Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic is definitely the favourite in my eyes tomorrow. The match is at Novak's favourite slam, he's never lost a SF at the AO, it'll be at night so the conditions will be a lot slower favouring Djokovic over Federer, it's best of 5 so even if Djokovic loses the first set he'll still be the favourite and he's shown that he can come back from 2 sets down against Federer and since it's a SF there's less pressure on both of them not just Federer. So I'd say Djokovic in 4 but of course Federer has a chance if he serves great, which will be harder since rather than playing in the afternoon sun at Wimbledon it's at night at the AO or if Djokovic is just off which is a possibility. May the best man win.
    With regards to the other semi I think Raonic has an extremely good chance, he's played great tennis so far this season, beating Federer at Brisbane and Stan in 5 on his way to the SF while Murray hasn't been tested as much so far. Of course experience favours Murray but as we saw at the US Open it's a definite possibility that he can lose to a big server who goes for their ground strokes too so if Raonic puts it all together he can pull off the upset. If Raonic doesn't execute Murray will be all over him like a rash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Ftw)
    Really hoping the semi-final pressure might help Federer rather than a final. Djokovic has arguably looked (slightly) vulnerable.. whilst Federer has looked fairly supreme, but we've said that about Wimbledon and the US Open too and we know what happened when they met, so not getting my hopes up. Hope for a great match either way, BEL18VE.
    Djokovic hit an astounding 100 UEs in that five-setter against Simon, probably the worst match I've seen him play in years. If he plays like that against Fed, he's ****ed. And I really don't want to see Federer throw away yet another chance. He's done it far too many times now.

Even if Federer does lose tomorrow, it's still been an absolute joy watching up to this point in the tournament. He makes it look far too easy, as ever.

In terms of playing conditions, didn't Federer beat Djokovic in Cincy (hard court, also) last year at night time? Or at least, late in the day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    Djokovic hit an astounding 100 UEs in that five-setter against Simon, probably the worst match I've seen him play in years. If he plays like that against Fed, he's ****ed. And I really don't want to see Federer throw away yet another chance. He's done it far too many times now.

Even if Federer does lose tomorrow, it's still been an absolute joy watching up to this point in the tournament. He makes it look far too easy, as ever.

In terms of playing conditions, didn't Federer beat Djokovic in Cincy (hard court, also) last year at night time? Or at least, late in the day?
    I agree, we've seen Novak look a bit suspect at times occassionally (anderson at wimbledon too) but he always seems to find a way against Federer, frustratingly for him and his fans. Absolutely agre though, even at this stage to be blowing away practically the rest of the field, it's amazing.

Yeah, Cincy notriously plays very fast though which helps Federer no doubt but I guess it gives us hope, not sure on the time of the day it was.

.. I say hope. But djokovic goes 5-1 up. Looking pretty faultless 😔
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Poor Konta.

ReputationRep:
    Federer fought well to take it to 4 but at the AO in a night match Djokovic is just too good. Federer knows his best chance at a slam will be at Wimbledon and with his reduced clay schedule he might just make it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Djokovic's title to lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Federer fought well to take it to 4 but at the AO in a night match Djokovic is just too good. Federer knows his best chance at a slam will be at Wimbledon and with his reduced clay schedule he might just make it.
    You feel like Djokovic will focus everything on the French Open too considering he's been in the final 3 times but never won the slam.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes players should know when to call it a day. Federer keeps getting embarrassed by Djokovic, a player who he used to dominate a few years ago. If I were him, I would have retired a couple of seasons ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    You feel like Djokovic will focus everything on the French Open too considering he's been in the final 3 times but never won the slam.
    Yeah I'm sure along with the Olympics the French Open will be the top priority this year. He's put everything into winning RG every year but has just come up against the best clay courter ever in Nadal and Wawrinka playing the best tennis match ever. I'm hoping that this year he finally gets a break and wins it but we'll see what happens

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm sure along with the Olympics the French Open will be the top priority this year. He's put everything into winning RG every year but has just come up against the best clay courter ever in Nadal and Wawrinka playing the best tennis match ever. I'm hoping that this year he finally gets a break and wins it but we'll see what happens
    What surface will the Olympic matches be played on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Sometimes players should know when to call it a day. Federer keeps getting embarrassed by Djokovic, a player who he used to dominate a few years ago. If I were him, I would have retired a couple of seasons ago.
    He's losing to one player, like everyone else is, and pretty much blowing away everyone else he plays. In fact, when not playing against each other in slams, Djokovic-Federer were 3-3 last year in meetings.

While I agree that it was pretty uncomfortable watching Federer lose those first two sets 6-1 6-2. But I'm tired of people saying he should retire because he's losing to Djokovic (albeit at the big moments in the slams), when he's still dominating the rest of the field. Rafa should probably retire too, and Murray, eh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    What surface will the Olympic matches be played on?
    I think I heard something about it being played on hard courts but I may be wrong. If not hard then clay I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I think I heard something about it being played on hard courts but I may be wrong. If not hard then clay I guess.
    It's definitely hard courts, which I find strange. Last one was on grass and one before hard court. Should've been clay this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash50)
    It's definitely hard courts, which I find strange. Last one was on grass and one before hard court. Should've been clay this time.
    Yeah it's definitely strange, I assumed once Rio won the games that the natural choice for the tennis tournament would be clay but for whatever reason they've gone with hard courts instead, maybe they really want Roger Federer to get that elusive singles gold but I guess conditions will be key too. If it's a fast hard court, since it's only best of 3, Federer would have a great chance, otherwise it's hard to see past Djokovic, unless Stan the Man makes an appearance.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to the clash today - should be able to catch a few hours of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Come on Andy!

ReputationRep:
    Wow the BBC is really pinning their hopes on the Djokovic from the Simon match making an appearance in the final... Good luck there

ReputationRep:
    Wonder if Murray would fly home now if his wife started labour

ReputationRep:
    Wow looks like Serena could lose this!

ReputationRep:
    Kerber playing outstandingly well but the match is still on Williams' racquet

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.