Ultimate EPQ thread watch

• View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    62.66%
    not helpful
    37.34%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imdud)
    I'm doing a 5000 word report, but I was wondering what the actual minimum word count is if anyone knows? Does it actually have to be exactly 5000 or can there be some leeway?
    I don't believe there's a specific maximum/minimum wordcount (though this may depend on your exam board), though writing significantly under 5000 will probably damage your marks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma2013)
    I don't believe there's a specific maximum/minimum wordcount (though this may depend on your exam board), though writing significantly under 5000 will probably damage your marks a lot.
    Oh thanks, I asked a friend who said the very minimum is 4500, but thank you anyway

ReputationRep:
    In your actual essay, do you have to analyse/ comment on the reliability of the sources you've used??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saraah17)
    In your actual essay, do you have to analyse/ comment on the reliability of the sources you've used??
    Don't include it in the actual essay, unless analysis of sources is a critical part of it (e.g. if your title was something like 'How reliable are historical artifacts for...?'). I created a separate document for analysis of sources, where I basically did a massive table with headings like: Source; Type of source; Age of source; Use of source; Reliability of source; Comparison with other sources; etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Don't include it in the actual essay, unless analysis of sources is a critical part of it (e.g. if your title was something like 'How reliable are historical artifacts for...?'). I created a separate document for analysis of sources, where I basically did a massive table with headings like: Source; Type of source; Age of source; Use of source; Reliability of source; Comparison with other sources; etc.
    Thanks, do you think that this helped boost your grade at all? I'm already 2000 words over and was hoping to avoid it all together but my tutor recommended I do so.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, do you think that this helped boost your grade at all? I'm already 2000 words over and was hoping to avoid it all together but my tutor recommended I do so.
    Definitely - my teacher was particularly impressed with all of the extra documents I submitted (analysis of sources, planning log, daily plan + diary, write up of experiments, etc.) If I had included all this in my final essay it would have been ~15000 words!
    It's fine to be a bit over the word limit, but make sure you are being concise and not repeating yourself at all - I cut back my essay by ~1500 words just be rearranging sentences to be more concise and chopping out unnecessary 'waffle' (which would include analysis of sources imo).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Definitely - my teacher was particularly impressed with all of the extra documents I submitted (analysis of sources, planning log, daily plan + diary, write up of experiments, etc.) If I had included all this in my final essay it would have been ~15000 words!
    It's fine to be a bit over the word limit, but make sure you are being concise and not repeating yourself at all - I cut back my essay by ~1500 words just be rearranging sentences to be more concise and chopping out unnecessary 'waffle' (which would include analysis of sources imo).
    Thanks, I'm sure a lot of mine could be cut out but I haven't go to it yet. When analysing the sources, did you write a lot for each? Also, how long was your final essay?

ReputationRep:
    EPQ has ruined my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imdud)
    Oh thanks, I asked a friend who said the very minimum is 4500, but thank you anyway
    Last year when I did it, my supervisor said that anything between 4500-5500 is fine (so 10% less or more) just as long as it's not waffling if it goes over and seems incomplete if under.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'm sure a lot of mine could be cut out but I haven't go to it yet. When analysing the sources, did you write a lot for each? Also, how long was your final essay?
    I probably wrote a short paragraph for each, some more than others. I just mentioned things like which sources they agreed with, what I used them for, whether the source was from a reliable peer-reviewed scientific journal (i.e. reliable) or a random website, etc.
    My final essay was just over 8000 words in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, does the contents page give any additional marks?

Also what is expected in the essay conclusion for higher marks?
    And Do we need an abstract in our essay?

Thanks!

(Original post by Lialore)
    EPQ has ruined my life.
    Can you expand on that please? I am wondering whether it is worth doing one and I want to know how much effort it involves. What's wrong with yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyd97)
    Can you expand on that please? I am wondering whether it is worth doing one and I want to know how much effort it involves. What's wrong with yours?
    Honestly, I wouldn't recommend.
    The increased number of people completing it is making it less credible as something special.
    Sure, it's something to write about in your personal statement, but none of the 5 universities I applied to recognised it (4 Russell Group and 1 University of London) but I got offers off all of them just on my A levels.
    To me, it's just been a waste of time and another stress on top of coursework.

ReputationRep:
    I only did an EPQ to enhance my application for Cambridge. And it worked.

I only wrote 2000 words for my whole project so it shouldn't take too long

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydude)
    Just wondering, does the contents page give any additional marks?

Also what is expected in the essay conclusion for higher marks?
    And Do we need an abstract in our essay?

Thanks!
    Also stuck on the conclusion, how did you previous students manage to lay it out!?

Also @ lialore; I almost ended up dropping my EPQ...before being persuaded to continue it. None of my offers so far dont need an EPQ, so i agree...feels I'm putting in the effort for nothing really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydude)

Also @ lialore; I almost ended up dropping my EPQ...before being persuaded to continue it. None of my offers so far dont need an EPQ, so i agree...feels I'm putting in the effort for nothing really...
    Sucks right?
    I have 2 weeks left to complete it.
    I'm going to ask if I can drop it though.

ReputationRep:
    Free from EPQ! Finally submitted mine. :woo:

Now just have to wait until results in March... I'll actually be really gutted if it's less than an B, since I spent so much time on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWCW)
    Free from EPQ! Finally submitted mine. :woo:

Now just have to wait until results in March... I'll actually be really gutted if it's less than an B, since I spent so much time on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mines being submitted tomorrow after I sign some papers, im excited
    Im sure youll get higher than a B! Did your teachers mark yours at a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite stuck on the literature review; could someone tell me what are you suppose to include in it? I was told it really suppose to be a critical analysis of your sources, but can you include your points in it and can you actually review your sources in a seperate document?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay(:)
    Mines being submitted tomorrow after I sign some papers, im excited
    Im sure youll get higher than a B! Did your teachers mark yours at a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ooh, well done! What was yours on?

I bloody hope so. I have no idea what my teacher marked it to be honest, but I think it was at least a B. Fingers crossed!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.