Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    What was your end of year OSCE on?
    and what other OSCEs have you had this year?
    End of Year OSCE:
    Basic Life Support
    Examination of Hands (Rheumatoid)
    Consultation skills: Patient Perspective; Recent Bereavement
    Examination of a Lump
    Prescribing skills and pharmacology (Being quizzed about different drugs and the drug chart and stuff)
    Consultation skills: Information Gathering: Aches and pains
    Procedural and Prescribing skills: IM Injection
    Examination of Blood Pressure and Prescribing
    Examination of Temperature, Pulse and Respiratory Rate
    Data Interpretation and Clinical Reasoning (Looking at blood tests/obs charts/x-rays and the like)
    Examination of lower limb joint (Knee)
    Surgical Scrubbing
    Examination of spine (Cervical)

Module 2 OSCE:
    Consultation skills; Information gathering; Trauma to wrist
    Examination of shoulder
    Consultation skills; Information gathering; Chronic joint pain
    Prescribing Skills and Pharmacology (prescribing paracetamol prn for patient and quizzed about the other meds they were on)
    Examination of the Hip
    Logbooks

Module One (Formative) OSCE:
    Examination of Blood Pressure
    Examination of Temperature, Pulse and Respiratory Rate
    Logbooks
    Urinalysis and Handwashing
    Consultation Skills; Eliciting Ideas, Concerns and Expectations
    Basic Life Support

ReputationRep:
    Progress test done!

I'm ****ing off to Rome now. I'll be back late on Saturday even though results are out on Friday...

ReputationRep:
    Mhmm Surgery/Orthopaedics/Urology results today, CHYEAHHHHHH!!!! *jigs* I can now study for next week's exams without worrying all the time, woop woop. (And somehow the exam I was the most worried about, was my best result...typical...)

ReputationRep:
    How have people done their A&E clinical attachments...?

Because currently have students in A&E makes my day much worse & I usually love teaching. :bawling: There isn't really a plan for them - they seem to just be told to attach themselves to someone (usually an FY2) but then they don't really shadow they want to see patients... which is fine.

But then I have to juggle more patients with my patients - it builds in delays while I'm multitasking & I'm not sure their clerking saves anytime as the quality isn't great (i.e. missing fairly obvious Qs, not pushing for a repeat prescription list & doing a proper drug history or even doing any attempt at examination because for some reason things are difficult so they can't do it... I'm obviously trying to train them up on these things!).
    & then I get even later trying to through in teaching points too.
    & then if I've redone the clerking sometimes need to run it by a middlegrade/consultant anyway.
    & then they ask if they can go for lunch because it's lunchtime when i haven't PUd all day & feel like I'm about to have a hypo!
    Not that I remember that much of A&E but I think we presented to SpRs and Consultants only to speed things along?

Getting people to do practical procedures is easy - if there's something to be done then I'll happily find (& supervise ) a student to do it if they've done it on a mannekin (sometimes they haven't?! Weird), can talk me through it & patient is happy... it's the seeing patients part that stresses me out & I want to be welcomming & helpful but it's making me a grump.

What have people found helpful as a way to learn in A&E?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    How have people done their A&E clinical attachments...?

Because currently have students in A&E makes my day much worse & I usually love teaching. :bawling: There isn't really a plan for them - they seem to just be told to attach themselves to someone (usually an FY2) but then they don't really shadow they want to see patients... which is fine.

But then I have to juggle more patients with my patients - it builds in delays while I'm multitasking & I'm not sure their clerking saves anytime as the quality isn't great (i.e. missing fairly obvious Qs, not pushing for a repeat prescription list & doing a proper drug history or even doing any attempt at examination because for some reason things are difficult so they can't do it... I'm obviously trying to train them up on these things!).
    & then I get even later trying to through in teaching points too.
    & then if I've redone the clerking sometimes need to run it by a middlegrade/consultant anyway.
    & then they ask if they can go for lunch because it's lunchtime when i haven't PUd all day & feel like I'm about to have a hypo!
    Not that I remember that much of A&E but I think we presented to SpRs and Consultants only to speed things along?

Getting people to do practical procedures is easy - if there's something to be done then I'll happily find (& supervise ) a student to do it if they've done it on a mannekin (sometimes they haven't?! Weird), can talk me through it & patient is happy... it's the seeing patients part that stresses me out & I want to be welcomming & helpful but it's making me a grump.

What have people found helpful as a way to learn in A&E?
    I did an on call day there and just ran around helping as much as I could (collecting anything they needed finding patients etc) and then a few clerks. I found it usefull and fun....

ReputationRep:
    A medic friend of mine at Imperial has died recently. He was fulfilling a big life goal of his and cycling across America when he was hit by a drunk driver on only his second day. He was an experienced rider and had already cycled across much of Europe, including some of the Eastern European mountain ranges. I hope his family and friends are as well as they can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skwee)
    Yeahh. I remember for three consecutive years my "most wanted gig of the year" was like, the evening before a major exam...argh! Finally managed last year, somehowww. :P

Luckily all the usually-good July festivals over here have poop line-ups this year (seriously, My Chemical Romance?! Paramore?! Yuck...more like emofest!!!) so I won't feel too bad. :')
    Ah they sound like you're missing absolutely nothing anyway! Haven't seen a live band since last June (but the were Mastodon, and indeed completely awesome).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    A medic friend of mine at Imperial has died recently. He was fulfilling a big life goal of his and cycling across America when he was hit by a drunk driver on only his second day. He was an experienced rider and had already cycled across much of Europe, including some of the Eastern European mountain ranges. I hope his family and friends are as well as they can be.
    That's awful man, very sad news indeed. Thoughts with his family and friends.

ReputationRep:
    Bit specific but can anyone help? Am going through the torture that is applying for student finance. They originally told me I'd get nothing, when I queried this everyone has said I should get max maintainence loan, today they are saying because it's medicine on a 5 year course and I'm a graduate I get a reduced maintainence loan. I didn't get it last year, I got the full loan. When I pointed this out she said would I like them to reassess so I can pay back any overpayment? Not bloody likely. They reassesed last year's accounts no less than 5 times, and never once said that. Any one else in a similar situation and been given a reduced loan? Household income is £13,000, so way, way below the threshold. HELP!!! Oh, and passed first year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Sorry to hear that...it's terrible.

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Ah they sound like you're missing absolutely nothing anyway! Haven't seen a live band since last June (but the were Mastodon, and indeed completely awesome).
    Yeah, can't say I'm a bit MCR-and-the-like fan though I'm sure it'll be full of 13-year-olds (or creepy 18-year-olds...). Only seen Mastodon once quite a while ago - they were supporting Tool (a match made in heaven, it was!) - my gawd was it gooood... *dribbles a bit*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skwee)
    Yeah, can't say I'm a bit MCR-and-the-like fan though I'm sure it'll be full of 13-year-olds (or creepy 18-year-olds...). Only seen Mastodon once quite a while ago - they were supporting Tool (a match made in heaven, it was!) - my gawd was it gooood... *dribbles a bit*
    You've seen Tool?! Unbelievably jealous.

ReputationRep:
    You've seen Tool?! Unbelievably jealous.
    Only once I'm afraid and ages ago (2006 I think it was...)! But it was sooo good, definitely one of the best shows I've been to (well it would be; even if the constant smell of weed did murder my lungs badly). I think they had played Download the year before but I didn't manage to go...and they haven't been here since. Boohoo!

However my two best friends are now attempting to convince me to go see Rihanna with them in December. Lolz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skwee)
    Only once I'm afraid and ages ago (2006 I think it was...)! But it was sooo good, definitely one of the best shows I've been to (well it would be; even if the constant smell of weed did murder my lungs badly). I think they had played Download the year before but I didn't manage to go...and they haven't been here since. Boohoo!

However my two best friends are now attempting to convince me to go see Rihanna with them in December. Lolz.
    Once is infinitely better than never seeing them, even with lung death. I certainly hope they come back round these parts soo. And Rihanna, seriously?!

ReputationRep:
    Once is infinitely better than never seeing them, even with lung death. I certainly hope they come back round these parts soo. And Rihanna, seriously?!
    I felt like such a dork getting my inhaler out discretely. :P Still it was worth it I reckon. They seem quiet lately...or is it just me who's out of touch with the muzaak?

And yeah I know! I'm resisting but they're evil evil women. I'm hoping they won't get me a ticket for my birthday, that'd be awful (worse than that time I was given chocolate body paint)!!! (Then again I could probably sell it with a high profit margin, hmmm.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skwee)
    I felt like such a dork getting my inhaler out discretely. :P Still it was worth it I reckon. They seem quiet lately...or is it just me who's out of touch with the muzaak?

And yeah I know! I'm resisting but they're evil evil women. I'm hoping they won't get me a ticket for my birthday, that'd be awful (worse than that time I was given chocolate body paint)!!! (Then again I could probably sell it with a high profit margin, hmmm.)
    Apparently they're in the process of making a new album - what that means in terms of how long we have to wait I have absolutely no idea. Think the lead singer has been too busy wine tasting to get anything released any sooner

Totally rather have chocolate body paint than a Rihanna ticket.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they're in the process of making a new album - what that means in terms of how long we have to wait I have absolutely no idea. Think the lead singer has been too busy wine tasting to get anything released any sooner

Totally rather have chocolate body paint than a Rihanna ticket.
    I think my sister used the chocolate body paint on a play-cake for her friends...so it had some use eventually! (How someone can find it "sexy" is beyond me...I'd feel like I'd been marinated in poop or something...)

Now you've mentioned wine I have "Sober" stuck in my head. :P Doez not help compute exam revision!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skwee)
    I think my sister used the chocolate body paint on a play-cake for her friends...so it had some use eventually! (How someone can find it "sexy" is beyond me...I'd feel like I'd been marinated in poop or something...)

Now you've mentioned wine I have "Sober" stuck in my head. :P Doez not help compute exam revision!!
    Atleast you can eat it one way or another, the only use for a Rihanna ticket would be part of a burning effigy.

Time to finish my festival packing! Much excitement.

ReputationRep:
    Atleast you can eat it one way or another, the only use for a Rihanna ticket would be part of a burning effigy.

Time to finish my festival packing! Much excitement.
    Or make a ticket-cake if one's feeling particularly evil...I wonder if they'd get food poisoning. :P

Jealous!! You sure you don't wanna read these 1000+ pages instead while I pack for you?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. Just goes to show how right my sig is, though I still do those things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    That's terrible. My heart goes out to everyone who knew him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.