Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    I really hope he can get back to the top, if it wasn't for injuries who knows how many slams and titles he'd have by now. He's still relatively young so fingers crossed
    I hope so too. He was really good, he deserves to make it. I just hope that this comeback won't be like the previous one - having to withdraw and drop out of tournaments and ending up having to stop playing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)

So Delpo has announced he will be returning to the tour in a couple of weeks at Delray Beach, seems to be the forgotton man atm, really hope he can get back to somewhere near his best, like USO '09 level or even Wimby '13. We shall see in due course, been so unlucky with injuries that's really derailed his career.
    He was arguably back to his best by early 2012 but the field had improved.

This time, only Murray and Djokovic are as good as 2 years ago when he was about to take third and had produced performances like Wimbledon 13, Shanghai 13 and Basel 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clockwork_orange)
    I hope so too. He was really good, he deserves to make it. I just hope that this comeback won't be like the previous one - having to withdraw and drop out of tournaments and ending up having to stop playing.
    Maybe he rushed it a bit last time but if he's 100% fit this time round that's all that matters. He'll get back to his best soon enough but it's more important he gets the match play under his belt and gets the feel for tour again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)

So Delpo has announced he will be returning to the tour in a couple of weeks at Delray Beach, seems to be the forgotton man atm, really hope he can get back to somewhere near his best, like USO '09 level or even Wimby '13. We shall see in due course, been so unlucky with injuries that's really derailed his career.
    Love JDP his forehand was sooo good to watch. Still got the memories of staying up late to watch that US Open final! As you said, SO unlucky with injuries, would love for him to come back to his best! Maybe he can be the test Djokovic needs...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Poor Murray. In another era, he'd have ten Grand Slams. (...)
    Agree. At the moment Djokovic is just too good. He has strong nerves, showed that up in the sets number 2 and 3. Murray played really good, but Djokovic is still better.

ReputationRep:
    Very happy for DelPo - all the best to him in his comeback.
    Now atm Djokovic has no-one to stop him at any tournament - Murray's out for at least a month as he'll be tied up with his baby, Federer's sidelined until mid-March as he recovers from knee surgery, Nadal's AWOL. In any case, it should be the Kyrgios generation that should be stepping up to pose a real challenge, not the old guard. Raonic had a promising start to the year, but he needs to try and stay injury free so he can capitalise.

ReputationRep:
    Del Potro was getting back to his French Open and US Open 2009 form in late 2013 but unfortunately he got injured. If he didn't get injured, he would have won a slam in 2014 and 2015 as lesser players than him like Wawrinka and Cilic have won slams in that period. I hope he can get back to his best one day although that would be difficult.

Federer has a knee surgery. WTF? I never thought he would ever need a surgery. Perhaps the end is very near. I really hope he makes a comeback on clay and not in Indian Wells as clay is easier on the body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Del Potro was getting back to his French Open and US Open 2009 form in late 2013 but unfortunately he got injured. If he didn't get injured, he would have won a slam in 2014 and 2015 as lesser players than him like Wawrinka and Cilic have won slams in that period. I hope he can get back to his best one day although that would be difficult.

Federer has a knee surgery. WTF? I never thought he would ever need a surgery. Perhaps the end is very near. I really hope he makes a comeback on clay and not in Indian Wells as clay is easier on the body.
    He was actually not too far off putting Nadal out at Wimbledon 2011 but injured his hip in the 3rd or 4th set. I'd argue that he back to his prior 09 form in early 2012 but that Djokovic had forced the game (and the big 4 as a whole) to up their game. Ergo i actually consider his brilliance in 2013 to actually be above 09 but simply against tougher opponents.

Let us regail ourselves with a match of old and some simply unreal forehands..

https://youtu.be/2IfDf7to3wo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Born in Sydney to Hungarian parents.

Initially trained at the Sanchez-Casal Academy in Barcelona. The family moved to England in 2005 at the age of 14.

Qualified as a British citizen in 2012.
    Yet another foreign player playing as British. Currently the British no.1 woman is Australian/Hungarian and the no.2 man is Slovenian.

In order to play as British you should either be born in Britain or have at least one British parent. It's just stupid that Alijaz Bedene, 100% Slovenian, can live in Britain for a few years and then claim to be British. Also forces actual British players down the pecking order if they let him play Davis Cup which is completely unfair.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Saw an interview with Konta last month where she pretty much declared herself Australian. She identifies more with them, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    He was actually not too far off putting Nadal out at Wimbledon 2011 but injured his hip in the 3rd or 4th set. I'd argue that he back to his prior 09 form in early 2012 but that Djokovic had forced the game (and the big 4 as a whole) to up their game. Ergo i actually consider his brilliance in 2013 to actually be above 09 but simply against tougher opponents.

Poor Nadal, he looked helpless! Delpo just took the racquet out of his hands and bullied him mercilessly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

That was brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Andy Murray and his wife Kim have welcomed a babu girl! Congrats to them both, it'll be interesting to see how fatherhood changes Andy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Andy Murray and his wife Kim have welcomed a babu girl! Congrats to them both, it'll be interesting to see how fatherhood changes Andy
    I wonder whether she'll follow in his footsteps, but he's got a way to go to compete with Roger's doubles pairings haha 😆

ReputationRep:
    I doubt Murray's tennis will change as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDB1826)
    I wonder whether she'll follow in his footsteps, but he's got a way to go to compete with Roger's doubles pairings haha 😆
    She could play mixed doubles with Djokovic's son, they might stand a chance against the Federers! XD

ReputationRep:
    Delpo on his way to winning his first tournament since returning from injury - he faces Querrey in the SF, and Ram in the final.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Konta was on Jonathan Ross last night. Clearly becoming a breakout star for the sport.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal loses again. He has lost his aura. Players aren't scared of him anymore. Either he has to get a new coach or keep suffering humiliation losses to players he would be beating with his eyes closed a few years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I expected too much from Delpo. He did really well, but I got too cocky and bet on him winning the tournament. I'd never have predicted two journeymen (barely) making it to the final..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.