UEA Accommodation Watch

This discussion is closed.
makingamemory
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Causton97)
I'm stuck between campus en-suite and the village... I'm not fussed about having a walk onto campus to my lectures as I'll only be doing that in my second and third years, and I like how there seems to be a sense of community, at least from what I've heard! Living with a smaller group of people also appeals to me more... and I imagine it would make things easier with cooking and cupboard/fridge space etc.
I'm just wondering how large the rooms and shower pods are in comparison to the campus ones though? I went on my applicant day yesterday, but we weren't shown the village and I didn't get a chance to even have a wander over to see if they were showing any of the accommodation there.

If anyone currently living in the village has any pictures they'd be willing to share, that would be absolutely fantastic too!
The rooms are probably 3/4s the size of campus en-suites you lose floor space and not storage space. The pods are quite small, sat on the loo you could turn the shower on and brush your teeth in the sink without moving But at the end of the day it's still a perfectly working ensuite for a cheaper price. Tbh you can still fit 8 people in a room to watch a film with no problems

You definitely have more kitchen space, we all had one small cupboard for food, a larger cupboard for kitchenware and then half a drawer for cutlery, plus a shelf in the fridge and freezer and the kitchens look like actual kitchens and aren't metallic.
Causton97
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by makingamemory)
The rooms are probably 3/4s the size of campus en-suites you lose floor space and not storage space. The pods are quite small, sat on the loo you could turn the shower on and brush your teeth in the sink without moving But at the end of the day it's still a perfectly working ensuite for a cheaper price. Tbh you can still fit 8 people in a room to watch a film with no problems

You definitely have more kitchen space, we all had one small cupboard for food, a larger cupboard for kitchenware and then half a drawer for cutlery, plus a shelf in the fridge and freezer and the kitchens look like actual kitchens and aren't metallic.
Sounds like the choice for me then! Thank you for the info! The extra kitchen space definitely sounds like a big plus!
Londoner97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are there any apart from size of room?
Zoelingua
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the village rooms have been recently refurbished, so will probably have nicer facilities compared to campus en suite rooms. And from what I remember being told at the applicant day, you share a kitchen between less people in the village (I think its like 5-8 people maybe? I could be wrong, I know it's up to 13 for campus en suite though).
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Londoner97)
Are there any apart from size of room?
bathrooms and flats are smaller in the village and the kitchens have wooden surfaces rather than metal ones, although I lived in campus ensuite and hardly noticed the metal kitchen surface
Londoner97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
bathrooms and flats are smaller in the village and the kitchens have wooden surfaces rather than metal ones, although I lived in campus ensuite and hardly noticed the metal kitchen surface
The 1 downside I'd think of campus ensuite was that the flat wasn't big enough to hold 12 people (e.g. if everyone was to chill in the kitchen). What would you say based on your experience living there? That would be my main reason for choosing village
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Londoner97)
The 1 downside I'd think of campus ensuite was that the flat wasn't big enough to hold 12 people (e.g. if everyone was to chill in the kitchen). What would you say based on your experience living there? That would be my main reason for choosing village
Our kitchen was huge, we definitley had enough room for 12 people.
dyslexicvegie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyone got any photos of the village rooms etc ( the uea website looks deceptive) ??? thanks
Flame Alchemist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dyslexicvegie)
Anyone got any photos of the village rooms etc ( the uea website looks deceptive) ??? thanks
This would be pretty good! I'm also unsure as to the differences between the campus and village en-suite. I've had a couple of chances to look around the campus en-suite at open/applicant day but unfortunately not the equivalent village rooms.

Are the main things about the village en-suite compared to campus are that it's cheaper and smaller but newer and nicer?
Londoner97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sjgriffiths)
This would be pretty good! I'm also unsure as to the differences between the campus and village en-suite. I've had a couple of chances to look around the campus en-suite at open/applicant day but unfortunately not the equivalent village rooms.

Are the main things about the village en-suite compared to campus are that it's cheaper and smaller but newer and nicer?
I've also emailed them and they said that most village flats will have ovens for the 2015 intake
username1194707
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just a warning about UEA - I got reported to the accommodation office for having a friend (who goes to the uni) come round for 30 mins in the daytime to do work without permission, and you're only allowed one person to come round for a maximum of 3 days per semester. It's ridiculous really.
joanneeve
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone know how likely you are to get the accommodation you want when its your insurance choice?
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by beckyyc17)
Just a warning about UEA - I got reported to the accommodation office for having a friend (who goes to the uni) come round for 30 mins in the daytime to do work without permission, and you're only allowed one person to come round for a maximum of 3 days per semester. It's ridiculous really.
The rules state that guests are only allowed to STAY OVER, as in sleep in your room, for a maximum of three days in a row and not too frequently, and you need to ask your resident tutor first. This is to stop people from basically moving someone in rent free and causing problems for their flatmates. Having said this, if you make sure that your guests are considerate and don't use up space or resources you shouldn't have an issue. My partner came to stay once a week for one night and we never had any problems at all.

People can come and visit you in your flat during the daytime or evening as often as you like, as long as they are sticking to the same rules as everyone else has to, being considerate etc. I don't know who told you hat you can't have someone come in to the flat for half an hour but that is certainly not a rule of the uni.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by beckyyc17)
I second what kpwxx said, its definitley not a rule of the uni, that sounds like an over zelous flatmate or you were making a lot of noise. I had people come over to mine at all hours/went over to other peoples at various hours including overnight and never had a problem.
zoe_l
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have finally firmed UEA and I was browsing through the accommodation options (there's so many) and wanted to know more about the Premier Accomodation Range? Does it just mean a bigger room and are they usually en-suite too? I don't really fancy studio flats as this would probably mean less interaction with flatmates, sharing a kitchen would be fun.

Thanks in advance & well done to everyone else on their offers
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zoe_l)
I have finally firmed UEA and I was browsing through the accommodation options (there's so many) and wanted to know more about the Premier Accomodation Range? Does it just mean a bigger room and are they usually en-suite too? I don't really fancy studio flats as this would probably mean less interaction with flatmates, sharing a kitchen would be fun.

Thanks in advance & well done to everyone else on their offers
The premier range are generally studios or mini flats. I think some of them are two room flats. If you are looking for he experience of sharing with a group of flatmates I'd avoid them, although there are obviously other ways to be social!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Londoner97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is a video of UEA accomodation on YouTube
dyslexicvegie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If I went for the village would i be missing out socially?
Londoner97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dyslexicvegie)
If I went for the village would i be missing out socially?
Don't see why not. Depends on who's around you I guess
Laura57
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If they allocate accommodation to those with unconditional offers first does this mean you're more likely o get your top choice if you hve an unconditional offer?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Tue, 12 Mar '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (141)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (165)
53.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise