The Ultimate Football Thread IV Watch

This discussion is closed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Rather a long post my brother, but since it's you I'm giving it a read. In any case, you probably saw the whole match whereas I caught snippets of the second half live and then highlights, so I'll take your match report at its word :p:
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'll try to give an honest view of what I saw:

Both teams started quite well. The only real chance that came in the first 25 mins fell to Milan. A superb dinked ball from Kaka and Pato really should've done better. You'd think it would be too simplistic to say Arsenal bossed the game from then on, but I honestly think it's the truth.

This is not to say Arsenal could've won 4 or 5-0. Milan defended superbly. Despite all of Arsenal's posession, they couldn't produce any clear cut chances. Fabregas had a decent effort strike the bar. I think Adebayor should've done better on a couple of occasions. But Milan had no answer. They were reduced to punting up field and tbh, only a defence as good as theirs could soak up as much pressure as they did and not fold.

The start of the second half was just a continuation from the end of the first. Arsenal attacked and attacked, but Milan were just too tough to break down. Any potential Milan attacks were stifled by an on-fire Flamini (is Kaka out of his pocket?). The game was heading for a draw and needed a moment of brilliance from somebody. Fabregas has a pot-shot and gets lucky.

After that Milan needed to attack in the small space of time remaining. They had a couple of corners, but nothing threatening. After Walcott was put through on the right, he seemed to do remarkably well to stay on his feet after a cynical challenge and he provided a great cross for Adebayor to tap-in.

I'm very proud of the players because Milan are just a brilliant side when it comes to the CL. To outplay them in their backyard (and over 180 mins of football) shows the ability that Arsenal have - with Toure, Van Persie (on bench) and Rosicky missing, no less.

Hopefully this is the boost Arsenal need to get their domestic form back on track.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Synergetic)
with Toure, Van Persie (on bench) and Rosicky missing, no less.
And Eduardo of course.
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It was Maldini's last ever game in Europe tonight. He also put in a typically solid performance tonight, too. A superb player and a model pro.
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
And Eduardo of course.
Not really a first team player. Although thinking about that horrific injury, Milan had Ronaldo out too!
WaW™
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It was Maldini's last ever game in Europe tonight. He also put in a typically solid performance tonight, too. A superb player and a model pro.

Also a model in real life...some people have it all! :grr:
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by WaW™)
Also a model in real life...some people have it all! :grr:
:p: Yep.
WaW™
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:p: Yep.
:motz: :toung:
Ronaldo VII
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
From the San Siro, Arsenal's next game is at the fortress JJB Stadium. Not quite the same ring to it lol.
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I take that back about Arsenal not having clear cut chances. Eboue, Senderos and Walcott all should've done much better in front of goal.

Highlights here.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by m:)ckel)
In my honest opinion Juwel, I wouldn't say the reaction was hyperbolous. Ok, it was not complete domination, but we bossed the majority of the game. I'll try to explain why, being as unbiased as possible.
Explained the hell out of it :p: (I'll just delete what I won't comment on :ninja:)

Kaka, Inzaghi and Pato had (half-)chances - the latter's second effort being the best one to either side in the opening spell but he fortunately sidefooted comfortably to Almunia.
Yeah, he was going for the lob to the far post, bit too clever there.

Just after the 25 minute mark, Arsenal settled into the game and Adebayor had our first serious attempt - and lashing drive which the goalie tipped over. From this moment on, we started stroking the ball around confidently and had a good spell of possession, Milan struggling to get it off us.
I saw a bit of the possession, yeah. Really rather confident play, it began to look like Arsenal belonged on the same pitch as Milan.

Hleb was harshly booked and Cesc rattled the bar on 40 mins.
Yeah, should've had a penalty. Fabregas' effort will have reinforced the Arsenal fans' (and indeed players') belief that the game was by no means beyond them, after the first half hour.

For the rest of the half, the game was played primarily in Milan's final third. The defensive work from the midfield was fantastic also as we started to press them faster and higher up the pitch, forcing Milan to play more loose/hopeful long balls.
Andrea Pirlo was threatening from those long balls. But it's not really where he needs to be, to be dangerous for Milan. He should be closer to Kaka and Pato, and credit goes to Arsenal's midfield for pinning him back.

We ended the half firmly on top but I was afraid we'd missed a good opportunity to take the lead.
I dunno, I didn't see an Arsenal chance in the first half that was better than any of Milan's. Half-chances at that point. But to reduce Milan to half-chances and have some of your own is always encouragement for the underdog.

During half time I was relaxed, in stark contrast to how I was feeling before the match. 30 mins prior to kick off, I think I almost felt like throwing up and I needed to take a dump. We were about to play AC Milan in the bloody San Siro. Bloody hell. But now! Now it was half time and I was eating salmon mate. And it tasted good. Do you know why it tasted so good? Because I could actually concentrate on eating it! I didn't have this worry in the back of my mind about what was going to happen. Of course you're always weary when coming up against a side of such stature, and the result was far from certain. But hey, I'd just seen my team hold their own, and even dominate one of the top European teams (in the CL at least). I could taste that succulent salmon all the way down to my belly.
Yeah man, the salmon, gotta love the salmon.

(Funny ******* )

We played the ball around in the usual fashion, probing for an opening. Milan did come at us again.
Which didn't really look like coming. Adebayor was isolated and then static. Hleb looked like the only one with the creativity to do something. It became quickly clear that Diaby and Eboue were spoiling the broth.

Pirlo tested Almunia with a free kick that bounced just in front of him - pretty routine save though as Manuel tipped it round the post. There was never any sustained pressure, and never any real threat to Almunia. The game meandered along with neither team creating much.
Yeah, Pirlo's free kick was about as good as it got for Milan in the second half. While they'd kept Arsenal out, they had nothing to show of their own. Perhaps they expected to be able to take it to extra time and let stamina win the day. While Arsenal were at least trying, neither team looked like scoring.

The subs were introduced: Gilardino for Inzaghi, Walcott for Eboue. Theo had the best chance of the half, very similar to Pato's in the first. Haven't seen the replay but at the time I was thinking he could've shot. He tried to square, Kalac got a touch and then after a mini scramble, he pounced on the loose ball.
Could've shot near post. Walcott changed it for Arsenal.

Then came the goal. Milan were slightly stretched but not overly. They just backed away too much from Cesc though. Good shot, deserved lead to Arsenal.
As I say, Gattuso was rather lazy/tired and let Fabregas by him too easily. For a speculative effort, he couldn't have got it more in the corner. Fantastic, sent me yelling.

Milan heads (probably) dropped a little and they never looked like scoring. Theo had a good burst down the right, did Kaladze for pace and squared to Ade who couldn't miss this one.
Tall order to score two in five minutes when you hadn't created a cast-iron chance all game. Then Walcott burns his marker and that's all she wrote.

I only had 3 "Oh ****" moments in the match. The first corner, and the next two involving Pato (the first I've already mentioned, the second was when he cut inside Clichy and his shot deflected past the post). Other than that, it wasn't too bad. We took the game to them and were rewarded.
How many "oooh" moments, when it looked like Milan fans would be the ones to worry?

Ok, thinking back I'm not sure to what extent the 'hyperbole' that you're referring to is. But in my mind, we certainly outclassed Milan in all departments.
Some of your fellow fans seem to suggest that it was all Arsenal all the time and Milan never got a sniff. The first 25 minutes alone was proof otherwise. I maintain, given Milan's strength in defence, Arsenal weren't the team most likely until little Theo came on to inject some penetration and urgency in the final third.
m:)ckel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Some of your fellow fans seem to suggest that it was all Arsenal all the time and Milan never got a sniff. The first 25 minutes alone was proof otherwise. I maintain, given Milan's strength in defence, Arsenal weren't the team most likely until little Theo came on to inject some penetration and urgency in the final third.
If that's the case, then I don't agree also. Theo did make a difference as he was doing things, and getting into positions that Eboue hadn't done all game. I remember one specific incident with Eboue in the second half where Cesc (I think) was shaping to pass inside the channel between LB and CB for Eboue to run through on. It was so blindingly obvious what the plan was. I looked at Eboue and he was just standing there. I shouted at the TV "Run, run!" but he was just jogging along. Cesc played it through and of course the defender was first to the ball. "What are you doing Eboue?!" was my next cry.

How many "oooh" moments, when it looked like Milan fans would be the ones to worry?
Before the goals, admittedly about the same. Fabregas, Eboue, Walcott and to a lesser extent Adebayor's first half shot.

What made this such a good performance was we controlled the tempo for large chunks of the game. Bar that first 25 mins, we could have been mistaken as the home team. It wasn't a smash and grab against the European champions, we simply outplayed them. Milan's whole gameplan (over the 2 legs) was clear. Play within themselves at the Emirates, deny us from scoring, finish it off at the San Siro. The onus was on Milan, and they took the game to us in the opening stages as much as we'd taken the game to them in the first leg. The difference being we did it for a much longer time. They (moreso the fans, people associated with AC Milan etc) thought they were going to get a lot of it going their way at home and they were mistaken.

I know you weren't arguing against this, but I'm just saying innit.
WaW™
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Leroy Lita has signed for Charlton for 28 days...what happened to him, last season he was on fire!
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Newcastle have had their appeal to allow Joey Barton to play against Liverpool this weekend turned down by the courts.

Barton is not allowed on Merseyside as part of the bail conditions ahead of his trial for assault and affray after an incident in Liverpool city centre in December.

The club have appealed for Barton to be able to face Liverpool on Saturday and then Everton on the final day of the season but they have been denied.
rotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
****, Milan may even not qualify for next years champions league unless their serie A playing improves.
CJ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by WaW™)
Leroy Lita has signed for Charlton for 28 days...what happened to him, last season he was on fire!
Injured himself streching in bed :toofunny:

Just struggled to come back from it, it would seem.
(Original post by rotor)
****, Milan may even not qualify for next years champions league unless their serie A playing improves.
Would be really odd for them not to be in the competition :s: I wonder if this'll have a knock on effect with their players...
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
(Original post by <CJ>)
Would be really odd for them not to be in the competition :s: I wonder if this'll have a knock on effect with their players...
Kaka and Pato on the cheap would be nice
Weezy F
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Pirlo alongside Fabregas :yy:
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Weezy F)
Pirlo alongside Fabregas :yy:
Pirlo alongside Flamini :yy:
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Kaka alongside Hargreaves :yy:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (421)
43.67%
No (102)
10.58%
I'm not old enough (441)
45.75%

Watched Threads