Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    In relation to that, I've seen the first job I'm semi interested in today. Only issue is that it is in a private school which makes me a bit hesitant. Anyone have any experience of the private sector? I'm guessing better behaviour but higher standards. Also unsure if private schools are as likely to hire an NQT, but I may apply anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Private schools generally have longer holidays but much more expected of staff and students during term time. My understanding is that the pressure is immense - e.g. If a child is being lazy and not completing work phoning home is far less effective because parents are paying thousands of pounds for YOU to deal with that.

I, personally, will not be touching private education with a barge pole for NQT year. Maybe in the future when established, definitely not now.

ReputationRep:
    In relation to that, I've seen the first job I'm semi interested in today. Only issue is that it is in a private school which makes me a bit hesitant. Anyone have any experience of the private sector? I'm guessing better behaviour but higher standards. Also unsure if private schools are as likely to hire an NQT, but I may apply anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have also heard that workload can be crazy. My union creates extra resources about managing work life balance for those in the private sector... I feel like if its known for being bad, knowing how bad teaching in general is, it must be pretty tough.

Really it's more unpredictable because you don't know what your conditions are going to be, unlike with the maintained sector where you mostly know you've got the same (even many academies just stick to the same conditions). So in theory it could be lovely but it could also be awful!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Two of my friends from my first placement were both hired by private schools...........

Which became a joke among us as they both were educated in private schools.

My good friend who I still speak to got sacked last year as the person who use to work at the school returned...........No idea how the other guy got on but they do hire NQTs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobble1987)
    Private schools generally have longer holidays but much more expected of staff and students during term time. My understanding is that the pressure is immense - e.g. If a child is being lazy and not completing work phoning home is far less effective because parents are paying thousands of pounds for YOU to deal with that.

I, personally, will not be touching private education with a barge pole for NQT year. Maybe in the future when established, definitely not now.
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I have also heard that workload can be crazy. My union creates extra resources about managing work life balance for those in the private sector... I feel like if its known for being bad, knowing how bad teaching in general is, it must be pretty tough.

Really it's more unpredictable because you don't know what your conditions are going to be, unlike with the maintained sector where you mostly know you've got the same (even many academies just stick to the same conditions). So in theory it could be lovely but it could also be awful!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Broadhallian)
    Two of my friends from my first placement were both hired by private schools...........

Which became a joke among us as they both were educated in private schools.

My good friend who I still speak to got sacked last year as the person who use to work at the school returned...........No idea how the other guy got on but they do hire NQTs.
    Thanks for the replies. Hmm, yes...that is quite offputting . Apart from the private school bit it sounds like the perfect job that I've been looking for. A-level politics/economics. There is a possibility it may only be 0.5, which wouldn't necessarily bother me and may reduce the stress. The interview is on a week that I will be off because of an operation so that sort of makes the decision for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I just thought I would post on here with a little update. I'm starting second placement on Monday in an ASD base for four weeks. I am really excited about this as it is going to be the basis of my second masters module. We had a careers fair yesterday at uni which was so interesting! I am getting very excited about applying for jobs- there are just so many! It is hard to know where to start. Also started studying for the CCRS long distance which is quite interesting and my wedding plans are now in full swing for August! I don't think I will be sleeping for a while but have no regrets about what I am doing. I just wanted to say to the people that are having doubts a PGCE is still worth while- my friend now works in museum education and a PGCE qualification was the requirement. I hope everyone has fantastic weekends! It is really not long left to go. xx

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have suggestions for sites they use for ideas for resources/activities apart from TES? Especially for secondary/FE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Me again with another question this time a bit of overthinking on my part anyway.

I have an assignment for uni based on feedback I give children in my school so I picked out a few girls in year 7 and they were happy to help.

Today after school we did a small focus group and I bought them sweets as a 'thank you for helping me when you didn't really need to'.

Now my question is am I allowed to give them sweets? It's not like I've ever given them sweets and won't in the future either but it just felt normal and the right thing to do that? (I don't wanna debate if it's healthy or the right mind set to have) but as a teacher am I allowed to give them sweets?

Don't know why I feel like theres a possibility a parent will come in and say how dare u etc etc :/ didn't think it through when buying the sweets.
    I've given sweets to some of my classes, and haven't had any comeback. If you're worried, perhaps discuss it with your mentor, but I really can't see there being any issue.

(Original post by gemmam)
    Anyone have suggestions for sites they use for ideas for resources/activities apart from TES? Especially for secondary/FE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Other than TES, things tend to be subject specific - which subject(s) do you teach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    I've given sweets to some of my classes, and haven't had any comeback. If you're worried, perhaps discuss it with your mentor, but I really can't see there being any issue.

Other than TES, things tend to be subject specific - which subject(s) do you teach?
    English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.teachit.co.uk/

The lifesaver of our department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    http://www.teachit.co.uk/

The lifesaver of our department.
    Looks good. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.literacyshed.com

Lots of films, stories, pictures along with ideas to build lessons around them. For all ages, and very open so could easily adapt to older pupils.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a job on the 13th of Jan and receieved this email from the head 18th Jan on a SUNDAY: "Thank you for your application – I will contact you later this week with further details – if you feel you would like to visit the school, please contact me and we can arrange that". The closing date on the website is 20th Feb. I was wondering if it is a mistake, and the date is supposed to be 20th Jan. What does this mean? Have I got an interview? Or do head teachers usually email "thank you"..why on a Sunday? (Like she went out of her way) I am confused,hopeful, anxious and happy all at the same time. Has this happened to anyone before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camcam88)
    I applied for a job on the 13th of Jan and receieved this email from the head 18th Jan on a SUNDAY: "Thank you for your application – I will contact you later this week with further details – if you feel you would like to visit the school, please contact me and we can arrange that". The closing date on the website is 20th Feb. I was wondering if it is a mistake, and the date is supposed to be 20th Jan. What does this mean? Have I got an interview? Or do head teachers usually email "thank you"..why on a Sunday? (Like she went out of her way) I am confused,hopeful, anxious and happy all at the same time. Has this happened to anyone before?
    Head teachers will likely be checking and sending emails every Sunday so that in itself is not unusual. I would try not to read too much in to it, its probably just that s/he knows other jobs may come up and wants you to know things are happening. It could mean many things though, so just continue as you would have. It doesn't mean you have an interview but it does sound promising

I'd also take her offer of a visit up if you have a chance, as it reflects well on you, gives you a chance to impress them and show your passion and gives you a chance to check out the school more!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Having to miss uni days in the hope I'll feel better by Wednesday. After fainting on the stairs on Friday I've spent the weekend feeling like I've been hit with a bus. I have an awful rash all across my stomach and my headaches and muscle pains are awful.

As long as I'm partially alive by Wednesday I'll be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Having to miss uni days in the hope I'll feel better by Wednesday. After fainting on the stairs on Friday I've spent the weekend feeling like I've been hit with a bus. I have an awful rash all across my stomach and my headaches and muscle pains are awful.

Get better soon
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope you feel better soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    http://www.literacyshed.com

Lots of films, stories, pictures along with ideas to build lessons around them. For all ages, and very open so could easily adapt to older pupils.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks

Anyone else regret doing their PGCE? I think I'm starting too. Got a paper due tomorrow done about half of it over the weekend and was planning to finish it off tonight; my laptop won't connect to the internet so can't do it I've also been feeling really anxious and been having trouble sleeping the last couple of weeks; and I feel that all I do is moan about my course to my mum and boyfriend

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Anyone else regret doing their PGCE? I think I'm starting too. Got a paper due tomorrow done about half of it over the weekend and was planning to finish it off tonight; my laptop won't connect to the internet so can't do it I've also been feeling really anxious and been having trouble sleeping the last couple of weeks; and I feel that all I do is moan about my course to my mum and boyfriend

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't like it, but I don't regret it because I didn't have an alternative and I'd probably be unemployed and feeling pretty crap if I didn't do it! I'm pretty certain I'm not going to go into teaching, but I'll be glad to get the qualification.

I do the same as you and moan to my mum and boyfriend. The poor people :lol: . Just think though, we are halfway through. Not long now! And you don't have to go into teaching if you don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it, but I don't regret it because I didn't have an alternative and I'd probably be unemployed and feeling pretty crap if I didn't do it! I'm pretty certain I'm not going to go into teaching, but I'll be glad to get the qualification.

I do the same as you and moan to my mum and boyfriend. The poor people :lol: . Just think though, we are halfway through. Not long now! And you don't have to go into teaching if you don't want to.
    Yeah I think I'd probably be on the dole if I wasn't doing the PGCE too. I don't know what to do about this assignment; its for a presentation I'm doing Wednesday but I think the papers have to be handed in tomorrow. My course is so badly organised and I'm already behind cause I was signed off before Christmas so Im not entirely sure whats going on. I still want to get into teaching however I'm not enjoying the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I don't want to sound like I'm being harsh but did you seriously do this because you couldn't get a job?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.