Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    Any advice on applying for NQT positions? When do most positions become available - I've heard both January and Easter bandied around? I don't really feel developed enough to be applying to those positions yet, but I don't want to miss the boat on getting a school I like.
    Jobs start appearing in January but the real flood start appearing around March. I started applying in January and went to 7 interviews before getting a job. Most of the time I was turned down in favour of a more experienced candidate (or so they told me...).

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou all!

You stars - I appreciate everything everyone has said, this support is really important to me, I don't really have anyone who would understand what a trainee goes through, recently my uncle said to me "oh what are you stressed about - ticking a few boxes" and that really stuck with me for a while - so it's nice to hear all of the above.

Especially now when I am likely to criticize myself and think negatively, I'm grateful to you all and it's reassuring to hear similar responses

ReputationRep:
    Just to respond to two of the recent questions/problems:

Applying for jobs: as others have said, February-May was red hot in terms of them coming out. I had my first interview in March and luckily got the job but I had a few others lined up for the same week which I obviously then pulled out of. Everyone on the course pretty much got their jobs during those months. About 3 out of 25 didn't have jobs lined up until June or July. I'd advise to apply to any school that seems realistic in terms of where you live and look at the school's Ofsted report. Not only will it aid your application as you can quote from the report to show you've actually done some research but it will give you some indication of what the school was/is like. This may put you off a bit before you get invited for an interview - on the day if you get a bad vibe then you definitely know it isn't for you and you can make that clear.

To the person who had their year 10 class taken off them - that happened to me during my second placement as well. Not explicitly but I taught about 3 lessons with that class then my mentor said she'd teach them the next day and I never took them again...I never taught year 11-13 on either placement. I was pretty much just key stage 3 on the PGCE. I think this is fairly normal. It didn't hinder my application for jobs in any way - the schools you apply to aren't going to ask your mentor what classes you've been teaching - they just want to see you've had some experience of dealing with different pupils/sets/SEN pupils etc.

To all PGCE students, enjoy the last few weeks of your first placement - it's exciting seeing which school you get sent to next and the second placement absolutely flies by because of the short terms.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting real nervous about my second placement. I had RIs across all the TS for my first placement. I have so much to improve on, I just can't see myself applying for jobs in the next month or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    I'm getting real nervous about my second placement. I had RIs across all the TS for my first placement. I have so much to improve on, I just can't see myself applying for jobs in the next month or two.
    Don't worry about jobs, they will start in the next couple of months but carry on until the summer (and even beyond). They won't be looking for a fully formed teacher but even so you don't have to apply till you feel you're ready.

Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Don't worry about jobs, they will start in the next couple of months but carry on until the summer (and even beyond). They won't be looking for a fully formed teacher but even so you don't have to apply till you feel you're ready.

Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This. I got mine in June after loads of applications and two interviews. My applications were rejected left, right and centre but there's so many jobs out there, you just gotta remain patient. Even if you don't get it right away, never give up. If worse comes to worse, you can always do supply. But don't think about that just yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Uni is soooooo boring and utterly unhelpful. I feel like I've gone back 5 steps as a teacher since the end of placement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peony flowers)
    Uni is soooooo boring and utterly unhelpful. I feel like I've gone back 5 steps as a teacher since the end of placement.
    I know! We were all saying today that it doesn't even feel like we have been in school and that we are back to square one.

Got another month of this -_-

ReputationRep:
    How long do you take to prepare a single lesson?
    How long do you take to prepare a single lesson plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    How long do you take to prepare a single lesson?
    How long do you take to prepare a single lesson plan?
    The lesson plan - 10 mins

The lesson (resources and thinking of ideas) - 4+ hours!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How long does it take you guys to write an essay? 3000 words, been told we need at least 20 references. I'm hoping to do it in two days...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i have a 4k one to write for next monday, started my research before xmas but only started typing it up last wednesday, currently about half way through it, i know what i need to write, its just getting it down on paper
    Good luck on yours, im sure youll do far better than ive so far managed to achieve!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    How long does it take you guys to write an essay? 3000 words, been told we need at least 20 references. I'm hoping to do it in two days...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It takes as long as you have. If you start 3 weeks before it will stretch out and take that long. If you start 2 days before it will take two days though you might have to miss some sleep depending on how "natural" writing essay style feels to you.

Having your structure, your points and references in place are the main things. Make best use of all the handbook/assignment material provided by your course, e.g. what they are looking for and just go through and tick the boxes.

I finished my 1st pgce assignment at 2am the night before, second at 6am, third was an afternoon presentation and I finished at lunchtime and the last I finished the evening before. Must admit I was a bit worried about the last considering the pattern... I'm not normally like that but during the pgce I had to push times to the limit.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any advice/tips for applying the nqt pool? What is the application like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown shuga)
    Any advice/tips for applying the nqt pool? What is the application like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got my job through the local pool, but it was the only interview I got from it.

It was also a LONG wait from applying to interview. I applied in Feb and got the job in May. Most direct to school applications are turned round within 2 weeks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm gonna be honest - those essays mean absolutely nothing. Just make it satisfactory and everyone's happy - it'll mean less work for you and the uni are happy since it's a 'pass'.

I had to do my final assignment whilst on placement - we had to research the school and observe lessons for the purpose of the essay. I sat in my PCM's room and made it all up. Did that in two days and spent the rest of the time at school writing job applications. I got a high mark for that assignment as well. What I'm trying to say is, don't stress over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I hope we are all well. So I'm back at uni at the moment and they have said about ten times we need to start applying for jobs! I was just wondering how many people visited the schools they were looking at applying to? I am interested in a couple, but at the moment I am in uni most of the time so can't really take time out to visit. Also, I got my marks for my standards and I got five "good" and three "outstanding". Would it be okay to write that I currently at a "good" with "outstanding" elements? Thank you so much for any advice. I am loving this primary PGCE so much!

ReputationRep:
    Really not looking forward to my KS1 placement in a couple of weeks, i really prefer the older ones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    Really not looking forward to my KS1 placement in a couple of weeks, i really prefer the older ones!
    I'm looking forward to mine but I'm really nervous. I have no idea how to control them :eek:

I have Yr 1, what about you?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've somehow decided to add to the tiredness and stress of a PGCE by proposing to my girlfriend yesterday. I think I might have to put the main wedding plans off for a while...

(Original post by swarfliam)
    I have a one day primary placement next week focusing on tasks that will get girls into computing (as though we magically know the answers?) and I'm absolutely terrified!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.