonna do any of it, i'll fail anyway" mode.
    On the up side in my case, then finished uni now - so I don't have too many important things to do. Also, this moves what I knew all along, that my psychiatrist was wrong when he said it was just the stress of uni causing my problems.

On the down side, I am rapidly falling apart.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, don't beat yourself up about it, nobody here is cross at you.
    Meh, nonetheless...

(Original post by Kindred)
    :hugs: there is no need to apologise for ranting here- that's what it's for. I have seen you posting nice replies to people and helping them- I believe I've even been one of those you've helped. try not to be so hard on yourself, yes ultimately the only one who can help you is you but it doesn't mean you have to do it alone. We're here for you and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting some support! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but all I seem to do is rant :/... Meh, I doubt I've helped anyone tbh... I dunno maybe I'm better of doing it alone.. I don't even deserve to post here no more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    :cry2: I really really need someone to help me right now with stuff for my dissertation (lost some books, and I think they're in a pile of my stuff downstairs, only to sort it I need to lift things too heavy for me), but my friend's not able to because his depression's particularly bad at the moment. I do understand that, and there have been times when I've really wanted to help someone but couldn't make myself, but I still can't stop myself from asking him over and over again because I don't know what else to do. I need to get this work done, and to do that I need these books.
    Is there anything you could do instead of using the books? Maybe try looking for relevant articles on jstor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfgah)
    If you haven't actually received a diagnosis of depression, I'd say that's even more reason that you need to see your GP. Even if you decide to go down the non-prescription route, I can't emphasise enough how important it is to get a properm, medical assessment. Just as self-diagnosis is iffy when it comes to physical illnesses, it is not 100% accurate for mental health problems. You could be more or less severely depressed than you think, or you could have an underlying health problem which has caused depression symptoms (e.g. I have an underactive thyroid and they waited until medication had normalised my hormone levels before diagnosing clinical depression, since hypothyroidism can mimic depression). I promise that any doctor worth their salt will not tell you that you are being silly. You don't need to go in demanding meds or anything (I wouldn't recommend that approach!) but pop in, mention you've been feeling low and ask if there is any support they can offer, or any tests they want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, i'll have to at some point, i guess you never really know what else is going on related to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mouse Potato)
    Sorry to disappear for so long! Really hope everyone is doing okay :hugs:

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a mild relapse of psychotic symptoms outside of a depressive episode if you have psychotic depression? Or can OCD create symptoms that might be confused for the beginning of a psychotic episode such as paranoid delusions and voices?

Basically I had a big trigger point today and got horribly stressed and starting hearing some faint voices and getting very obsessive paranoid thoughts. Whilst it wasn't a full blown psychotic episode or anything, it was still quite scary because I've not experienced this kind of thing for months and I really, really don't want to relapse, suffering from psychosis was absolute hell.

I take medication but I'm not on antipsychotics at the moment (tapered off them in about March / April I think?) and really don't want to go back on them if possible. I'd ask my CPN but she doesn't work weekends and I don't want to bother a crisis team in case it's nothing and I'm just being silly but it's really worrying me... :'(
    I thought this was the major difference between psychotic depression and schizoaffective disorder? With the latter a period of psychotic symptoms without mood symptoms is required for diagnosis whereas with the former they run at the same time. I don't really know much about OCD causing psychotic symptoms except that I think it is possible in some cases so I wouldn't discount that either. Either way I think you should ask your CPN on monday and try to take things easy this weekend so as to not aggravate things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    There no one else around or likely to be around soon who can help then? I'd be tempted to ask my neighbours for help, but then I know my neighbours are very lovely - please don't go knocking on strangers doors on my advice (im so paranoid aha). Or are there some other aspects you can be working on /editing without the books?

(Original post by rmhumphries)
    On the down side, I am rapidly falling apart.
    :hugs: My brother and I had a failed attempt at making toffee today - I am more than happy to send you the resulting cement-like mix to help keep yourself stuck together?

--

Feeling really sad and lonely. I'm not sure if this is weird, but I desperately desperately want to go and visit the place where my friends ashes were scattered. I think it would help for reasons I can't quite articulate. The trouble is the place is in Scotland and I'm beyond useless at organising stuff. I've been trying to do some research for ages over how to get there and accommodation etc but I just can't concentrate on anything at all and I've gotten nowhere. Probably I'd never be able to go anyway seeing how I can barely make it up the road unattended and I've no one to go with me, but not being able to make plans is making me feel so useless and frustrated and sad. I really want to go, and it's **** that I can't even do this one thing. :cry2:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by avhhs)
    Lmao, deleted the internet :lol:

:ninja:

Just go to Run, type iexplore.exe and press enter :yep:

How are you today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have skillz when it comes to deleting things! :pierre:

I'm OK thanks. Though my sister is cross with me coz she text me an hour ago and I was fast asleep :ninja:

I think asdfgah has covered pretty much everything I'd wanna say. It's very important to receive a diagnosis from a professional. Meds, whether herbal like SJW or SSRIs, need to be experimented with. What works for one person, won't work for another :nah:

(Original post by tasha96)
    Feeling so useless. :sad: Can't even concentrate for long enough to copy out maths notes. What hope is there if I cant even copy stuff out, never mind actually DO the maths. Just want to curl up and hide from it- there's no way I'll pass this if this keeps up. Such an idiot. :cry2:
    Lovely, you're not an idiot at all, please don't think that :jumphug:

(Original post by Sultana)
    Feeling really sad and lonely. I'm not sure if this is weird, but I desperately desperately want to go and visit the place where my friends ashes were scattered. I think it would help for reasons I can't quite articulate. The trouble is the place is in Scotland and I'm beyond useless at organising stuff. I've been trying to do some research for ages over how to get there and accommodation etc but I just can't concentrate on anything at all and I've gotten nowhere. Probably I'd never be able to go anyway seeing how I can barely make it up the road unattended and I've no one to go with me, but not being able to make plans is making me feel so useless and frustrated and sad. I really want to go, and it's **** that I can't even do this one thing. :cry2:
    I don't know what to advise but just wanted to give you a hug ( :jumphug: ) and let you know you're not weird at all for wanting to do that :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I thought this was the major difference between psychotic depression and schizoaffective disorder? With the latter a period of psychotic symptoms without mood symptoms is required for diagnosis whereas with the former they run at the same time. I don't really know much about OCD causing psychotic symptoms except that I think it is possible in some cases so I wouldn't discount that either. Either way I think you should ask your CPN on monday and try to take things easy this weekend so as to not aggravate things.
    This is what I was thinking. Thanks for the help, I guess maybe I'm not just being silly and it might genuinely be a bit of a problem. I'll speak to my CPN on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sultana)
    There no one else around or likely to be around soon who can help then? I'd be tempted to ask my neighbours for help, but then I know my neighbours are very lovely - please don't go knocking on strangers doors on my advice (im so paranoid aha). Or are there some other aspects you can be working on /editing without the books?

:hugs: My brother and I had a failed attempt at making toffee today - I am more than happy to send you the resulting cement-like mix to help keep yourself stuck together?

--

-----

I don't think it is weird. If you want any help with arranging travel, I consider myself fairly decent at sorting out things like that. Accommodation / someone to go with you I can't help with - but if nothing else it might help slightly knowing how to get there at least.

Is anyone on here bipolar? I just think I may be but not entirely sure.....
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think there are definitely a few bipolar people on here, just can't quite remember who I'm schizoaffective, which is a mixture of bipolar and schizophrenia :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well, in my case doctors can't decide whether I'm bipolar or 'just' borderline They even made me go to a hospital for two months, and they still can't figure it out

(Original post by Bapbabelubah)
    Well, in my case doctors can't decide whether I'm bipolar or 'just' borderline They even made me go to a hospital for two months, and they still can't figure it out
    Oh right, that must be a bit of a pain. How long do you experience your highs and lows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avhhs)
    I thought I was doing better too, but things have gone rapidly downhill since then. I'm always bored for some reason. By impulsive I mean wanting to do something bad without properly thinking it through, and not caring about the consequences.

Spoiler:
    Show
    You've mentioned it before :yep: . That's a shame about how you are feeling :hugs:.

I think you are lucky to be in such a family I'd love to have such a family. I suppose they fast because of a pressure to conform :rolleyes:. My family are always religious anyway so I really hate this month. Don't see why your brother has to behave, for him it is like any other month . Do you think the freedom he has is because he is not religious?

I'm not fasting. I don't consider myself to be a Muslim either, and as a result I really hate this month so much because everyone else is not bothered to do anything because they are fasting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :console: Feeling bored all the time is awful. I've been through stuff like that in the past. No matter what I was doing I just didn't care for it.. probably more losing interest than feeling bored though.
    What normally interests you? Have you tried doing things you normally enjoy? Or maybe something new?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you. Some sort of not feeling well is expected I suppose!

Why would you say I'm lucky? Because I mentioned how my family are not religious? Nah it's not really the pressure to conform... if that was the case my parents would be a lot more strict with my rebellious brother haha.

I think not being religious is definitely a part of it... but it's mainly how he grew up. He just did what he wanted and my parents weren't that strict with him. But then I can say the same for me and the rest of my family! Haha yeah it's like any other month for him. The only thing different is my sister has refused to drive him to the pub!

:hugs: Must be tough, especially with a religious family. If someone doesn't fast in my house no one really cares.

Maybe do something on your own? Or with people from college?

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Superdrug sells packs for around a fiver. Or at least it did about four years ago :yes:

:console: :king1: :console:

If it's any consolation, yours truly may or may not have deleted Internet Explorer off her laptop entirely upon arriving at uni. First conversation with my to-be tutorial partner was "hello, I'm TLG. I seem to have deleted the Internet. I don't suppose you're any good with computers?" or something like that.

Wasn't the best first impression I've ever given

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I have done something like that in the past... I thought I had deleted the Internet too but it was just the icon on desktop .

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.