Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Loving the series so far, much more than last year. Don't see why people are getting so hung up on the sonic sunglasses? It's just a gimmick, exactly like the screwdriver. Just gives Capaldi a bit more personality.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Loving the series so far, much more than last year. Don't see why people are getting so hung up on the sonic sunglasses? It's just a gimmick, exactly like the screwdriver. Just gives Capaldi a bit more personality.
    It would be like changing the tardis to be a submarine or something. The Doctor, the tardis and the sonic screwdriver have been there from the start. To me it's almost disrespectful to origins of show.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    It would be like changing the tardis to be a submarine or something. The Doctor, the tardis and the sonic screwdriver have been there from the start. To me it's almost disrespectful to origins of show.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The sonic screwdriver wasn't added until the end of Troughtons time as the doctor, didn't become a major thing until Pertwee and was phased out during Davidsons stint so it was only really around for the seventies in the original series.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The shows gone down hill since Ten left
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    The sonic screwdriver wasn't added until the end of Troughtons time as the doctor, didn't become a major thing until Pertwee and was phased out during Davidsons stint so it was only really around for the seventies in the original series.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry I meant start of New Who

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's no different to when they gave The Master a laser screwdriver which was more powerful than the sonic screwdriver because it used light (lolwut?). Not to mention he used it to age The Doctor with no reason in sight as to how he did it, but people don't care about this because Tennant was there.

The big thing for me is that I could easily see Capaldi's portrayal of The Doctor doing something like this, if he were a real person. He would definitely get some sonic sunglasses, we all know he would. He's weird and quirky and doesn't do what all the other Doctors have done. I love it .
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    It's no different to when they gave The Master a laser screwdriver which was more powerful than the sonic screwdriver because it used light (lolwut?). Not to mention he used it to age The Doctor with no reason in sight as to how he did it, but people don't care about this because Tennant was there.

The big thing for me is that I could easily see Capaldi's portrayal of The Doctor doing something like this, if he were a real person. He would definitely get some sonic sunglasses, we all know he would. He's weird and quirky and doesn't do what all the other Doctors have done. I love it .
    Oh those episodes annoyed me lol. Yeah but practically sonic sunglasses just aren't as maneuverable as a sonic screwdriver...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's just such a tiny detail, like Smith having a fez. I can't imagine getting hung up on such a small detail when the quality of the episodes has been fantastic.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    It's just such a tiny detail, like Smith having a fez. I can't imagine getting hung up on such a small detail when the quality of the episodes has been fantastic.
    The first double parter I thought was awful

Additions I think are great, changes I just don't like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charles_worthex)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cara made some cards for the doctor for him to me more sympathetic but he didn't really apply them right

So you spoiler something that's already happened in an episode but you decide you don't need to spoiler when you say
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The cards were great, it's a shame jenna is leaving her role soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    So you spoiler something that's already happened in an episode but you decide you don't need to spoiler when you say
    yeah, I was describing what had happened and didn't know if people would want to know it that in depth before seeing, even though it was a tiny clip with nothing to do with the story line so I put it in the spoilers, the other thing I said wasn't a spoiler so I didn't use the spoiler

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I was describing what had happened and didn't know if people would want to know it that in depth before seeing, even though it was a tiny clip with nothing to do with the story line so I put it in the spoilers, the other thing I said wasn't a spoiler so I didn't use the spoiler
    How is the other one not a spoiler??

ReputationRep:
    How is the other one not a spoiler??
    The fact that I mentioned the cards? That had already been mentioned and as I said a tiny part of the story line. It really wasn't a spoiler :/ there were people who mentioned the cards and what they were before me, without spoilers?

ReputationRep:
    The fact that I mentioned the cards? That had already been mentioned and as I said a tiny part of the story line. It really wasn't a spoiler :/ there were people who mentioned the cards and what they were before me, without spoilers?
    I'm not sure I'm getting through to you...

The cards weren't a spoiler and you have just agreed that they weren't yet you still put them in spoilers. That's not the point though. The irony is that you put that in spoilers yet the fact that
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Clara is leaving
    wasn't put in spoilers. Just go back to the post where you mentioned that and put it in spoilers.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes it was, if it's not happened on screen yet it's a spoiler.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I'm getting through to you...

The cards weren't a spoiler and you have just agreed that they weren't yet you still put them in spoilers. That's not the point though. The irony is that you put that in spoilers yet the fact that
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Clara is leaving
    wasn't put in spoilers. Just go back to the post where you mentioned that and put it in spoilers.
    Thought people knew as it's on the news whoops

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was, if it's not happened on screen yet it's a spoiler.
    At that point I was still referring to the card bit, I was a tad confuzzled
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thought people new as it's on the news whoops
    Even if it's been announced and on the news, it's still a spoiler until it happens. Some of us purposefully ignore news on whats to come to avoid ruining the suspense.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it's been announced and on the news, it's still a spoiler until it happens. Some of us purposefully ignore news on whats to come to avoid ruining the suspense.
    That's fair enough, I just got the wrong idea as to what the they were going on about, I would of sorted it beforehand had I of noticed that's what they meant

ReputationRep:
    Oh those episodes annoyed me lol. Yeah but practically sonic sunglasses just aren't as maneuverable as a sonic screwdriver...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why do they need to be maneuverable? All he has to do is keep them in his pocket and press a button and magic happens.

Also, lol at the idea of keeping away from DW news and then going to a discussion thread...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.