Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered places at Manchester Uni and MMU for PGCE secondary English and I really don't know which to go for. Any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amul1992)
    I've been offered places at Manchester Uni and MMU for PGCE secondary English and I really don't know which to go for. Any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done for starters! It must be nice to have a choice. I don't know specifically but if I had to choose between two unis I would be thinking about things like:
    - How nice and helpful the staff were on the interview day
    - Which location you liked when visiting (I know both Manc but different campuses)
    - The partner schools, so where I may get placed
    - Course structure. Any significant advantages you may have liked. For example, one of my unis has a good structure set up if you're struggling, compared to the others.
    - General things you've heard about the course or uni
    - Time spent at the uni and in school. This can vary quite a bit.

You may have just gotten a feel for one over the other, but I suspect not seeing as you're struggling to decide.

ReputationRep:
    True, I liked both! Ah well, suppose I've got some thinking to do. I'll bear that in mind though, thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amul1992)
    I should probably have said that they are booked for this week, but very close to the 30 day deadline as that's the only time I've been able to do so. I'm just worrying that failing them (I know I'll pass literacy but maths I may fail by a couple of marks) will mean that I will automatically lose my offer which is pretty unfair.

Have you done the practice ones online? They help a lot with the format. The bit I found hard was the mental maths, with only 18 secs to answer, I found learning times tables helped a lot, as well as converting fractions, decimals and percentages.
    There is also a website called numeracy ready which cost £19ish, but has lots of practice tests. Hope you manage, best thing I found was take a deep breath and keep calm.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone else got an interview invite from Kingston University on Thursday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbstractAlex)
    The group interview is fine! You do an activity as a group and all answer one question. I found it better than my last interview x
    Ah it doesn't sound too bad! Hopefully I will come out of it feeling okay too! Thank you for the advice! 😀

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have a place on a schools direct course at the Queen Katherine Teaching Alliance, through Cumbria University. I know it's a long shot but is anyone else?

:-)

ReputationRep:
    To those who have had an interview at Greenwich for primary, for the letter detailing your experience in a school, can it be written by a class teacher or does it have to be written by the head?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interview at Sunderland for English tomorrow afternoon!

Excited but also nervous. No presentation but sounds like I'm going to get a grilling on my 'in-depth knowledge of my age range and the national curriculum for my chosen subject' according to the letter! Good thing I've been doing my research and reading TES!

Trying to mentally sort through issues, opinions, texts, ideas and all sorts to get me in the mind frame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauramcintosh88)
    Yes I was there! I haven't heard either, the wait is horrible isn't it. Did you ask how long it might be? I meant to ask but got flustered and totally forgot! How did you find the interview?
    What kind of educational issues came up in the group interviews? Like popular ones in the news or like general issues that face teachers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    What kind of educational issues came up in the group interviews? Like popular ones in the news or like general issues that face teachers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A bit of both to be honest with you! With something like that, absolutely anything could come up really so just try to be as prepared as possible. It was honestly really relaxed, the interviewer just left us to it and sat and made notes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm supposed to be hearing from one of my interviews today, so naturally I'm just staring at my inbox until 5pm. I won't worry if I don't hear today. He only said probably. It would be nice though, because I've got an interview on Weds so I want to know whether everything is riding on it or not ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I'm supposed to be hearing from one of my interviews today, so naturally I'm just staring at my inbox until 5pm. I won't worry if I don't hear today. He only said probably. It would be nice though, because I've got an interview on Weds so I want to know whether everything is riding on it or not ha.
    Ah good luck good luck good luck! I know that 'watching your emails' feeling very well! I'm sure you've done fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauramcintosh88)
    A bit of both to be honest with you! With something like that, absolutely anything could come up really so just try to be as prepared as possible. It was honestly really relaxed, the interviewer just left us to it and sat and made notes.
    Okk, I think I now what I want to talk about I just don't think it's "current" so might just keep looking for something more recent and see. In the individual interview were educational issues discussed? Or are the questions more general PGCE ones? Sorry for all the questions I'm just getting a bit nervous lol but it's nice to know that it was relaxed though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Try and keep busy today! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I sent my UCAS off start of December and I still haven't heard from BGU in Lincoln. Has anyone had an offer of an interview/place there?

ReputationRep:
    Got a conditional at Derby! so happy anyone else? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippygirl)
    What someone wore zebra print trousers what a bold move! It was a sea of suits when I walked in just a few moments before the presentation and I was a wee bit worried that I looked too casual as I was wearing a floral dress.
    Good luck to you, it sounds as if everything has gone well no doubt I'll be frantically checking my emails throughout the week

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Someone did indeed, very brave.

Thanks, and all the best to you too - I'm checking my emails every 12ish hours incase UCAS haven't sent the update email out.

ReputationRep:
    Finished all my interviews! Now the waiting game!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    Okk, I think I now what I want to talk about I just don't think it's "current" so might just keep looking for something more recent and see. In the individual interview were educational issues discussed? Or are the questions more general PGCE ones? Sorry for all the questions I'm just getting a bit nervous lol but it's nice to know that it was relaxed though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think we are allowed to discuss specific interview questions on here but if you are aware of current issues and you have some good experience in school you should be fine!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.