Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What an incredible match from Kerber! I'm sure Serena will get to 22 but a more competitive WTA is extremely welcome!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, Angelique Kerber really did it! she won the Australian Open. Congratulations to you! she has beaten a champion to become a champion.

ReputationRep:
    Slam #11 who despite not playing great in sets 2 and 3 played the big points better, hope this is the year Djokovic can finally complete the career slam
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Novak is just a machine! :awesome: Gutted for Andy, though!

ReputationRep:
    Disappointing match in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Man, the years really have flown by. Djoko already on 11 Slams after today - wins his 6th AO, the Open Era record of course and now also tied with Emerson for the all time record.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Poor Murray. In another era, he'd have ten Grand Slams.

He makes more unforced errors than Djokovic - and they're costly.

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic ain't winning the French. Rafa and Stan are the favourites.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Jamie Murray on the verge of becoming number one doubles player in the world. Remarkable feat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash50)
    Rafa has a lot of work to do to even be considered a contender after the past year and a half he's had on tour, his aura of invincibility has slipped badly, especially at the French where Djokovic easily dispatched him.

Wawrinka and Djokovic are my joint favourites. If Stan the Man makes an appearance he's got a great chance to defend if not then Djokovic can make a breakthrough.

Federer's focus is 100% on Wimbledon so I don't expect much from him at RG.

ReputationRep:
    Rafa lol? Did you just get here from 2014 with a time machine?

ReputationRep:
    Dream is for Monfils to win the French Open. Who's with me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Rafa has a lot of work to do to even be considered a contender after the past year and a half he's had on tour, his aura of invincibility has slipped badly, especially at the French where Djokovic easily dispatched him.

Wawrinka and Djokovic are my joint favourites. If Stan the Man makes an appearance he's got a great chance to defend if not then Djokovic can make a breakthrough.

Pretty much this. Although with Djokovic's consistency I'd definitely have Novak as out right fav. He's gonna be huge fav and odds on winner before almost every tournament this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)

Listen, he hasn't been playing badly. Last year if it wasn't for Djokovic he would've been in the semis or even final. At the back end of 2015 he showed glimpses of his best. He easily dispatched the likes off Stan and Murray. He got thrashed by Djokovic, but so did Federer. It seems like Rafa is doing badly but he really isn't, he's beating everybody apart from Djokovic. A couple of decent masters 1000 clay tournaments and he'd be at least second favourite to clinch the title.

ReputationRep:
    Listen, he hasn't been playing badly. Last year if it wasn't for Djokovic he would've been in the semis or even final. At the back end of 2015 he showed glimpses of his best. He easily dispatched the likes off Stan and Murray. He got thrashed by Djokovic, but so did Federer. It seems like Rafa is doing badly but he really isn't, he's beating everybody apart from Djokovic. A couple of decent masters 1000 clay tournaments and he'd be at least second favourite to clinch the title.
    Yeah he played well at the tail end of last year and showed glimpses of his old self then he got destroyed 6-1 6-2 by Djokovic (his heaviest ever defeat against him) and went on to lose in the 1st round of a slam to a dangerous player, but one who the other top guys would have probably got by.

See the problem isn't that Rafa's losing to Djokovic, there's no shame in that, it's that he's losing to journeymen he used to beat blindfolded: Brown, Fognini, Verdasco... These are the guys that Rafa's lost in his last 3 slams against, you can't lose to players like that and have the confidence to win a slam, no matter how many times you've won it before, the old Rafa won 9 RG titles, not this shadow of him.

I'm sure Nadal is working hard to get back to his best, but he's been working hard since the start of 2015 and the best he's managed is a QF at a slam, where both times he had his arse handed to him by Djokovic and Berdych (with a breadstick and bagel thrown in for good measure).

I just can't see him winning a slam until his form drastically picks up we'll see but for now the signs aren't promising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Ftw)
    Pretty much this. Although with Djokovic's consistency I'd definitely have Novak as out right fav. He's gonna be huge fav and odds on winner before almost every tournament this year.
    Djokovic is always the favourite but that's been the case since 2011 and it hasn't happened for him yet. I'm hoping this year will be his year but I don't want to jinx him, especially because Wawrinka is so unpredictable, he's just as likely to lose in the 1st round as he is to win it all so we'll see.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A real shame that Johanna Konta is being forced to pull out of Great Britain’s Fed Cup squad after being struck down with an intestinal problem.

Looks like it'll be Heather Watson, Jocelyn Rae and Anna Smith, and one of either Katie Swan and Freya Christie.

ReputationRep:
    I'll never get bored of tennis, but someone needs to step up. What Djokovic is doing is simply incredible, but I'm really hoping the chasers find a way to threaten him again because otherwise we're going to get finals like Sunday's more and more often. Not their fault I guess, because Djokovic is arguably the most dominant a player has ever been at their peak in the past 20 years.

Murray had definite chances on Sunday. In the second set, when Djokovic threw in 2 DFs in a row (has he done that in the past year, or ever over the past 3 years?) and Murray didn't take the opportunity, the match was decided. If you can't take advantage when it's been handed to you, that's a sign you never will. He just hit far, far too many errors, and a lot of that was mental. Murray goes from loose and brilliant against Djokovic to loose and erroneous at exactly the wrong times. After that brilliant opening set, Djokovic was down at least two notches from the form he'd shown against Federer, and Murray was starting to get into his head. But Murray just didn't strike when he should have. Easier said than done of course, but it is literally that microscopic difference that is deciding their matches. The final tiebreaker, again was a microcosm of that - in the end Djokovic didn't have to work hard for it because Murray made errors all over the place.

I'm really hoping Rafa does his phoenix-from-the-ashes thing but after a year and a half of vacillating excellence to complete mediocrity that's more in hope than realistic expectation. I guess we have to hope that Stan red lines against Novak again and puts up more of a fight than Murray, Federer or Rafa.

ReputationRep:

So Delpo has announced he will be returning to the tour in a couple of weeks at Delray Beach, seems to be the forgotton man atm, really hope he can get back to somewhere near his best, like USO '09 level or even Wimby '13. We shall see in due course, been so unlucky with injuries that's really derailed his career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)

So Delpo has announced he will be returning to the tour in a couple of weeks at Delray Beach, seems to be the forgotton man atm, really hope he can get back to somewhere near his best, like USO '09 level or even Wimby '13. We shall see in due course, been so unlucky with injuries that's really derailed his career.
    I really hope he can get back to the top, if it wasn't for injuries who knows how many slams and titles he'd have by now. He's still relatively young so fingers crossed

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.