Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjasrule)
    My school day is almost 7 hours and we have 5x50 minute lessons of each subject during the week - but I've counted biology which I'm doing at home as part of my school study time. Overall we have 6 lesson slots a day.
    Also everyone does a extra compulsory 3x50 minutes (2 of sport and one of general studies). ^.^ I only have two private study/free sessions a week but I use my lunch time for extra study time (it's over an hour long so why not).
    Aw, have you spoken to the librarian or the school council about possibly ordering a few more study books?
    Oh wow, that must be tiring! Are you self-teaching Biology then? If so I am in awe, you must be very determinated! Ah, I was supposed to be doing Critical Thinking, but our head of year decided that only people who were free in a certain option block could do it, so my friends and I are pretty annoyed :/ Our lunch is only forty minutes, it used to be 45 but got shortened I may have to, they really need to get books that we can actually use to study from. I looked at my local library too and there weren't any there either, so I may have to order some from Amazon.
    (Original post by Joe7)
    I'm doing Tsarist and Stalinist, you?
    I'm doing Tsarist Russia too, and Stalinist in year 13
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie97)
    Ugh, I honestly don't know what I'd do with all that time. Every day I have 2 frees and luckily, they are never straight after each other. This guy in my year had lessons 9-11 the other day and then had to wait until 3 to go home. :yucky:
    On Thursday I had two frees right after each other and I had nothing to do, it was pretty boring. But now I've done some lessons and have been given some textbooks for French, I'm thinking I will go through some grammar and vocab because I may as well. And then once a book for English arrives from Amazon (probably on Tuesday) I will read that in my frees - I'd rather do homework where I need full concentration at home, and stuff like reading at school.

My Grandparents live near the school so if I need to go in early on Monday's I might go there and do homework, I'll see what I feel like. Sitting around for 3 hours might get unproductive after a while so I might want to change my surroundings. It also means that I get nicer food than what's available at school

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing about Nazi Germany for history. I'm quite looking forward to it. Hopefully won't be at too much of a disadvantage not doing it for GCSE:grin:

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys doing in terms of extra work? At the moment I'm solving extra equations for maths, going over notes and making flashcards in bio and chem, and reading ahead for geog, but I'm not sure if I'm going about this in the right ways...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiecat)
    What are you guys doing in terms of extra work? At the moment I'm solving extra equations for maths, going over notes and making flashcards in bio and chem, and reading ahead for geog, but I'm not sure if I'm going about this in the right ways...
    I've not really done loads of extra work yet, but I've done a bit. My subjects are different but I may as well explain some stuff for others too. Today for French I've been writing some grammar notes into neat to put into my huge arch lever file. I will need to refer to these throughout the course so I thought it'd be good to get ahead of it (also it's revision writing them up before we go over them again in class.) And then I wrote some vocab lists too. I might also read ahead in the textbooks/look over what's there so I'm ready before each lesson.

I'm going to do the same for Spanish, and then for English Literature I think I'm going to do some research on the plays we're looking at to get a wider idea of context, and maybe look at some essays online to get a better idea of what mine will need to be like for the coursework. For English Language I don't really know yet, we haven't done much but I think I might go get a revision guide and learn all the technical terminology because the examiners like to see that in the coursework.

I think I might organise into a timetable when I'm going to do independent study for each subject because I want to make sure I do it in every subject instead of just focusing on one or two.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody doing the College Honours Programme? (...Or heard of it?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
    Hurrah for vinyls!

We had an induction week for Sixth Form (a whole week, gr), and our German teacher was away so I had an extra free period every day Ah bless you! Though surely guys would judge you similarly based on first impressions? We have two guys and five girls in our German. Do you start tomorrow?
    I think I'm going to develop an addiction to collecting records...

A whole week? Why did you need a whole week? Surely a day is enough. Hm, maybe guys are them same, but I don't know, I can sort of start creating 'banter' with a guy straight away, whereas I don't really want to come across as a **** to a girl...

Yeah I FINALLY start tomorrow. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    Welcome to the new current year 12 thread, our home for the next year. (We’re now in the A Level forum :woo: )! that must mean we have matured :eek: This is the start of 2 very important years for us and A levels can be hard but that won't scare us! We have a high target to beat last year’s year 12s so let's all work hard :sogood:

Below is a list of subjects and exam boards that we are all taking, I'm sure it will be useful when you need somebody to help you (Newcomers please quote me if you wish to be added )
    Subjects

Mathematics

AQA: Red Fox ; a123a ; turtleslikekiwi ; tsjmcgrath ; FelixTheKat ; Aimen_Hassan ; JPL9457 ; sr234 ; themancunian ; KirenA ;
    Edexcel: Zed963 ; aasvogel ; Peaches & cream ; Zerock ; wakemeup ; infinity_4652 ; Gracey11 ; MattFletcher ; Ambulare ; Mollyh77 ; Sarahiscool ; Farhan96 ; SophieB1997 ; Elm Tree ; LeFailFish ; Teh Smart One ; Georgiecat ; Dalek1099 ; Darnell LD97 ; architect_2022 ; NikolaT ; Thekingsays ; Peaaceandl0ve ; XxKingSniprxX ; Toriar ; Vashappeninkira ; Glitch96 ;
    OCR: Tibbz2 ; Liv_97 ; SophF_rth ; overthelove ; mitchellshazia ; JustaDreamer ; emcat ; sarcasmrules ; LeoMantys ; Molly_xox ; NinjaPandaa ;
    MEI: Techno836 ; The Financier ; lilmi52_elmo ; Lucas. ; Meliss ;
    WJEC: L'Evil Fish ; Cynical. : blamethenargles ;
    CCEA: Molly648 ; Niassuh ;

Biology

AQA: Zed963 ; Molly648 ; Peaches & cream ; Zerock ; wakemeup ; Gracey11 ; Gretel_ ; emcat ; LeFailFish ; Teh Smart One ; Georgiecat ; sr234 ; Politepedant ;
    Edexcel: turtleslikekiwi ; JustaDreamer ; lolface32 ; alicemforsyth ; Dannyboy1236 ;
    OCR: Techno836 ; Molly_xox ; a123a ; lilmi52_elmo ; obdreno ; mitchellshazia ; Sarahiscool ; Aimen_Hassan ; DianaOJ ; EvasiveRose ; Vashappeninkira ;
    OCR- A: HeyThereHarry ; overthelove ;
    OCR-B: Liv_97 ;
    WJEC: vampirebobfish ;
    CCEA: mascot of NI ; Mollyh77 ; Niassuh ;

Chemistry

AQA: Zed963 ; Peaches & cream ; Zerock ; Molly_xox ; Gracey11 ; Cynical. : Gretel_ ; Farhan96 ; LeFailFish ; JPL9457 ; sr234 ;
    Edexcel: Liv_97 ; SophieB1997 ; Georgiecat ;
    OCR-A: Techno836 ; L'Evil Fish ; Red Fox ; HeyThereHarry ; Tibbz2 ; mascot of NI ; Molly648 ; wakemeup ; a123a ; Sophie238 ; MattFletcher ; lilmi52_elmo ; overthelove ; mitchellshazia ; JustaDreamer ; FelixTheKat ; Elm Tree ; Aimen_Hassan ; DianaOJ ; lolface32 ; Darnell LD97 ; vampirebobfish ; Dannyboy1236 ; EvasiveRose ; LeoManys ; Vashappeninkira ;
    OCR-B(salters): turtleslikekiwi ; obdreno
    WJEC:
    CCEA: Mollyh77 ; Niassuh ;

Physics

AQA - A: Zed963 ; Zerock ; Cynical. : Farhan96 ; LeFailFish ; Teh Smart One ; Dalek1099 ; JPL9457 ; LeoManys ; Glitch96 ;
    AQA - B:
    Edexcel: turtleslikekiwi ; mitchellshazia ; SophieB1997 ; lolface32 ; Darnell LD97 ; XxKingSniprxX ;
    OCR-A: Techno836 ; L'Evil Fish ; Red Fox ; infinity_4652 ; Sarahiscool ; FelixTheKat ; Elm Tree ; Aimen_Hassan ; vampirebobfish ; architect_2022 ; themancunian ; a123a ;
    OCR-B: Tibbz2 ; MattFletcher ;
    WJEC:
    CCEA: Mollyh77 (maybe) ;

English Language and Literature

AQA: Ambulare ;
    Edexcel:
    OCR:
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

English Literature

AQA: Dougieowner ; JustaDreamer ; emcat ; harrybithell 196 ; alicemforsyth ; Politepedant ; NinjaPandaa ;
    Edexcel:
    OCR: Sophie238 ; Dannyboy1236 ; EvasiveRose ;
    WJEC: blamethenargles ; jenniejubjub ;
    CCEA: mascot of NI ; aasvogel ;

English Language

AQA: Tess_rach ; Dougieowner ;
    Edexcel: Mr.Nor ;
    OCR:
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Further Maths

AQA: Red Fox ; FelixTheKat ; Aimen_Hassan ; JPL9457 ; themancunian ;
    Edexcel: aasvogel ; infinity_4652 ; Mollyh77 ; Sarahiscool ; Farhan96 ; SophieB1997 ; Dalek1099 ; Darnell LD97 ;
    OCR: Tibbz2 ; mitchellshazia ; sarcasmrules ; LeoManys ; NinjaPandaa ;
    MEI: (Techno836) ; The Financier ; Meliss ;
    WJEC: L'Evil Fish ;
    CCEA:

Additional Further Maths

Edexcel:
    MEI: The Financier ;

Statistics

AQA:
    MEI (AS):

History

AQA: Mr.Nor ; Ambulare ; Politepedant ; Peaaceandl0ve ; Vashappeninkira ;
    Edexcel: tsjmcgrath ; Sophie238 ; harrybithell 196 ; XxKingSniprxX ; Red Fox ;
    OCR: Tess_rach ; emcat ; Teh Smart One ; alicemforsyth ; KirenA ;
    OCR B: architect_2022 ;
    WJEC: jenniejubjub ; EvasiveRose ;
    CCEA: Niassuh ;

Ancient History

AQA:
    Edexcel:
    OCR: themancunian ;
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Geography

AQA: Molly648 ; obdreno ; Georgiecat ; gomg ; alicemforsyth ; Dannyboy1236 ; Dalek1099 ;
    Edexcel: Liv_97 ; Peaaceandl0ve ;
    OCR: Sarahiscool ; vampirebobfish ;
    WJEC: L'Evil Fish ;
    CCEA:

Spanish

AQA: Tess_rach ; Molly_xox ;
    Edexcel: HeyThereHarry ; lizziecr ;
    OCR:
    WJEC: Dougieowner ; blamethenargles ; harrybithell 196 ;
    CCEA: mascot of NI ; aasvogel ;

French

AQA: Tess_rach ; Sophie238 ; obdreno ; gomg ; Toriar ; Meliss ;
    Edexcel: sarcasmrules ; XxKingSniprxX (A2) ;
    OCR: infinity_4652 ;
    WJEC: L'Evil Fish ; Dougieowner ; overthelove ;
    CCEA: aasvogel ;

German

AQA: Gracey11 ; SophieB1997 ; Peaaceandl0ve ;
    Edexcel: Peaches & cream ; lizziecr ;
    OCR:
    WJEC: Aimen_Hassan (A2) ; Lucas. ;
    CCEA:

Mandarin

AQA:
    Edexcel: NinjaPandaa ;
    OCR:
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Latin

AQA:
    Edexcel:
    OCR: NikolaT ;
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Psychology

AQA: wakemeup ; Gretel_ ; DianaOJ ; lolface32 ;
    AQA B:
    Edexcel: Lucas. ;
    OCR: SophF_rth ;
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Economics

AQA: tsjmcgrath ; lilmi52_elmo ; sr234 ; NikolaT ; Politepedant ; XxKingSniprxX ; KirenA ; Toriar ; Glitch96 ;
    Edexcel: The Financier ; Elm Tree ; lizziecr ;
    OCR: Thekingsays ; NinjaPandaa ;
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Law

AQA:
    Edexcel:
    OCR: harrybithell 196 ;
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Music

AQA:
    Edexcel: blamethenargles ; iLOVEmusic1234 ;
    OCR:
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Geology

AQA:
    Edexcel:
    OCR: HeyThereHarry ;
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Business Studies

AQA: SophF_rth ; Ambulare ;
    Edexcel:
    OCR:
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Government and Politics

AQA:
    Edexcel: SophF_rth ;
    OCR:
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Politics

AQA:
    Edexcel:
    OCR: NikolaT ;
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Philosophy and Ethics

AQA:
    Edexcel: XxKingSniprxX ;
    OCR: Gretel_ ;
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

Computing

AQA: The Financier ; FelixTheKat ; lizziecr ; sarcasmrules ;
    Edexcel:
    OCR: Glitch96 ;
    WJEC:
    CCEA:

IT

AQA:
    Edexcel:
    OCR:
    WJEC: MattFletcher ;
    CCEA:

Welsh Baccalaureate

WJEC: L'Evil Fish ; Cynical. :

Sociology

AQA: DianaOJ ; iLOVEmusic1234 ; Lucas. ; KirenA ;
    OCR: Mr.Nor ; Toriar ;

Dance

AQA: Tess_rach

Drama

AQA: Cynical. :
    WJEC: jenniejubjub ;

Film

WJEC: Mr.Nor ;

Product Design

AQA: Tsjmcgrath ;

Media

OCR: iLOVEmusic1234 ;
    AQA: gomg ;
    WJEC: jenniejubjub ;

Fine Art

Edexcel: architect_2022

Religious Studies

AQA: Thekingsays ;

Music Technology

Edexcel: Meliss ;

Scottish Highers

Princepieman :- Higher French, English, Maths, Physics Technological Studies and (Chemistry)

Make sure you work your hardest all year and I'm sure the next results day will be fine, and in order to work hard here are some useful links below ( I'll add some more as I find them

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk - For Maths
    http://www.Chemguide.co.uk - For Chemistry

And Finally if you have any query about A-level Choices or University choices make sure you ask/quote L'evil Fish or drop him a PM I will also answer any regarding Medicine or direct you to more helpful thread

Best of luck for the forthcoming year! :cool:
    OCR A: Biology (self taught), Chemistry, Physics
    AQA: Mathematics, Spanish, French

But I'm dropping one of the languages

Oh wow, that must be tiring! Are you self-teaching Biology then? If so I am in awe, you must be very determinated! Ah, I was supposed to be doing Critical Thinking, but our head of year decided that only people who were free in a certain option block could do it, so my friends and I are pretty annoyed :/ Our lunch is only forty minutes, it used to be 45 but got shortened I may have to, they really need to get books that we can actually use to study from. I looked at my local library too and there weren't any there either, so I may have to order some from Amazon.
    It is, but I completely clear out my Sundays of any studying which is fine for me ^_^
    Yep I am doing self-taught bio, but I go to the bio teachers whenever I need help with something although this website I use is great! http://asbiology101.wordpress.com/
    Wow, that's completely unfair :/ - it really only needs about an hour of teaching a week if it's similar to general studies
    Nooo, don't buy them - use the internet! If you're going to buy anything, buy a couple of revision guides for each subject but otherwise keep nagging the librarian until you get better books XD

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, haven't posted much lately so I'm just dropping by this thread after my first week of sixth form.
    So far I love it! I'm doing OCR History, Psychology & Biology and WJEC Sociology. I'll be truthful and say I was not expecting to get so much homework and stuff already (I've had 9 pieces of homework and only been in for 4 days!) but I don't mind because I love all the subjects. I've also done some extra studying as well which I feel like is what is going to stop me from falling behind and getting too stressed.
    I hope everyone is enjoying year 12 so far - despite being extra tired along with all the other big changes, we'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas.)
    German, Psychology and Sociology. You?
    Cool; psychology must be interesting! I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    Might begin writing my Prefect-application ooh, how wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Tsarist Russia too, and Stalinist in year 13
    Don't be most people on TSR would probably agree that General Studies/Critical Thinking are a waste of time-they aren't respected at all by virtually all universities these subjects make Business look a facilitating subject and they are really just league table points boosters for Colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    Cool; psychology must be interesting! I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit.
    Yeah I think it's really interestting. Oh God, good luck with English Lit hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm desperately looking for 2 tickets for the 1975 at Leeds stylus uni on the 23rd september. Can you all please spread the word and anybody message me if you are selling them or know somebody who is. I'm prepared to pay money!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas.)
    Yeah I think it's really interestting. Oh God, good luck with English Lit hahaha.
    Jolly good Haha thanks; for some reason I think i'm gonna need it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    Jolly good Haha thanks; for some reason I think i'm gonna need it...
    I'm sure you will too... Or maybe that's just me being biased because I detested English Lit at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dougieowner)
    I've not really done loads of extra work yet, but I've done a bit. My subjects are different but I may as well explain some stuff for others too. Today for French I've been writing some grammar notes into neat to put into my huge arch lever file. I will need to refer to these throughout the course so I thought it'd be good to get ahead of it (also it's revision writing them up before we go over them again in class.) And then I wrote some vocab lists too. I might also read ahead in the textbooks/look over what's there so I'm ready before each lesson.

I'm going to do the same for Spanish, and then for English Literature I think I'm going to do some research on the plays we're looking at to get a wider idea of context, and maybe look at some essays online to get a better idea of what mine will need to be like for the coursework. For English Language I don't really know yet, we haven't done much but I think I might go get a revision guide and learn all the technical terminology because the examiners like to see that in the coursework.

I think I might organise into a timetable when I'm going to do independent study for each subject because I want to make sure I do it in every subject instead of just focusing on one or two.
    I have a tip for English language - we have to keep a scrapbook of articles and real-life texts that we annotate in preparation for the exam :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be loving Sixth Form, I already hate it.
    I've barely had any lessons and I feel like I'm behind!
    I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and Italian (no lessons on latter, just taking the exams).
    I'm not very good with all the frees I got, I can't concentrate but I'll learn, somehow.
    I am so glad I'm not doing Business Studies anymore, I completely hated it for the few hours I had it, but I don't understand why some people look down on it? It seems like a hard course so I don't get what all the fuss is about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie97)
    :eek: There's like 30 kids in my year.
    Seems we're on the extremes I love having 999 other people in my year though, it's perfect!

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.