Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise until I read the match report, but Benteke had 9 shots in that game. 9 shots, 4 on target, 0 goals.

This isn't one of those occasions where the stats don't paint a picture because pretty much every chance he had was a solid one. The man is pure garbage at Liverpool and will never fit at our club.

Don't get me wrong, the guy clearly has quality - he's shown it this season with some lovely goals out of the blue. The problem is that those are all he really scores. He doesn't have the movement or instinct to fit a high energy, slick passing game like ours and it's painfully evident.

I have no doubts Klopp will move him along in the summer and frankly I'd be happy if we managed to get £20m for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I didn't realise until I read the match report, but Benteke had 9 shots in that game. 9 shots, 4 on target, 0 goals.

This isn't one of those occasions where the stats don't paint a picture because pretty much every chance he had was a solid one. The man is pure garbage at Liverpool and will never fit at our club.

Don't get me wrong, the guy clearly has quality - he's shown it this season with some lovely goals out of the blue. The problem is that those are all he really scores. He doesn't have the movement or instinct to fit a high energy, slick passing game like ours and it's painfully evident.

I have no doubts Klopp will move him along in the summer and frankly I'd be happy if we managed to get £20m for him.
    will trade you Sanogo for him

ReputationRep:
    Sanogo has scored four goals in a game before.

He's also got a vital goal vs BVB in the CL (this is the season after they were CL finalists if I remember correctly).

He's also got that unique chaos factor.

Man will cause havoc in the oppositions area..

..& yours but that's more of an occupational hazard thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

Giroud or Benteke?

ReputationRep:
    benteke is a better striker than Giroud n all that

ReputationRep:
    Nah come on. Giroud > Benteke easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Well they're not. Consider City without Kompany and Yaya.
    Yea but I'd rather have 3 Agueros

ReputationRep:
    Great and interesting to see FGS back down so quickly over the ticket prices. Pleasing to see they took steps quickly and listened to the fans. I think a lot of people were surprised by how many fans were involved in the walkout (a quarter of those at the match).

I wonder if a few heads will roll for completing misjudging the situation and making FSG look bad. No doubt someone said "oh the fans will pay whatever we set and it's just a few disgruntled fans who are troublemakers and we can ignore".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    Nah come on. Giroud > Benteke easily.
    sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

The only sticking point will be Benteke's wages and whether he refuses to move due to not wanting to take a "step down" (even if we are a mid-table club at the moment).

Rumoured to be on 140k a week. While a lot of clubs will be able to spend £15-30mil on a big signing, not sure how many will be willing to destroy their wage structure for Benteke.

Worst thing for Benteke would be to sit on the bench/reserves for a year. I get the horrible feeling we'll send him on loan somewhere since we won't be able to get him to leave but we don't want him here either.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post59090001

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post59111627

Rk2k14 lucio.is.btchboy

ReputationRep:
    A bit unfair to compare a player who doesn't fit in his team to one currently does tbh, the latter will always look better. Benteke would probably be beasty at West Ham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    A bit unfair to compare a player who doesn't fit in his team to one currently does tbh, the latter will always look better. Benteke would probably be beasty at West Ham.
    Which was the exact thing I said with Giroud when Lucio

Can I just say on that page I put up this post and this post.

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by Lúcio)
    Did I say he wasn't?No you didn't but you were definitely implying that when you said:-

(Original post by Lúcio)
    My only argument is that the statistics suggest Benteke is a superior forward to Giroud. Obviously that isn't always the full picture, but we all know Benteke is near world class when on form and the hope is that perhaps he can at some point replicate that at Liverpool.Only except the statistic's suggest that they are both the same as they have similar goalscoring rates and you're going on an inference by the team they play for, while I'm going for(the frankly better inference) of systems utilised for each specific player to suggest the ability differential of the two players.

There is a reason why Demba Ba struggled for goals at Chelsea when he was scoring for fun at Newcastle as a striker. Even when he was starting for us because of the system.

There is a reason despite spending 100's of millions of pounds on the top attacking talents in the world that Manchester United are struggling for goals.(Original post by Lúcio)
    I'm not saying i'm onnocent; i have a tendancy to retaliate and i have no time for people with a grudge against me, but all i'm trying to do is have a discussion about two football players; if you don't have anything worthwhile to say then please just piss off.Firstly I have no grudge against anybody and judge each post individually. But I find it jokes that you can try and banter Arsenal fans over a point that a striker who is on the same ability level(as of today) that is bought for 23M extra is worthwhile to make a joke about, if anything Liverpool are the joke in this moment in time for paying so much for a striker who is not substantially better than a £12M option.

I have no crew on this website and implying that I do really just makes your argument pathetic with ad homs.

Luke pls never change
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Luke please stop this.

You have no idea the difference that systems does to a player.

Fellaini under Moyes at Everton, Fellaini under Moyes at United and Fellaini under LVG at United is probably the easiest example. Fellaini got his big move from Everton to United playing off the striker as a target man, he played deeper as a box to box midfielder under Moyes at United in a more intricate system that utilised less of his aerial ability and more of his ability to feet and he was terrible.

Under Van Gaal they play a system again that uses his aerial ability and he does very well for them, but he is still not at the level that he was at Everton.

Despite the fact that United had a much better team than that Everton side, his utilisation was what affected him.

Maybe in the future Benteke can show his worth to Liverpool and become better but at Arsenal he is not the player they need for their system, essentially they need an upgrade on Welbeck and it's clear enough to see. Regardless of who is better of the two(and I believe Giroud is slightly better if not the same at this moment in time)

ReputationRep:
    'The man is pure garbage at Liverpool and will never fit at our club. Don't get me wrong, the guy clearly has quality - he's shown it this season with some lovely goals out of the blue.'

Why does anybody take Luke seriously

ReputationRep:
    Lol this is BS when Benteke is missing 1 on 1's and clear cut chances, and his finishing is awful. You can only blame it on the system if he's not being utilised or not getting chances, but he is, and he's failing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Lol this is BS when Benteke is missing 1 on 1's and clear cut chances, and his finishing is awful. You can only blame it on the system if he's not being utilised or not getting chances, but he is, and he's failing.
    That's a confidence issue, all strikers miss chances, even Giroud. Benteke doesn't exactly get a plate load of chances at Liverpool and he is on the bench most of the time nowadays, confidence is totally shot. His record at Villa speaks for itself.

I do think that Giroud is better tbh (eg movement, link up play) but Benteke is made to look a lot worse than he actually is at Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    'The man is pure garbage at Liverpool and will never fit at our club. Don't get me wrong, the guy clearly has quality - he's shown it this season with some lovely goals out of the blue.'

Why does anybody take Luke seriously
    Tbh I don't think he's contradicting himself. He's been crap at Liverpool but shown glimpses of quality which is backed up by his historic performances at Villa. He's not become a bad player overnight.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a confidence issue, all strikers miss chances, even Giroud.
    Giroud is a **** example since he's not even a clinical striker.

ReputationRep:
    Benteke's failures aren't even down to the system right now; it's just a lack of confidence, pure and simple. At the start of the season he was winning 10 aerials a game and I barely see him win 2 now, even though we're more direct under Klopp. He's timid and nervous on every touch, rarely attacks the ball and really hasn't got a clue what to do in front of goal. It's a drought, **** happens, and we should just let it pass.

If Benteke had put away his easy chances, then we wouldn't be hearing anything about the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Tbh I don't think he's contradicting himself. He's been crap at Liverpool but shown glimpses of quality which is backed up by his historic performances at Villa. He's not become a bad player overnight.

lold

couldn't resist

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.