Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown shuga)
    Any advice/tips for applying the nqt pool? What is the application like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pools vary a lot. I am in Norfolk. The Norfolk one is basically a list of nqts with generic personal statements that heads can use if they want. Whereas the Suffolk one is a system where a panel interviews you and then sort of ranks you... Sort of like a pretty interview check for the schools; in suffolk many heads only recruit NQTs from the pool. Someone I know actually got a job offer from someone on the interview panel.

(Original post by cutebat)
    Hello everyone! I hope we are all well. So I'm back at uni at the moment and they have said about ten times we need to start applying for jobs! I was just wondering how many people visited the schools they were looking at applying to? I am interested in a couple, but at the moment I am in uni most of the time so can't really take time out to visit. Also, I got my marks for my standards and I got five "good" and three "outstanding". Would it be okay to write that I currently at a "good" with "outstanding" elements? Thank you so much for any advice. I am loving this primary PGCE so much!
    I would always recommend visiting if you can possibly fit it in. I was on placement so used PPA time. You really do get a feel for the school and whether its somewhere you'd be happy working for a year. Of course it's not foolproof but better than nothing, and it saves time on applications and interviews for places or positions you think aren't right for you. Of you can't though don't panic, schools should understand. Use their website instead and be prepared with the major questions for interview. And don't be afraid to let them know on interview day if you decide it's not the school for you.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely furious today. We've got to do a EYFS workshop to cover early years transitions, assessment, literacy and so on. Not a problem, we need to cover it.

But it's to be ran by BA students. Seriously? Postgrads to be taught crucial parts of the primary experience by BA students? I am so annoyed. I am paying £9,000 for this crap.

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    My school's advertising for jobs and I've been told by a lot of people I should get it if I apply. Problem is, I'm not really too sure I want to work there. The pupils are great, and the facilities are really modern, too. Plus some of the staff have been really helpful. And on top of that, they're considering letting me teach both maths and science (I'm a physics with maths trainee) which is my ideal.

However, there are a lot of cons - it's a long commute so I'd want to move; it's outer London payscale and they're very unlikely to offer anything above M1, the head of science hasn't been very supportive. So I'm really torn over what I want to do. Plus, my SE2 is an incredibly different type of school (all girls comprehensive vs all-boys grammar) and I'm terrified that I'll fall in love with that type of school once I'm there. I guess it's a fear of commitment, but equally I don't want to let such a good opportunity go.

Once I know whether they will let me work cross-departments, I'll then have to speak to as many people about it as possible. I'm normally very decisive, so this is new to me. Exciting, but very stressful too!

(Original post by Juichiro)
    How long do you take to prepare a single lesson?
    How long do you take to prepare a single lesson plan?
    I'd say it now takes me about 40 minutes to plan the lesson (including coming up with ideas etc.); to prep everything else (PP and worksheets) I'm looking at about another 90 minutes (but I do this in front of the television).

ReputationRep:
    I would always recommend visiting if you can possibly fit it in. I was on placement so used PPA time. You really do get a feel for the school and whether its somewhere you'd be happy working for a year. Of course it's not foolproof but better than nothing, and it saves time on applications and interviews for places or positions you think aren't right for you. Of you can't though don't panic, schools should understand. Use their website instead and be prepared with the major questions for interview. And don't be afraid to let them know on interview day if you decide it's not the school for you.

Xxx

Thanks for your reply and advice! Using PPA is a great idea- I am on placement again in two weeks, so I will make sure I try to book them in then. :-D xxx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Still need to start/finish my essay. I know what I need to do and I have a bit of a plan but I don't want to write the damn thing. It's due tomorrow so I know I have to but I really can't be bothered *rolls around*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Experiencing a huge amount of stress right now over planning (primary). I have emailed my class teacher about it but I feel silly/inadequate asking for help. Everyone else seems to have it figured out.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I forgot how to even start an essay D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peony flowers)
    I'm looking forward to mine but I'm really nervous. I have no idea how to control them :eek:

I have Yr 1, what about you?

Not sure yet, will find out very soon, but having to hope for year 2 i think!

ReputationRep:
    First out of three assessments due tomorrow and I think it's the worst essay I have ever written.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely furious today. We've got to do a EYFS workshop to cover early years transitions, assessment, literacy and so on. Not a problem, we need to cover it.

But it's to be ran by BA students. Seriously? Postgrads to be taught crucial parts of the primary experience by BA students? I am so annoyed. I am paying £9,000 for this crap.

If they're third years, I really don't see the problem
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    First out of three assessments due tomorrow and I think it's the worst essay I have ever written.
    Mine is horrific. It's all about progression and it's just awkward as all hell. And everyone is faking their evidence so now I feel daft for keeping mine honest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just in the library doing my assignment now (I feel your pain guys...mines terrible too!).

Question: How many references do you think I should have for a 3000 word essay? At undergraduate my typical rule was 5 per 1000, so that would be 15, but I don't know if I'd be expected to have more because it is masters level?

I'm so worried about failing it, seeing as I failed the formative piece for this module

ReputationRep:
    I have 20 references in a 2500 word essay.

(Original post by Samus2)
    If they're third years, I really don't see the problem
    I think it's so unprofessional- a Masters course being taught by undergrads!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I'm just in the library doing my assignment now (I feel your pain guys...mines terrible too!).

Question: How many references do you think I should have for a 3000 word essay? At undergraduate my typical rule was 5 per 1000, so that would be 15, but I don't know if I'd be expected to have more because it is masters level?

I'm so worried about failing it, seeing as I failed the formative piece for this module
    Masters level doesn't mean you should automatically bump up the number of references. Really it's all about quality.

At masters they're looking for you to really analyse what you've read more and give more of a view, bringing it all together, so less just summarising what other people have already said. So with that in mind I'd even perhaps say less references at masters? But I am no masters expert here! This is just based on what my uni reiterated that the difference was at masters. And obviously using less doesn't really apply if you don't take the time to critically combine the information you've gathered.

xxx

ReputationRep:

We've been advised 20-25 for a 5,000 word essay.

ReputationRep:
    I have 20 references in a 2500 word essay.

I think it's so unprofessional- a Masters course being taught by undergrads!

(Original post by kpwxx)
    Masters level doesn't mean you should automatically bump up the number of references. Really it's all about quality.

At masters they're looking for you to really analyse what you've read more and give more of a view, bringing it all together, so less just summarising what other people have already said. So with that in mind I'd even perhaps say less references at masters? But I am no masters expert here! This is just based on what my uni reiterated that the difference was at masters. And obviously using less doesn't really apply if you don't take the time to critically combine the information you've gathered.

xxx
    Great, thanks for the indication. I struggle to understand how to show my own view because in my first essay I basically described the behaviourist learning theory with references to literature and then the second half was how I've used it in teaching practice (it was supposed to be that way). I got criticised for being too descriptive and told it wouldn't pass but I did include my own opinion heavily, and he recognised that but said I can't just state my own opinion without reference to literature. So I was confused because how am I supposed to talk about my own opinion if it has to be referenced?! It's not my own opinion then!

For this essay I have to evaluate two learning theories so I'm doing behaviourism and cognitivism, and at the moment my attempt to make it an analysis is basically doing things like "an advantage of behaviourism is X (annoying academic 1, 2008), however annoying academic 2 (2001) disagreed with this as...". But it still feels descriptive! I don't know how to avoid it and be analytical. All I want is 50 so I can pass :lol: .

ReputationRep:

I was surprised when I came to uni and we had a lecture on how to write an essay. For a 4,000 word essay, we were told the average amount of work used within the essay was between 4-6 pieces and about 10-20 references within the text
    I'm seriously worried about not passing this essay, I've never before thought that an essay might genuinely fail but eurgh, stress. At least I can resubmit.

(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Mine is horrific. It's all about progression and it's just awkward as all hell. And everyone is faking their evidence so now I feel daft for keeping mine honest.
    Hah, yeah, a few people I know are making theirs up too.

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks for the indication. I struggle to understand how to show my own view because in my first essay I basically described the behaviourist learning theory with references to literature and then the second half was how I've used it in teaching practice (it was supposed to be that way). I got criticised for being too descriptive and told it wouldn't pass but I did include my own opinion heavily, and he recognised that but said I can't just state my own opinion without reference to literature. So I was confused because how am I supposed to talk about my own opinion if it has to be referenced?! It's not my own opinion then!

For this essay I have to evaluate two learning theories so I'm doing behaviourism and cognitivism, and at the moment my attempt to make it an analysis is basically doing things like "an advantage of behaviourism is X (annoying academic 1, 2008), however annoying academic 2 (2001) disagreed with this as...". But it still feels descriptive! I don't know how to avoid it and be analytical. All I want is 50 so I can pass :lol: .
    I did pretty well with this stuff last year, without giving over too much time.

For the assignment you describe I would do:

The bahviourist view of x is blah blah (references). the constructivist view is blah (references ). In my own obersevations and practice i have found (ideally stating here that one or the other approach has worked better for you). My experiences would suggest that xxx is because (and here you will reflect on why things have worked or not worked, how you will move forward, what you might adapt etc. Give specific examples of occasions when you have used aspects of particular theories and how/why they worked out for you).

Obviously I haven't seen your full brief, but I did an assignment reflecting on different teaching and learning theories in this way and got a very high level 7.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys,

Seeking a little advise here as usual.

I went to see my school for placement 2 recently and I have personally been to an all girls school and my first placement was also at an all girls school.

Now I observed at my second school (mixed), boys can generally be more cheeky - and say the oddest things - can anyone give me tips on how to make this transition smoothly and not be so 'overwhelmed'/'taken aback'. Especially in terms of behaviour.

I wish we didn't need to move schools - this school is so hospital like and clinical left me thinking where is that ''school'' feeling I feel in my current school!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Hiya guys,

Seeking a little advise here as usual.

I went to see my school for placement 2 recently and I have personally been to an all girls school and my first placement was also at an all girls school.

Now I observed at my second school (mixed), boys can generally be more cheeky - and say the oddest things - can anyone give me tips on how to make this transition smoothly and not be so 'overwhelmed'/'taken aback'. Especially in terms of behaviour.

I wish we didn't need to move schools - this school is so hospital like and clinical left me thinking where is that ''school'' feeling I feel in my current school!
    The key is to not show that any of it bothers you. Laugh it off, or make a quick joke; alternatively, "we can talk about that after school if you wish, but right now you should be doing xxx" works really well.

I prefer teaching boys, as their disruption tends to be more in-your-face and if they fall out they have a fight then go and play football. The feuds among girls is much less straightforward to deal with, in my opinion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.