Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    I completely agree that missy should have been another character or of they wanted to bring the master back they should have brought in a different actor! I'm completely for gender equality but I do think that the master should have been played by another man because missy is not the master we all loved! Missy could have been some other time lord and that would have been fine but she is too over the top to be the master...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't really have a problem with the Master regenerating as a woman. It's just an annoying, Mary Poppins on crack look-a-like is a little insulting to the character who's meant to be a Time Lord. I mean they had her actually float down to earth holding up an umbrella in Dark Waters! But I think Moffat has a real problem writing believable female characters. I haven't enjoyed any of the women characters at all since the beginning of the 11th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lwin)
    I don't really have a problem with the Master regenerating as a woman. It's just an annoying, Mary Poppins on crack look-a-like is a little insulting to the character who's meant to be a Time Lord. I mean they had her actually float down to earth holding up an umbrella in Dark Waters! But I think Moffat has a real problem writing believable female characters. I haven't enjoyed any of the women characters at all since the beginning of the 11th.
    I like River Song still and I am so glad she is back, but I do agree that Moffat does falter when it comes to writing about most female characters!

Is it just me who thinks that Andrew Scott (Moriarty) from Sherlock would have made for a spectacularly awesome and interesting incarnation of the Master? Too bad that he's already too spectacularly awesome in Sherlock, as well as already being perfectly suited for it.

I'd much prefer a Master with an Irish accent, as opposed to a Scottish accent

ReputationRep:
    My love hate relationship with Moffat continues. A dire episode. That could have been an emotional episode, with some nice ideas. But Moffat would rather flirt with social justice, try to be edgy calling Austen a lesbo, and sneer at everything than write anything meaningful. Dr WHo mocks itself, but Moffat never commits to anything. He doesn't bother to mock himself mocking himself. But Moffat is ****ING CLEVER. Kingstannis's breaking down of last season's episodes tell you that. Over all this season will be a mixture of brilliant ingenuity and pure cringe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Yeah, I don't like Missy much either and nor do I like that we've been robbed of her regeneration.
    I loved her last season tbh. Maybe its because I think the actress is ****ing sexy.

I'm hoping without hope that Clara stays dead.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by banterboy)
    I loved her last season tbh. Maybe its because I think the actress is ****ing sexy.

I'm hoping without hope that Clara stays dead.
    My problem with her is that she's not the Master. She's River Song but smarter and with more history with the Doctor. In terms of dynamic anyway.

They should have either brought back River or found a reason for the Master to tag along but keep the Master's character.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree that missy should have been another character or of they wanted to bring the master back they should have brought in a different actor! I'm completely for gender equality but I do think that the master should have been played by another man because missy is not the master we all loved! Missy could have been some other time lord and that would have been fine but she is too over the top to be the master...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm secretly hoping/suspecting that Missy is actually The Rani or someone similar... Both performed scientific type experiment stuff on humans.

ReputationRep:
    My problem with her is that she's not the Master. She's River Song but smarter and with more history with the Doctor. In terms of dynamic anyway.

They should have either brought back River or found a reason for the Master to tag along but keep the Master's character.
    What is the master but a polar opposite of the Dr? Which missy is. The gender switch kinda suits that theme. Can see what you mean.

One does not simply give a **** about Moffat's characters in Dr Who.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    What is the master but a polar opposite of the Dr? Which missy is. The gender switch kinda suits that theme. Can see what you mean.

One does not simply give a **** about Moffat's characters in Dr Who.
    I disagree that the master is polar opposite to the doctor! I've always seen the master as everything that the doctor represses. They are both ceazy people but the master embraces and thrives on that craziness which is seen with the constant tapping of the drums in his previous episodes. Missy for me, seems like a different character and I really hope she regenerates soon into someone better....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    excited 4 saturday

I disagree that the master is polar opposite to the doctor! I've always seen the master as everything that the doctor represses. They are both ceazy people but the master embraces and thrives on that craziness which is seen with the constant tapping of the drums in his previous episodes. Missy for me, seems like a different character and I really hope she regenerates soon into someone better....
    The Doctor ultimately comes from potentially crazy stock (both the Time Lords and the Master have proved before how crazy they are/can be), but I definitely don't believe the Doctor is crazy or insane. The Doctor and The Master are very similar in the sense that they're close friends who grew up with each other on Gallifrey, and who then became renegade, separatist Time Lords who didn't want to have anything to do with the Time Lords because of how they were and what they stood for, and what they did/tried to do to them both (which the Doctor talks about during The Sound of Drums/The Last of the Time Lords when he explains how the Master became insane).

Obviously it's pretty dependent on the sort of character he is, during a certain incarnation, but I always regard the Doctor as someone who ultimately wants to do the right thing for anyone/anything that he visits in his travels through time. The Master on the other hand, is someone who just genuinely doesn't care about whether anything/anyone lives or dies, and instead is only prepared to care about what helps his own aims. I'm unsure about whether he genuinely still cares about the Doctor, however, but I'd like to think that he does. I think he just enjoys fighting him. I suppose the character of the Master is similar to Moriarty from BBC's Sherlock in that sense.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Yeah, I don't like Missy much either and nor do I like that we've been robbed of her regeneration.
    omg yeah we never saw john simms regenerate into her :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lwin)
    Writing about a woman is always hard in this pc world, if he made a woman timid he would be accused ot being sexist, if he wrote one strong he would be accused of only being able to write women one way.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Writing about a woman is always hard in this pc world, if he made a woman timid he would be accused ot being sexist, if he wrote one strong he would be accused of only being able to write women one way.
    Bring back Donna or the doctors daughter I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Writing about a woman is always hard in this pc world, if he made a woman timid he would be accused of being sexist, if he wrote one strong he would be accused of only being able to write women one way.
    The trick is to make them actually feel like regular, complex, human individuals instead of just a single character trait like "timid" or "strong". People feel and act differently in different contexts and Moffat gets that with his male characters and writes it in, but he's really got to up his game for the ladies.
    When he wrote River Song in "Silence in the Library", she was strong, happy and regretful, nostalgic, she was a well rounded character. When she came back to the show she was essentially a nympho obsessed with the Doctor and comebacks.

Bring back Donna or the doctors daughter I say.
    Moffat would only ruin them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Moffat would only ruin them.
    I think he wrote the daughter episode.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how much nostalgia Moffat will try to shoehorn into the rest of the series without any real point to them being there (Judoon, Ood, etc.).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    I wonder how much nostalgia Moffat will try to shoehorn into the rest of the series without any real point to them being there (Judoon, Ood, etc.).
    I like it. Less earth, more sci-fi.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.