Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Burnley doing alright. Those two teams from Manchester have had some success every now and again
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Burnley doing alright. Those two teams from Manchester have had some success every now and again
    That's more what I was getting at. In a region like that, it's important for other sides to be in and around United and City.

Traditionally, Blackburn and Bolton were top flight clubs, and Wigan and Burnley have been too in recent years.

Preston are packed with history, and you also have the likes of Oldham, Bury, Rochdale and Altrincham.

Those clubs struggling just means kids will end up supporting the former two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    That's more what I was getting at. In a region like that, it's important for other sides to be in and around United and City.

Traditionally, Blackburn and Bolton were top flight clubs, and Wigan and Burnley have been too in recent years.

Preston are packed with history, and you also have the likes of Oldham, Bury, Rochdale and Altrincham.

Those clubs struggling just means kids will end up supporting the former two.
    To be fair there's also the 2 Liverpudlian teams. Though the extreme case is probably Scotland where the Old Firm mops up support nowhere near Glasgow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very sad news that ex-Leicester, Coventry, WBA, Sunderland and Tottenham goalkeeper Marton Fulop has died at the age of just 32.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Terrible news RIP
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    WTF: http://www.football-league.co.uk/new...e-2798210.aspx

ReputationRep:
    The English football league, plus Cardiff City and Newport County. Looks like an energy provider.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The English football league, plus Cardiff City and Newport County. Looks like an energy provider.
    I was thinking more American computer company, but good shout.

ReputationRep:
    There's certainly something American about it. The plus is that maybe one day we'll get promoted via the superbowl

ReputationRep:
    There's certainly something American about it. The plus is that maybe one day we'll get promoted via the superbowl
    It's cos the US always tries to push/market/brand their franchises in that way - NBA, WWE, NFL, NHL, MLS. It happened with the Premier League, sorry EPL. They market it as the EPL on the likes of the Fox Soccer Channel, people have only really referred to it as the EPL since the league gained more coverage over there and in other countries who show the Fox Soccer Channel, particularly via streaming.

This is a attempt to whore the Football League brand out to those overseas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    It's cos the US always tries to push/market/brand their franchises in that way - NBA, WWE, NFL, NHL, MLS. It happened with the Premier League, sorry EPL. They market it as the EPL on the likes of the Fox Soccer Channel, people have only really referred to it as the EPL since the league gained more coverage over there and in other countries who show the Fox Soccer Channel, particularly via streaming.

I could tell Shaun Harvey and the other cronies at the football league now that this will not work. Can't ever imagine Preston North End v Rotherham getting much coverage in the states, no matter how well you brand it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I know. Whatever next? Play-offs?!

Oh, wait...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very sad news that ex-Leicester, Coventry, WBA, Sunderland and Tottenham goalkeeper Marton Fulop has died at the age of just 32.
    Christ. I knew he had a tumour removed from his arm a few years ago but I was sure he'd gone into remission.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Intrigued to see how Gillingham get on against Bury this weekend. Both teams within the play-off positions, and the former are really decent at home. Leon Clarke's presence always makes Flitcroft's men dangerous, though.

ReputationRep:
    Intrigued to see how Gillingham get on against Bury this weekend. Both teams within the play-off positions, and the former are really decent at home. Leon Clarke's presence always makes Flitcroft's men dangerous, though.
    I'm saying draw

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How they've kept hold of Rhodes, I don't know. That Marshall is a cracking player too.
    Rhodes would have been too expensive for a Championship club and he wouldn't have been sold to a rival anyway. Premier League clubs don't take punts on Championship strikers because they end up being nothing more than decent finishers who don't bring much to the table.

I'm more surprised a club hasn't taken a punt on Chris Martin. He is probably better than Rhodes, as evidenced by their standings in the international set up and Martin has a decent hold-up game too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

Like all of you it is a change I don't agree with, and not just because there are Welsh teams in the League. The Football League's top division may be the fourth most watched league in Europe, and has many international players in it, but to market it abroad will be of limited value other than maybe via subscription to expats. Unless someone such as Chelsea were to be relegated and for one season it might be different.

ReputationRep:
    Think Chris Martin is too committed to Coldplay to make it in the premiership
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Two superb Wigan goals today in the live game against Rochdale has put them in command, meanwhile in the other live game Altrincham are beating Bromley 3-1
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That logo looks like washing powder you'd buy in Aldi

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.